It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GoogleNASA on verge of Quantum Supremacy - Paper posted and then pulled

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

A source at Google familiar with the situation suggested, however, that NASA accidentally published the paper early, before its team's claims could be thoroughly vetted through scientific peer review, a process that could take anywhere from weeks to months.

If the paper holds up under the scrutiny of the scientific community, it will herald a watershed moment in quantum science. Its central claim counters doubt that some unforeseen law of nature may prevent quantum computers from operating as hoped.

Google Claims ‘Quantum Supremacy,’ Marking a Major Milestone in Computing

If the paper holds up this will be a huge advancement and a bit scary. AI combined with quantum computing will either be the end of us or a new beginning.

The fact that Google will be one of the first to have this tech worries me. NASA being involved doesn't reassure me that the use of the tech will be transparent.

edit on 21-9-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

The researchers estimate that performing the same experiment on a Google Cloud server would take 50 trillion hours—too long to be feasible. On the quantum processor, it took only 30 seconds, they said.

Very interesting.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

That's cool but can it run Crysis ?

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

"While our processor takes about 200 seconds to sample one instance of the quantum circuit 1 million times, a state-of-the-art supercomputer would require approximately 10,000 years to perform the equivalent task," the researchers said.

The researchers estimate that performing the same experiment on a Google Cloud server would take 50 trillion hours—too long to be feasible. On the quantum processor, it took only 30 seconds, they said.

D-Wave= Demon

Quantum Maxwell's demon 'teleports' entropy out of a qubit by Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology

phys.org...

The first time I saw anyone explain the quantum computer he said the information goes to we don't know where and the answers come back.

Seriously reminds me of the creatures John Dee spoke with for years and they finally told him, he did not have the means to do what they needed and they would wait for one who does.

Wow, so they send off the questions to the dark side and some demons compute the answer and get it right back to yah!
edit on 21-9-2019 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Quantum mechanics is the only physical theory that has a special place for the observer, and it is the only physical theory that calls into question our definition of physical reality. Indeed, one interpretation stipulates that whenever a quantum measurement is performed, the universe divides into several universes, each experiencing its own measurement result.

The exponential scaling of quantum information is related to one of the weirdest aspects of quantum theory, entanglement (see Figure 7–1–1). This feature is so strange that in 1935, when quantum mechanics was in its infancy, Einstein and two colleagues wrote a paper pointing out just how strange it is. They argued that nothing so strange could be true and instead there must be something wrong with quantum theory. In fact, this was a rare instance where Einstein was wrong—nature is indeed that weird, and we hope to use that weirdness to make useful quantum computers

www.nap.edu...

12/21 "TSUNAMI OF DEMONS W/ ANTHONY PATCH" Geordie Rose said that his D-Wave quantum computers are able to summon a “Tsunami of Demons" or aliens that are the equivalent of the “Old Ones” spoken of by horror author H.P. Lovecraft. Additionally, the creator of D-Wave computers says that standing next to one is like standing at the altar of an alien God. These tools are pushing us ever so rapidly into creating, building, and what some tech leaders call “summoning” a race of super-intelligent AI. On tonight's show, Clyde Lewis talks with CERN researcher and author, Anthony Patch about TSUNAMI OF DEMONS.

paranormalforum.net...

edit on 21-9-2019 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The thing is called Sycamore and in terminator the company was Syberdein. They should not have used the first two letters in their name when disaster happened in Terminator.

But Very cool!

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
it'll all end in tears.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz5
it'll all end in tears.

Icy tears.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I always find bleeding edge tech interesting, as mankind builds upon the tech.

I have to wonder though, what are the short term applications of something like this?

Simulations?
Military?
AI?

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   
interesting how this will impact quantum theory, a bit over my head but interesting none the less.

seems like it would make quantum computing much more practical as well.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

A source at Google familiar with the situation suggested, however, that NASA accidentally published the paper early, before its team's claims could be thoroughly vetted through scientific peer review, a process that could take anywhere from weeks to months.

If the paper holds up under the scrutiny of the scientific community, it will herald a watershed moment in quantum science. Its central claim counters doubt that some unforeseen law of nature may prevent quantum computers from operating as hoped.

Google Claims ‘Quantum Supremacy,’ Marking a Major Milestone in Computing

If the paper holds up this will be a huge advancement and a bit scary. AI combined with quantum computing will either be the end of us or a new beginning.

The fact that Google will be one of the first to have this tech worries me. NASA being involved doesn't reassure me that the use of the tech will be transparent.

Thanks for the headup 👍🏻

Google = Skynet

It was nice knowing you all x

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Quantum computers will have their place but at the moment for the day to day stuff they're useless, they get good when into the massive data sets which companies like DoD and NASA etc use for weather prediction or nuclear decay patterns for nuke storage where you run the same equation with slightly different inputs and then try and work out which looks the most likely.

