It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use water-jets to cut asteroids or comets that may be potential impact threats...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
To assist in asteroid, comet impact prevention.

Build large water-jets cutter systems that produce water jets with high psi that can be fitted to space drone groups or crafts.
Space drone group or crafts approaches potential impact object surrounds or attaches to potential impact object P.I.O
Water-jets cut at engineered cut points to separate P.I.O into pieces.
Objects trajectory displaced.
No nuclear waste or other wastes from bombing P.I.O produced.

Secondary applications can be used for asteroid/comet cutting/mining.

For defense application used for surface to air ballistic disarming...

Will this idea work to prevent impacts from asteroids or comets

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I apologize for not having the chance to watch the video, but how and or where do we get, contain etc...the rquired quantity of water for said jets?

Apophos is awfully big

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

In addition to the source of water, I wonder what becomes of the chunks of asteroid.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

A couple of drawbacks would be keep the water in a liquid state in space and water jets have a limited depth of cut.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Would the craft firing the jet also have to counter act the force of the water jets, so additional fuel would be required to constantly burn to keep the craft stable, and as mentioned by BlueJacket you gonna need a lot of water, the craft in question would be massive, I think

disclaimer I have little to zero expertise and will correct any of my musings if totally wrong, apologies in advance

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Would the water jet still work in a low/zero gravity area like space?

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Isn't a bit of a problem that water freezes in sub zero temperatures, and space is quite a bit below zero C?

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Wait until they hit Earth where water is plentiful and unfrozen, then cut them up into tiny pieces.

Oh, wait......

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket
Build fluid/water tank the size of 2 refrigerators filled with liquid abrasive material that won't freeze.
Place inside x-37 type Craft or attach to drones.

Pull drone group or crafts near P.I.O and cut at engineer approved points. The cut points should send pieces of object into projected paths away from planet.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Wouldn't that create thrust that would quickly move the drone away?

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: KiwiNite
Wouldn't that create thrust that would quickly move the drone away?

Yes. Unless a counter thrust system is added to the drones/crafts or a magnetic array system that locks all the craft or drones magnetically together. This allows for adjusting of the psi flow of antfi freezing fluid jets without propelling the crafts/drones into space.
Good question

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Abrasive material-
Diamond dust.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Take some Physics classes.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Why do you recommend?

a reply to: JIMC5499

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Or ya know...how to keep it from just instantly freezing in the vacuum of space. Even if it didn't freeze and clog the nozzle it would surely freeze as it leaves the nozzle.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD
I was trying to limit payload but you could simply add a water heating device to heat the water and the nozzles.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Inject the nozzles into object.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   

The cut points should send pieces of object into projected paths away from planet.
Not without something to push them. So, if you're going to push each piece, why bother with little pieces? Just push the whole thing. It takes the same amount of energy, the same amount of fuel, to change orbit of the mass of the object no matter how many pieces there are. Remember all that nonsense we hear every time a comet breaks up. The pieces follow the original orbit, they don't go flying off wildly.

The idea of busting up an asteroid by any means is quite obsolete, precisely for that reason (forget the movies). All you do is get a bunch of smaller asteroids that are still aimed at Earth. Oh, polluting interplanetary space with radiation is not really a concern. It's already got an awful lot of it. The Sun does a pretty good job of seeing to that, as do other stars.

You might want to calculate how much water it would take to cut up an asteroid, if you really think it's a good idea.

edit on 10/1/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Water would be too heavy to haul. Just not practical. Then you would have to hold the spacecraft in place with more fuel. Not practical.

Now a reflector might work better. Use a large reflective dish (thin light and foldable) to focus sunlight on a small spot for a long time. The out gassing of vaporized material over a long period of time would act like a small thruster. Moving it ever so slightly. Given a long enough period, you should be able to nudge it just enough to miss earth completely.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

To assist in asteroid, comet impact prevention.

Build large water-jets cutter systems that produce water jets with high psi that can be fitted to space drone groups or crafts.
Space drone group or crafts approaches potential impact object surrounds or attaches to potential impact object P.I.O
Water-jets cut at engineered cut points to separate P.I.O into pieces.
Objects trajectory displaced.
No nuclear waste or other wastes from bombing P.I.O produced.

Secondary applications can be used for asteroid/comet cutting/mining.

For defense application used for surface to air ballistic disarming...

Will this idea work to prevent impacts from asteroids or comets

Ummm...I think the best way would be with lasers...wide beam to cause ablation and off gassing to act as jets...thus having the asteroid/comet ejecta alter the course of the body...

Use a solar sail as a collector/focusing array to direct the suns energy for this lazing effect...reflective Mylar and carbon fiber should work quite nicely...

As for mining...Musk boring machines and laser drills...have the processing be comet or asteroid side and ingots boosted down the gravity well with bare bones guidance and control...propulsion units aft...and fore for parking orbits at Lagrange points...

YouSir

top topics

<<   2 >>

join