It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does America have so many serial killers?!?!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Maby you should be asking why america is so good at catching them instead of simply assuming other places have more

www.aetv.com...

If you look at south american serial killers you can see what happens when you have almost no communication between law enforcement

www.rollingstone.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Brazil,Columbia,India,China,Russian an Pakistan have their fair share of serial killers. Many of them killing a whole lot more people then their American counter parts.

Two different killers in South America have 300+ victims each.

Canada has had some pretty serious serial killers too Gary Ridgeway and Robert Pickton both worse then Bundy.
en.m.wikipedia.org...

It’s a global phenomenon that effects people of every colour and country.
a reply to: JustJohnny

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Yeah it's amazing that 50 percent of them are white in a nation that is 70 percent white lol.

Of course considering that crime doesn't typically follow demographics I can see why people would be surprised that serial killers more closely do.

Jaden

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Might be as simple as the US being more successful at catching them.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Pretty sure they aint no aborigines in America. Least not in the context i was talking about.

You might rethink that.

a member of the original people to inhabit an area especially as contrasted with an invading or colonizing people

Source
edit on 21-9-2019 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Dont be so padantic. Native Americans are generally referred to as Indians whereas Aboriginal people are generally associated with Australia. Jesus Christ...

a reply to: Skid Mark

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Because genetically Americans tend to descend from people who thrived on taking risks. Sometimes that manifests in destructive behavior. Folks in the UK tend to descend from people too scared to get on a boat and make a new life, so aren't as likely to do risky behavior.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 03:33 PM
link   
You could also say America is better at identifying them as such before they become a Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Mao, Pinochet, etc...

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

What country was not founded by right of conquest??

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

I’m not sure if I would trade more serial killers for less risk takers lol..

That kinda risk is pretty stupid. Just the fact you will almost certainly be locked in a concrete box forever makes it less than ideal. Hehe

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

You should probably look up the definition of serial killer .. lol

And that is ignoring all the mass genocide that some of the founding fathers and those who followed them committed against the native Americans, and then there was slavery until 150 years ago.

So does the holocaust really trump the NA genocides and slavery???

Do they out do anyone else on your list?!?!

Idk..

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   

well were the 3rd most populated country so that may skew the data, we have rural areas and long stretches of highway that let some people disapear more easily then some other western nations and we have huge national parks where some people can disapear far more easily then say some one chilling in Paris or Belgium . dont forget russia has a good deal,canada has that highway of death. no idea on Chinese ones as the government tends to want to keep those quiet, think japan had a pretty famous cannibal

www.theguardian.com... but hey good news they seem to be a dying breed least according to this link

The best database of serial killers was developed by Mike Aamodt, emeritus professor at Radford University in Virginia. He agrees there has been a clear downward trend, but urges caution. “There’s no question that there has been in a decline since the 80s in the number of identified serial killers,” he said. “I’m careful to say there has been a decline in the number of serial killers we can identify – there could be thousands of serial killers that we don’t know about and for some reason we’re not identifying today as well as we did in the 70s, 80s and 90s. All we know for sure is there has been a decline in the number identified.”
the 1980s and 90s seemed to be the general peak of violence in modern American history

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   

It's not a trade you get to make because it has been hundreds of years in the making.

I never said it was smart risk to be a serial killer. Many would say the risk of getting on a boat and moving across the world was pretty stupid and for many it certainly was, but the ones who survived passed on their genes and are part of what makes America.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

Some crimes tend to follow some social groups..

Women NEVER commit child molestation of a young child , except for a very couple cases of a previously diagnosed sever mental illness. They do the “fall in love with a 13 year old” teacher stuff fairly often, but apparently NEVER molest infants or kids younger than say 11-12.

Hell even the 2 black serial killers who come to mind are questionable..

Wayne Williams there is major questions about if he wasn’t set up, and the Malvo sniper case was a very elaborate attempt to hide killing his wife.

Then you have the economic stuff... a serial killer needs resources not to get caught.. a lot of the worst we’re semi-wealthy..

You don’t see many rich white kids doing drive bys..

You don’t see many poor minorities that are serial killers.. at least not prolific ones..

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Fair point.... maybe..

Not sure there is a crazy difference between the other western countries, but absolutely possible...

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

I did the math on some countries and that didn’t matter..

