It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Antidemocratic Liberal democrats Seek to Scrap Brexit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   
They really should change their name back to plain old Liberals or risk sanction under the trade descriptions act because Democratic they are not.

Out of the 650 MPs in Parliament just 17 are Liberal democrats , and 3 of those are defectors from other parties , now this tiny insignificant party of undemocratic upstarts are to ask their deluded membership to vote for a policy to scrap Brexit by revoking Article 50.

She told the BBC: "The Liberal Democrats are crystal clear. We want to stop Brexit... If a Liberal Democrat majority government is elected, then we should revoke Article 50 and I think it's about being straightforward and honest with the British public about that."

The woman is delusional , a Lib-Dem Majority government .....
, I laughed so hard I nearly wet myself.

Speaking earlier on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Lib Dem deputy leader Ed Davey said a referendum would have been the best way to solve the problem. "We want a referendum now, but it does look like other parties won't give us that," he said. "People want an end to this, and the only way you can stop Brexit in a democratic exercise like a general election is to say you would revoke."
www.bbc.co.uk...

Davey says they want a referendum but when offered one last week they voted against it !
Lying bunch of undemocratic bastards that they are , a pox on them and all who side with them.

I really am sick of this , every story I read concerning Brexit just raises my blood pressure higher.
This revolution WILL be televised !
edit on 14-9-2019 by gortex because: Angry man forgot link

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
They're hoping to take away all the Remain voters from Labour, which is as divided as the Conservatives on the issue, and can't even agree on tactics. There was a bit of a Twitter campaign this week about "Sack Tom Watson!", because he was advocating a second referendum before a General Election, and half his party want it the other way round. The LibDems assume that controlling the Remain vote would give them a majority of the country.

But the Liberal Democrats have been over-optimistic before. You may recall David Steele's famous "Go back to your constituencies and prepare for government!"

edit on 14-9-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Didnt you get the memo? Brexiters are thick, uncultured, racist, white men! Did i miss an ajective there?
😅😂🤣

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24
You forgot "old". One of the lines being pushed now is that a good chuck of the original Leave vote has died since the Referendum.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   
P.S. What they are forgetting, of course, is that "cancel Brexit" is a usable election slogan only if the election takes place before Brexit is concluded. Now that it's legally impossible to arrange one before November, that looks rather unlikely.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   
These MPs though are only representing their constituents and the members of their party.

Thats how politics works, we are a parliamentary democracy and this is the problem with using direct democracy to decide an issue like Brexit. They're only doing what they were voted for during the last general election, they are only doing what they have said they would do for their members.

You might personally disagree with them so you don't vote for them, vote for your local Conservative or Brexit Party candidate.

But to call them "undemocratic" is unfair, they are only representing those who voted them into their respective parliamentary seats and support the party through membership.

They're giving a option to voter's that all, if you want to revoke article 50 vote Lib-Dem.

I think on the issue of Brexit quite a lot of people need to calm down and take the "B" word out of a lot of this and look at what is actually happening not just in parliament but to our country right now.
edit on 14-9-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
P.S. What they are forgetting, of course, is that "cancel Brexit" is a usable election slogan only if the election takes place before Brexit is concluded. Now that it's legally impossible to arrange one before November, that looks rather unlikely.

Assuming there isn't an extension.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
They really should change their name back to plain old Liberals or risk sanction under the trade descriptions act because Democratic they are not.

Out of the 650 MPs in Parliament just 17 are Liberal democrats , and 3 of those are defectors from other parties , now this tiny insignificant party of undemocratic upstarts are to ask their deluded membership to vote for a policy to scrap Brexit by revoking Article 50.

She told the BBC: "The Liberal Democrats are crystal clear. We want to stop Brexit... If a Liberal Democrat majority government is elected, then we should revoke Article 50 and I think it's about being straightforward and honest with the British public about that."

The woman is delusional , a Lib-Dem Majority government .....
, I laughed so hard I nearly wet myself.

Speaking earlier on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Lib Dem deputy leader Ed Davey said a referendum would have been the best way to solve the problem. "We want a referendum now, but it does look like other parties won't give us that," he said. "People want an end to this, and the only way you can stop Brexit in a democratic exercise like a general election is to say you would revoke."
www.bbc.co.uk...

Davey says they want a referendum but when offered one last week they voted against it !
Lying bunch of undemocratic bastards that they are , a pox on them and all who side with them.

