It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wondering, why no HTTPS on abovetopsecret.com

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: machineintelligence
I have been on this site for several years but never thought to ask why a site like ATS has no SSL certificate meaning no HTTPS? My browser automatically looks for a secure connection but nothing is found in the automatic search function.

So...here is a fun rabbit hole for you on this subject....enjoy!

Internet Map

EDIT: Should have kept reading. Someone already posted it.

Hilarious these two are next to each other.

edit on 9-10-2019 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   

a reply to: toysforadults

Your response to the OP was oblique at best. Here is the answer to your question from Symantec.
www.websecurity.symantec.com...

Shouldn't the people wanting SSL here already know what they are asking for?
edit on 10/9/2019 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   

I have been on this site for several years but never thought to ask why a site like ATS has no SSL certificate meaning no HTTPS? My browser automatically looks for a secure connection but nothing is found in the automatic search function.

Internet Map

That site is amazing!

Thanks for sharing the link.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I am becoming more than a little curious as to why no one from the ATS staff or ownership cabal has responded to anyone's queries regarding why this site doesn't provide an HTTPS connection.

What gives Mods and/or owners?

Why are you running a non-secure connection to your servers?

It is a very legitimate question from your user base - why duck the question?

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Internet Map

10$ says the whole thread gets binned now.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Internet Map

It has happened before because of that link....

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Internet Map

That would be cowardly...I hope it doesn't happen.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

I've seen it asked about twice before, and mods have replied. I can't remember what reason they gave, but maybe they're just tired of repeating themselves...

idk, if the search worked, maybe it'd be easy to find.

Holy buckets, as far back as 2005...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and sporadically till 2017

no real answer though, in 2019. idk, doesn't worry me much.

eta- SO refers to cost and ad revenue issues.

edit on 9-10-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   
From an older thread about this repeat topic....

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: 3ncrypt0Rdie
Im not sure why the site dose not use (https) but it would sure be nice to know that there is some form of encryption between me and your servers. Also almost every site on the web now uses it.

There's a couple reasons we've not adopted SSL/HTTPS.

We have a rather complicated CDN caching arrangement for our site images and member upload space. Upgrading the CDN to be SSL/HTTPS compliant (since everything on the page must be SSL/HTTPS) is a bit cost-prohitbitive right now.

Not all of our advertising providers are fully capable of SSL/HTTPS alternatives for some ads. Meaning that the number of ads available to us would be less. Even Google's AdSense, AdExchange, and Double Click for Publishers warns that HTTPS pages may have fewer ads available to it.

That being said, I have been looking into SSL/HTTPS for logged-in members, which is only about 15-20% of our average daily traffic. This might be something we roll out in 2016, but since this is all just me, I can't be definitive.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   
What you post may be public, but your password and username are transmitted to the server over http.
Which means... if you use your ATS password for other sites, change it now.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I see AboveTopSecret is experiencing Denial of Service (DOS) attacks again...after many months of being left alone. Big News unfavorable to "deep state" must be incoming soon.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: eManym

do you know how a VPN works? whats the end point your VPN is connected to?

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   
A man in the middle could read my data sent to ATS between the VPN endpoint and ATS. But if I don't include any identifiable information then I am good to go.

I really don't care who reads my posts. All one needs is an ATS sign in to read my posts.

Has anyone here ever reported a hijacked post or account? I haven't.

edit on 9-10-2019 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
From an older thread about this repeat topic....

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: 3ncrypt0Rdie
Im not sure why the site dose not use (https) but it would sure be nice to know that there is some form of encryption between me and your servers. Also almost every site on the web now uses it.

There's a couple reasons we've not adopted SSL/HTTPS.

We have a rather complicated CDN caching arrangement for our site images and member upload space. Upgrading the CDN to be SSL/HTTPS compliant (since everything on the page must be SSL/HTTPS) is a bit cost-prohitbitive right now.

Not all of our advertising providers are fully capable of SSL/HTTPS alternatives for some ads. Meaning that the number of ads available to us would be less. Even Google's AdSense, AdExchange, and Double Click for Publishers warns that HTTPS pages may have fewer ads available to it.

That being said, I have been looking into SSL/HTTPS for logged-in members, which is only about 15-20% of our average daily traffic. This might be something we roll out in 2016, but since this is all just me, I can't be definitive.

Thank you amigo.

As a private enterprise they're certainly allowed to run their business (operationally and otherwise) as they see fit.

