It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Ayurvedic Medicine - Heavy Metal Warning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Dangerous levels of heavy metals including lead, mercury and arsenic have been found to be contained in the Ayurvedic Medicine range. The Journal of the American Medical Association has reported potentially damaging levels of the metals in stocks sold in the Boston area, along with high levels found in products sold elsewhere including India and England.

www.cbc.ca
Ayurvedic medicinal products are often imported from India, where they are used in traditional Indian healing. Practitioners and followers believe the heavy metals in the products carry therapeutic value.

Western scientists say heavy metals pose a health risk because they accumulate in vital organs. Children are particularly susceptible to heavy metal poisoning.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

One of the Ayurvedic medicines involved in the health warning called Safi, was found to contain levels of Arsenic forty times the limit allowable in such medication. Safi is used as a blood purifer.

The heavy metals found in these medications are dangerous because they remain and build up in vital organs of the body including the liver and kidneys. They are especially harmful for children. Toxic heavy metals cause a range of serious symptoms and illnesses including nausea, headaches, tremors, reduced memory function brain damage and organ shutdown.

The heavy metals in the products are supposed to be removed during the process of making the medication and these high toxic levels are believed due to improper practises during this process.

Related News Links:
hc-sc.gc.ca

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Yes, that form of holistic medicine uses more "mineral" based types of concoctions that China or Western herbalism, but it is supposed to be used at a minimum. They are the second oldest form of earth medicine, China is oldest, with western as third.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Well thanks for the information, I like ayurvedic medicine and my mother also, I still find it better than the concoctions we are fed by the pharmaceuticals here in the US.

I will tried any natural remedy before submitting my body to manufactured drugs.

If nothing natural works then I will use them.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
How many side effects do pharmicuticals have, deadly, and they treat symptoms, not the cause!

I will very rarely ever, take pharms. Migrane is about it.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Thanks ADVISOR, I was one of those that took all the now controversial medicines, bextra, vioxx, naprocen and neurotin, for 4 years before going through surgery, after all at the end it was a reason for my pain, I am all better now.

But while I was under the pain killers, I was taken two times to the emergency with palpitations, I had my blood pressure, 180/120 but not hart attack, I was diagnosed with "panic attacks" but I was never told that the pain killers could be the cause.

Then my doctor wanted me to take paxil for it. Can you believe that?

Well I am out of all that stuff now, and I did not qualify for the law sue because I didn't die or have a hart attack.

What a joke.

Now about the Ayurvedic Medicine, I have to be careful with the silver because it will give me side effects.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I was reading about Ayurvedic medicine recently and I saw many people saying it was superior to western medicine. I am not surpised of the contents of mercury, aresenic and others metals and minerals, as it has some kind of esoteric value. Mercury in particular suppose to enhance your life and improve your "chi" or "prana" otherwise known as life force. It was actually discovered recently that Mercury and other few metals can actually improve cell life.

Most of ayurvedic medicine is based on herbs and oils and thus have little to no side affects or hamful effects. While conventional medicine have too many side effects, can also cause dependence and are actually seen by ayurvedic practioners as lesser effective.

I think it's more probable that the high content of these metals is just improper manufacturing by certain companies of ayurvedic products.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
There is actually an ayurvedic business where I live. The man who runs it is colloquially refered to as the swami (tho I don't know if he actually is). Very nice man, very interesting to see him out for a stroll in his saffron robes and similarly coloured baseball cap.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Ayurveda, Chinese and other ancient medical systems are all about dealing with each individual as an individual, with unique needs and problems.

Modern "medicine" and pharmacology look for the one-size-fits-all blockbuster. Doesn't work.

The latest trend in modern medicine is 'personalized medicine' - a kind of poor cousin to the old schools, and not covered by insurance anyway.

IMO - This is just more AMA crud - a powerplay. Trying to cover up their own inadequacies by attacking the competition.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
well, that's pretty much how it is supposed to work. Introduce small amounts of toxins to force the body to respond, like boosting an immune system.

Unfortunately, with bigger companies hoping to milk the possible profits, and hoping to prey on ignorance, dangerous stuff is cranked out.

A lot of alternative medicine comes from places and people where the money and resources for so-called "modern" medicine is limited or non existent-unfortunately, a lot of those same areas are places with pollution problems, or are on land that is borderline inhabitable, with contaminants in soil or water. These things will find themselves in the plants these people will harvest for use.

top topics

join