It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typhoon Hagibis swept away Fukushima nuclear decontamination waste bags into river

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
a reply to: silo13
Unbelievable. The place is literally sitting on the seashore, and there's not even some cheap snow fences to keep thousands of bags of radioactive waste from being washed out to sea.

It's not contaminated..
They are collection bags to store debris gathered during decontamination.
It probably never was.
edit on 16-10-2019 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
" decontaminate

transitive verb
To eliminate contamination in.
transitive verb
To make safe by eliminating poisonous or otherwise harmful substances, such as noxious chemicals or radioactive material.
transitive verb
To remove contamination or contaminants from, by a cleansing process; -- usually used of radioactive, infectious, or toxic materials."

several bags that had decontaminated waste from the Fukushima nuclear disaster

edit on 10/16/2019 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
These people literally can't do anything right.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I bet the decontamination process was a typhoon washing it all away,

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   
As an aside, according to a researcher I spoke to from the Uni of Hawaii a couple years ago, they had already found radioactive isotopes from Fukushima all along the Western North, Central and South American coasts... and that's quite a long coastline.

Also, I've noticed thyroid issues arising in myself and acquaintances in the States these last few years... and some of them are young with no history in their families. It's certainly not a scientific sampling, but it does make this unqualified layman wonder.

I know most of the extra radiation is fairly low level, comparatively speaking... but any extra radiation is not good.

So... I guess avoid: Pacific seafood, food produced in Eastern Asia and the Americas... and rain?

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

You should buy a Geiger counter if you are worried about radiation.
Amazon has some good ones for under $200.

If you ever fly, take it with you...ha
Interesting results..

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Yeah, it could have been much worse, the six bags left could have also gone down river.

As serious as this subject and incident is, you comment really made me laugh! Thank you for that 😌

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: solve

I bet the decontamination process was a typhoon washing it all away,

When the facts don't fit a theory, replace the facts with fabrications pulled out of thin air?

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Just joking around, but i bet neither one of us would like to drink water, that has been run through one of em baggies,

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I don't get it. If the stuff was "decontaminated," why is it still sitting in plastic bags in a controlled area?

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I do not accept the clean-up Authority explanation... there was no Black Swan events that swept the radiated bags of decontamination away... the poisons were ~ by coincidence~ swept away because of slack procedures of safety IMHO

a deliberate act of being irresponsible, a tiny fine is all they expect to pay...instead of a detailed protocol of contamination abeyance that would have been expensive to accomplish properly.

the China Syndrome gone amok

from BING:

China syndrome
[China syndrome]

NOUN
a hypothetical sequence of events following the meltdown of a nuclear reactor, in which the core melts through its containment structure and deep into the earth.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio

I do not accept the clean-up Authority explanation... there was no Black Swan events that swept the radiated bags of decontamination away... the poisons were ~ by coincidence~ swept away because of slack procedures of safety IMHO

a deliberate act of being irresponsible, a tiny fine is all they expect to pay...instead of a detailed protocol of contamination abeyance that would have been expensive to accomplish properly.

the China Syndrome gone amok

from BING:

China syndrome
[China syndrome]

NOUN
a hypothetical sequence of events following the meltdown of a nuclear reactor, in which the core melts through its containment structure and deep into the earth.

Couldn't agree more. Just like there is no such thing as an "accidental discharge" when handling a weapon. It's called a "NEGLIGENT" discharge. Either you handle things safely, or you do not.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

The over exaggerated China syndrome....lol

Good movie, bad science

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 04:50 PM
link   
They probably wish all of them were swept

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

I don't see it boding well for any tunneling workforce, and machinery might not work down to the radiation.

Detonating nukes in already unstable areas probably not a good idea nether.

Truth is the technologies have not yet been invented that will allow us to deal with the Fukushima disaster.

edit on 16-10-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Thank's for the heads' up but it was always used as a simple abbreviation of Japanese, the slur version over here in the UK was never Japs but Nips which is probably an abbreviation of Nippon, I am not racist in any way just to clear that up and agree that if it can be taken the wrong way I shall in future use the full title Japanese.

But yes you are correct and this Gaijin did not mean any offense, too late to correct it though (actually Gaijin is a Japanese catch all phrase usually associated historically with both enemy's and outsiders).

Remember the abbreviation for British is Brit's and we do not find any offense in it?.

edit on 16-10-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I don't think it was the shortened word that was offensive, it was because it was used as a derogatory term.

Doesn't really make sense to me but I'm not Japanese..

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Not to worry I got called Gaijin by a Japanese guy in Tokyo and when I looked at him he looked away since since I heard his statement to his lady friend, Later I think he may have gotten a bit of justification since my two colleagues on that business trip got a bit drunk and sat there while I took the photograph's in a crowded restaurant squinting with chop stick's up there noses.
In our defense - and I know it was utterly shameless - we were totally bladdered.

And I also have to say we met some genuinely lovely people over there, just that one guy - and an old man probably a war veteran who spat on the floor at the sight of us - and to be fair he had a bit of a right since we were in HIS country and it is not as derogatory a term as it is first taken since the closest similar term as used in the US would be Alien or in the UK Foreigner but I thought at the time that it meant something a lot worse than it does.

Oh yes I did have a Japanese Engineer at there Shizoka plant make a slow motion Karate chop at the back of my neck while I had my head in a machine studying the part's and layout when he thought I could not see as a joke between him and two of his colleagues, I let him know I had seen him as well - they are so polite he just did not know where to look so perhaps I should have used a less stern look.

Like I say people are the same everywhere, we all poke fun at one another BUT we are all human.

edit on 16-10-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

i saw a piece about this plant lately that it is spewing out 560-580 ? rads per hour and the lifetime dose for a Astro not is 1 ,Those Germans sure did great with concrete back in the 40s with 15 foot reinforced concrete on the sub pens , time to give them the job , Them and the Japanese seem to have a way with things mechanical .

I was just mulling this over coffee with a friend today , we are devolving rapidly , 50 years ago a kid called Norman or Jack would have solved this with a slide rule in his garden shed with 0 funds

en.wikipedia.org...

And they used to call us Great Britain

best i got is freezing it

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Oh too true, but back then we Brits were the best - if not the fastest - mechanical engineers in the world, pride in your work used to be quite common as well.

Of course even the best engineer is only as good as his resources and the workers he has working for him.

Back then the kid's learned Classical Greek and Latin, could do there logarithmic tables in there head's and usually also had to learn to speak French or German - at least the middle class kid's and up did, even the state school's were far more rigorous than today and sadly we are breeding a generation destined to create an ideocracy.

These 30+ years of government have seen a consistent decline in educational standards and the loss of our industry so there is also no call for Engineer's, Skilled Workers and Technician's as there used to be especially when company's can get them on the cheap from other nation's.

And as for patriotism, well look at our country I see myself as British not English, Welsh or Scot but the country is literally tearing itself apart, without Scotland and wales England will become irrelevant on the world stage and so too will Scotland and Wales as they will be about as powerful as Latvia without England.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join