I was just curious as it does leave them in the stone age somewhat and I could not think of a valid business or operational reason to not jump in the pool with the rest of the world.

But I understand better now - thanks again for tracking it down.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

I've seen it asked about twice before, and mods have replied. I can't remember what reason they gave, but maybe they're just tired of repeating themselves...

idk, if the search worked, maybe it'd be easy to find.

Holy buckets, as far back as 2005...

and sporadically till 2017

no real answer though, in 2019. idk, doesn't worry me much.

eta- SO refers to cost and ad revenue issues.

Thanks for the info Gallops.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
You are most welcome

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence
Are you really concerned for security on a conspiracy site. Besides there is not such thing as security on the internets, there may be some anonymity, but really, if the powers that be had to read about peoples life who they are and were they work and were they been.

It would put anybody to sleep in 30 minutes tops.

Lets just say that people think there anonymity is more important then it really is. Nobody cares, except those who want to sell you stuff. In which case, its not hard to do now is it. Sell you stuff that is.

And so if this thread is not 404d. That means its not important. After all only the unimportant ones are allowed to stay. At one time your daily scheduled programing was on the boob tube, you know the TV. Now its online. Ohhh...Conspiracy.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Oh wow! Yahoo still exists? Thats crazy.

Also who know that facebook would be so big, I only use it to post vids now and then, and even in that uploading anything to it takes so long that I dont bother half the time, the rest its just people posturing, that says something about people that facebook would be that big.

But check it out and planet YouTube and all the rest of them seem to be orbiting around planet Google. Its a small world after all, in fact its a very tiny universe. Probably why ATS is so loosy goosy, just easier to maintain stream as it orbits around the google central star and pick up hosts here and there.

To tell the truth I never knew google got so big either.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

It's about collecting meta data anyway

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Well they can collect away. Not like it matters. But people need to make something of it I suppose.

But consider this, just take any site, lets say facebook as its pretty huge it seems. And yet what are the chances that the data they get from it is real, when everybody on it, is just posturing, and what is real, is kind of obvious who would need to collect that data, unless there really completely blind to the obvious.

And what can one learn from mainstream sites, you know other they thy must be maintained by constantly spouting the same things over and over, and that people really like to pool in groups, preferably only two groups as if there were 3 groups, thats to much for people to take in and grasp, they just may give up and go home and have a beer.

We are after all, just not that far from tribal ancestors, not that long ago in fact, just a few hundred years.

All of which is and was obvious thousands of years ago.

So then. Most data anybody can gather is just junk data. Like I said would put anybody to sleep in 30 minutes tops.

As for ATS?

You know if you would have been here some 15 years ago, there was not a day that went by were somebody was not accused of being a dis-info agent or a shill, or a bot, or a sockpuppet for the government or insert your favorite group here[............ ]

And well how many of them were right?

And how many of them were just people stuck in there ways or sticking to there way of life, that just could not agree on anything? The red team vs the blue team. And what would be the difference between a bot or a group using sockpuppets to spam some random site, and just poeple stuck in there ways?

Not much I think.

If anything this pathetic attempt at censoring the net. Is like something a 5 year old would come up with so as to not trigger the masses from there chosen and favorite slumbering porches.

But then again, there sure is a lot of garbage out there on the net. But that's only just indicative of real life, as there sure is a lot of garbage in real life. And every group wants to be at the front page of the internet, because they think there the most important and well. There prime motivations seems to always be... Money.

Not that much different then wholly scripted mass medias that were so popular some years ago. But everything adapts right? Even the # shows from 10 years ago, have adapted somewhat to this internet era.

So ya! How much of that meta data that's collected is just junk data. Or is it all ultimately just junk data. So ya, brah, selling you stuff, among other things. Its basically an all out war for who gets to put there images before your eyes on a 24/7 bassis, as you chill, stuck in platos cave, starring at the shadows and images dancing on the wall a prisoner of your own minds.

Or as a videogame once said some 18 years ago on this topic. The S3 plan. Selection for societal sanity. After all far to many people out there for it to be any sort of anything besides chaos, if left to there own devices, what do you think people will do? Join there hands together and sing kumba ya? Most of them cant even agree on there favorite color or figurehead that's on the news.

Or maybe there is nobody driving this ship, and its a full stop no brakes ride, till it runs into something. And then the ride comes to a dead stop. Evolution is just trial and error after all. And there were at the least a few hundred thousands of trillions of fish dead, before the first one grew some appendages, and crawled unto land. Now that was progress.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join