England the number 2 country went from 119 to 600ish, but didn’t touch the US 2,320.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   

what factors exactly didnt matter? the fact with more space and out of the way areas its perhaps easier to hide bodies? the fact that statistically more people generally mean more crime?

www.thedailybeast.com...

Reports in the Chinese media tell of a massive search underway for the suspect, believed to be a man named Zeng Kaigui, 42, a former Army police officer who is using skills he learned in the military to kill and outsmart law enforcement. As China gears up for the annual Chinese New Year holiday, when hundreds of millions of people make the long journey to their hometowns across the country, law enforcement in Nanjing is patrolling train and bus stations and putting up roadblocks in an attempt to catch the killer. The city’s two subway lines are currently covered in 700 wanted posters, according to an article in the Global Times newspaper, and the police are offering a reward of $158,000 for his capture. Over the past eight years, police say, Zeng has killed six other people and stolen a total of $44,000 in a reign of terror across China. Just how he remains loose in the world’s largest police state remains a mystery, given the Chinese authorities’ massive surveillance system and public-safety budget, reported to be more than $77 billion in 2010. Police sent a photo of the suspect with a warning to Nanjing residents’ cellphones as well as to bus drivers and train conductors, while authorities are now demanding that male long-distance bus passengers show identification.
china tends to keep things quiet on this from but are giving more attention as the problem gets bigger

www.scmp.com...

Peng Miaoji Between February 1998 and March 1999, a gang led by Peng Miaoji killed 76 people and committed 38 burglaries in eastern Anhui and three other provinces. Peng was notorious for his cruelty – he would cut victims’ throats and private parts, rape them and burn their corpses to destroy evidence.
you had probally never heard of this guy before i know i had not

Yang Xinhai Yang Xinhai, a serial killer from central Henan province, killed 67 people and raped 23 women between 2000 and 2003. He had earlier been sent to labour camp for theft and later jailed for rape, but a break-up with a girlfriend after he was released reportedly triggered another round of violence.
from same link, not exactly the BTK killer but chinese media gives far less attention to their serial killers then we do which i guess could be a factor

there are another 5 at that link averaging double digit kills seems most of them happened in rural china

allthatsinteresting.com... (warning its in gallery form and not on one page but has 33 on the link)

Gilles de Rais Gilles de Rais was considered a hero for his service in the French military alongside Joan Of Arc — until the world found out that he had murdered more than 100 children. Rais is believed to have kidnapped, sexually assaulted, and mutilated young peasant boys in his attempt to summon demons. He was hanged for his crimes on October 26, 1440.
i belive he would have a higher death toll then most of Americas prolific serial killers and he seemed to kill people no one would notice or care about in his time period of ye old 1440's

Pedro López The "Monster of the Andes," Pedro López was convicted of killing 110 girls, but some criminologists believe he may have killed as many as 300. López traveled between Columbia, Peru, and Ecuador throughout the 1970s, picking up and murdering his victims. López claims that, at his peak, he was killing up to three people a week. But the most disturbing part of this story is the aftermath. In 1998, López was released from his psychiatric unit for "good behavior." His whereabouts are currently unknown
oh and hey this guy is back in the wild so there is that

and just as an observation alot of other people that could have been classed as "serial killers" in other nations often did so under organized crime/terror which while different from serial killers made them no less prolific in the killing of innocents see pablo "i shoot down airliners and burn down my countries supreme court" escobar, Pinochet,duarte etc

en.wikipedia.org... seems kind of varied on this list as far as countries go but hey its wikipedia and only covers post 1900

en.wikipedia.org... looking at this list its even more varied and USA is the minority (unless you add the british colonies before independence) some go back to BC times

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

When you do the serial killers and adjust for population, it still doesn’t close the gap..

I did not do them all of course just the top 4, but none of those came close to closing the gap.

B) why would you think you putting up 5 examples of Chinese serial killers is relevant when we are talking about the national totals???

Unless your listing out 2,320 separate Chinese serial killers then how is that at all relevant?!? Lol

Plus China has a far bigger population, so really you would need more than the US’s 2,320 for the per capita to be relevant...

I am seriously stumped at why a few specific cases would be relevant to the OP..

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
Why is Jack the ripper the most notorious and English?
en.wikipedia.org...

Then population densities and other things come up. But I'll leave it at At Jack.

It is suspected that Jack the Ripper was actually an American doctor though. There is quite a bit of evidence leaning in that direction as well.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
You are forgetting that Georgia was also a penal colony at one time.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join