It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wondering, why no HTTPS on abovetopsecret.com

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I have been on this site for several years but never thought to ask why a site like ATS has no SSL certificate meaning no HTTPS? My browser automatically looks for a secure connection but nothing is found in the automatic search function.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I've been wondering the same thing. A conspiracy site that doesn't have secure HTTP? Oh the humanity!

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Spaceweather.com has an https server for crying out loud...

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Find what SSL does to protect your data and why and you will know the answer

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence
I have been on this site for several years but never thought to ask why a site like ATS has no SSL certificate meaning no HTTPS? My browser automatically looks for a secure connection but nothing is found in the automatic search function.

All your posts on this site are public, if you needed to send some private data no one should see or get then HTTPS could be of help, but if all you post is going to be public anyway there is no point in using encryption

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Your response to the OP was oblique at best. Here is the answer to your question from Symantec.
www.websecurity.symantec.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:49 PM
link   

What are we, as ATS website users, trying to protect? IMO, if ATS owners aren't concerned about protecting their own website and other programs on the server, we can't expect them to care about our personal https concerns.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Malisa

There is more to it than that I'm afraid. For instance an SSL encrypted connection reduces the chance of your input data containing an sql injection by a man in the middle hack.

Reference: www.w3schools.com...

I can give more examples for very valid reasons for SSL being offered on nearly every site on the web. This includes my own which I pay for the cert and make no money at all to pay for it. I do this as a service to my tiny audience. ATS has a fairly sizable income stream generated by this and other sites they control so it is not unreasonable to assume they would provide this service just like the tiny operations everywhere that also offer it to their patrons of their respective sites.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   

There is more to it than that I'm afraid. For instance an SSL encrypted connection reduces the chance of your input data containing an sql injection by a man in the middle hack.

I can give more examples for very valid reasons for SSL being offered on nearly every site on the web. This includes my own which I pay for the cert and make no money at all to pay for it. I do this as a service to my tiny audience. ATS has a fairly sizable income stream generated by this and other sites they control so it is not unreasonable to assume they would provide this service just like the tiny operations everywhere that also offer it to their patrons of their respective sites.

Yeah should probably have mentioned that i remember reading some other post about this and someone said ATS was handling those cases in a different way, probably filtering it out at some point before writing the post to the db

I don't really know much else but i know that for example titles of threads are filtered until you go into the thread, and maybe that's part of whatever solution they have running on this site

Who knows, but i don't think that's going to change

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   

So...here is a fun rabbit hole for you on this subject....enjoy!

Internet Map

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Ha funny....I have wondered this too..
But I like it like this because it is among the few sites left that are http .

Why? Because it's my go to for
running various "test"$ on ..keeps my chops up.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

What are we, as ATS website users, trying to protect? IMO, if ATS owners aren't concerned about protecting their own website and other programs on the server, we can't expect them to care about our personal https concerns.

It's not that simple carewemust. SSL does more than just protect the data of the connection. It's not the best security, but it's a no-brainer to have it. I have to override settings in my browser just to connect to this site as I usually only visit sites with at least a modicum of security.

I'm also more than a little curious as to why it isn't the default and only way to connect here and having been meaning to ask the same question.

It's not expensive and it's not like it's cutting edge stuff...

Can anyone on the ATS staff help us understand?

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:18 PM
link   
"reduces"..yes

sTOPS..."N0"_

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I was unaware of the site you linked but upon review and a little research I have to say the connections you make are difficult to miss.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:29 PM
link   

I was unaware of the site you linked but upon review and a little research I have to say the connections you make are difficult to miss.

Interesting...so are you Polish?

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Nope just clicked on the buttons covering the ATS circle and it changed the language. I did not care to try and reload it for the English version to be refreshed.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   

You won't get an answer...it's the hierarchy.....the power over you. Don't become a member here.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:54 PM
link   

You won't get an answer...it's the hierarchy.....the power over you. Don't become a member here.

I'm not sure of the meaning of your post. I am something of a literalist. You would have to break down that statement a bit for me to grasp it.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I use NordVPN, so not worried about it.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 03:11 AM
link   

I'm not sure of the meaning of your post. I am something of a literalist. You would have to break down that statement a bit for me to grasp it.

He's saying the ATS website doesn't implement SSL so that the NSA can look into people's conversations and find their locations as well

Which is dumb because everything is public and if someone had something to hide they would not be speaking about it anywhere on the web

edit on 9-10-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join