I really am sick of this , every story I read concerning Brexit just raises my blood pressure higher.
This revolution WILL be televised !

Party asking it's membership about a policy for next election is undemocratic?

When was there a vote on another referendum?

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Admitted, which s why I wrote "unlikely" rtaher than "impossible".

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

The Liberals are a nothingless floating in a sea of political BS swirling around Westminster at the moment but it's the gall of Jo Swinson to name her "Shadow Cabinet" a couple of weeks ago and to now suggest they could win a majority shows to me that nutty Liberals are not just a problem over the pond , it's here too.

Only Her Majesty's official opposition (the Labour Party) have the right to a shadow cabinet not parties with just a handful of Members of Parliament , I long for a General Election so we can lance this boil once and for all but those who wish to remain don't have the balls to go for it , preferring instead to talk about how they want one and what they would do when they win it.

To promise to revoke Article 50 because we gave the "wrong" answer to a question asked is undemocratic , it is ignoring the voice of the people and they will pay the price.

This country is a disgrace , the political turmoil of the last couple of years has peeled back the thin veneer of respectability to show the rot that lies beneath , our political system has been broken for a long time but now we have clear evidence of that.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Admitted, which s why I wrote "unlikely" rtaher than "impossible".

Fair enough but not sure it is that unlikely.

Unless Johnson can pull of a miracle and get an acceptable deal or EU flat out refuses a further extension then the current position is it will be extended.

50/50 I would say.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot
I think the odds are in favour of the EU running out of patience and refusing an extension, so obliging Boris to ask for one would be an empty gesture anyway.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Pledging to revoke Article 50 without another referendum is undemocratic but then the actions of the remain element in Parliament has also been undemocratic by taking power away from the PM and hampering Brexit negotiations , but it seems that's their MO.

No Brexit is the only real Brexit.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I think the odds are in favour of the EU running out of patience and refusing an extension, so obliging Boris to ask for one would be an empty gesture anyway.

Got to disagree with you there , the EU don't want / can't afford for us to leave so whatever it takes to keep us from actually leaving is in their interest , the longer it goes on the more likely we are to agree a deal not dissimilar to May's deal to end the impasse.
I think it likely Article 50 will be extended to next January , the courts and further action brought by remainers will see to that.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Pledging to revoke Article 50 without another referendum is undemocratic but then the actions of the remain element in Parliament has also been undemocratic by taking power away from the PM and hampering Brexit negotiations , but it seems that's their MO.

I struggle to even get get my head round the doublethink that makes people think that not giving the PM absolute authority on the negotiations is somehow undemocratic.

edit on 14-9-2019 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I struggle to even get get my head round the doublethink that makes people think that not giving the PM absolute authority on the negotiations is somehow undemocratic.

Then you obviously don't see the problem , or chose to ignore it.

It isn't about giving the PM absolute authority it's about undermining the negotiations for us to leave , they are weakening the hand of the government so they get their way , No Brexit , that to me is damn near treasonous.

Revoking article 50 without the say of the people is undemocratic as it's going against the stated will of the people.

PUBLISHED: Wed, Sep 11, 2019
A majority of 54 percent agreed that Brexit should be respected, while just 25 percent disagreed.

Around 21 percent couldn’t make up their minds.

The real surprise, however, came with previous Remainers now wanting Brexit to be delivered.

Nearly half of those who completed the survey stated that Brexit shouldn’t be postponed until January 31, while 29 percent were certain that the exit date should be stretched.

The poll also took the fresh reports into consideration, asking participants about their thoughts of the EU offering no concessions to the UK in an exit deal.

Some 43 percent agreed that if the UE made no concessions, the UK UK should leave without a deal on October 31, compared with a 32 percent who disagreed.
www.express.co.uk...

edit on 14-9-2019 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
The EU bureaucracy may want to keep us at all costs, as you say.
But perhaps the leadership of the EU countries, if Macron is any guide, have had enough.
So which group can overrule the other?

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Like all politicians I'd take whatever he says with a pinch of salt.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

And I struggle to think how having a democratic vote on rather or not to remain in the eu,

and having politicians refuse to carry out the will of the Democratic vote

Isn’t in fact undemocratic

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Legally there now has to be an extension, the only question is will the EU grant it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do but basically say, this is it, last chance, we will give you a extension to x date but after that we either come to a deal, you lot make a significant change (ie. new government, referendum or whatever) or you're out.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join