If you think about an encryption method which has a massive key you can basically brute force the key and decrypt the message instantly but given you could have trillions upon trillions of results that need to be checked as a good encryption method won't throw a wobbly with a dud key but could allow for possible statistical analysis of the data to perhaps help narrow it down.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Sound's like a security leak that they have then tried to plug after the fact, of course too late the competitor's on the world stage (both national and corporate) now know it is possible and so will suddenly be just about six months behind or so taking away any tactical (including stock management for the stock market etc) advantage this may have imparted very quickly.

Some time's the very smart are not very smart, for a leak like this to occur in such a major break through in a corporation would lead to resignation's, firing's and shareholder anger.

Maxatoria, perhaps or perhaps since Moor's law seems to have almost ground to a halt this could be the next leap forward but of course once we enter the quantum realm speed becomes irrelevant and so moors law will then no longer apply.

It is kind of sad how we went from more than doubling our computing potential ever year or so too such a slow down in consumer computing power, yes the main frames and super computers of the world have continued more or less apace but for we the humble consumer the day's of having access to a comparable leap in technology every year that we once did are over or seem to be.

edit on 21-9-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2

I have to wonder though, what are the short term applications of something like this?

Simulations?
Military?
AI?

Simulations.... how about real time execution of raytraced graphics indistinguishable from real life?

Couple that with the elon musk quote......
edit on 21/9/19 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: flice

Graphical calculations long since moved off the CPU in the mainstream computing format to dedicated graphic's processors such as the Nvidia model you mention and similar, it is a shame that the CPU model has not kept pace but even the dedicated graphics processors (often many magnitudes more powerful than the actual CPU) are also slowing down in there rate of advancement, of course they are also more at the mercy of the consumer market place and a downturn economics necessarily also creates a downturn in the rate of technological development as boards try to cut back were they think R&D is too costly for the gain's they want to make from the product.

At the moment though the bit coin rush - which may be cooling now - was a short term stimulus to many of these company's such as Nvidia etc.

My computer is not exactly a dream, it is an old Compaq Presario I gutted because the case was too small and put into a cheap replacement case in order to make room for better graphics, it is aging and I don't have an SSD (memory especially the HD as you know is the main bottleneck in home computing these day's) but it does pretty much everything I need it too but being a former enthusiast I would dearly love a top of the end rig - but the price and it is literally for yesterday's tech since they are holding back on were our computing should have gone, yes legacy 8086 is still a bottleneck but not really that much, we should for example have had the industry agree on some new formats but given the paranoid nature of these corporation's whom are sitting on the tech we really should be using today and there fear of a repeat of the old MSX debacle if they do attempt to share they also run foul of a potential Betamax - VHS style war if they go it alone.

The daftest part is that most of these big tech company's are owned by the same share holders behind the scenes.

Another thing that stymie's the rate of consumer electronics' development is competition, more competition is always good for the technology and the consumer but less competition which is the motto of corporate economics is disastrous for us since the need to release new model's very often to keep a share of the market diminishes and then it becomes the old washing machine built in obsolescence model to keep us paying into there bank account's.

edit on 21-9-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

That's cool but can it run Crysis ?

Keep up with the times, it's now 'can it run Star citizen?'

edit on 21-9-2019 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

You mean like the start of the current PC?

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

While computing speeds seem to be hitting upper limits due to various design limits theres also the fact that they've reached the good enough point to do the job fast enough especially in the dull corporate sector where in areas like bill production 99% of the time to do a run is the printing and that last 1% is generally the computer system waiting for the human to be happy to fire off the run.

Some tasks are linear and thus can't really be done using Q-computers to any great effect and at the moment the bottlenecks will be pre and post calculation processing to filter the results down to manageable numbers which will probably require the maths experts to work out new ways of solving problems.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: flice

originally posted by: Mach2

Simulations?
Military?
AI?

Simulations.... how about real time execution of raytraced graphics indistinguishable from real life?

Couple that with the elon musk quote......

Couple that with a human neural net interface, and I think you may be onto something.

Sounds extremely dangerous and incredibly counterproductive to me.

Where's the satisfaction without the effort?

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

If you mean the state of the PC then its true we're hitting really the end of the road for higher numbers in raw speed so we're now looking to move into more concurrent processing of work loads where possible, theres plenty of ways to get more done but bullets will need to be bitten but while we generally think more of our home pc's and running games/watching a few movies etc generally you hit the usual problem of you've got to feed the cpu and clean up its poop aka give it work to do and then do stuff with whats handed back which is requiring smaller cpu sizes and also closer integration of the MB components to reduce trace line length and thus speed up the IO.

Even in the bigger end of the market speed itself isn't that important after a certain point as theres not much use having systems that are data starved so generally you'd be wanting to run at around 70-80% utilization and just chuck in more units to soak up extra demand as its cheaper than messing with exotic cooling.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join