It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barbecue planned at home of vegan who took neighbours to court over meat stench

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Your speculation seems to have no bounds.

Maybe the barbecue bastards have enlisted aliens to help them in tormenting their poor neighbor with smells?

Seriously... if MY neighbor TOOK ME TO COURT because of the smell of my barbecue, I'd call some cousins in the south to come up and start a pig farm up on my property.

Ever been downwind of that? And perfectly legal for me.

Then I would probably play "Do you really want to hurt me" at 80 decibels on the property line, looped... forever.

I had thought that some people protesting her was fitting.

So is a peaceful protest bad to you as well?

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Your speculation seems to have no bounds.

Maybe the barbecue bastards have enlisted aliens to help them in tormenting their poor neighbor with smells?

Seriously... if MY neighbor TOOK ME TO COURT because of the smell of my barbecue, I'd call some cousins in the south to come up and start a pig farm up on my property.

Ever been downwind of that? And perfectly legal for me.

Then I would probably play "Do you really want to hurt me" at 80 decibels on the property line, looped... forever.

I had thought that some people protesting her was fitting.

So is a peaceful protest bad to you as well?

My speculation is quite simple; I just president an equally plausible set of events that fit the very little information we know on the subject. I'm not even claiming my alternat set of events are the correct ones, just that they are plausible.

You on the other hand, suffering from the same lack of information as I am, are rigidly absolute in knowing exactly what happened in two back yards you have never been too.

To your second point; if some random person took you to court over something you thought was frivolous would you really go so far out of your way (pig farms and constant music that you would have to listen to and smell too) just to teach that person some cosmic lesson? That seems like way to much work coupled with a lot of vindictiveness. There are a lot of bad people in this world, who sometimes take other people to court frivolously, you don't teach them a lesson by stooping to their level. If you stoop to their level what you teach them is that they were right in the first place because your a jerk too just like them; dog eat dog.

Finaly 2000 people on a city street protesting city hall can be a "peaceful protest"

2000 people showing up on some individual citizens lawn to protest Vegans is not peaceful. Its a mob meant to intimidate a single person. They even invite their angry mob to help put "pork on her fork", which can be taken many different ways. But even if the organizers didn't mean much by it, they still want their mob to interact with the woman in someway or another and that does not sound safe at all.

If these people felt strongly about peacefully protesting vegans they could hold their BBQ in some park way across town. That they want to have it in her front law; tells me that my speculation as to how these people found themselves in court isn't far off.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I'm kind of torn on the issue really. I agree with you in that:

a.) There isn't really enough information about the actual events leading up to this.

b.) It's a sad day when the MSM and social media feels the need to drive yet another wedge in society by bringing the matter to the world's attention.

c.) It's kind of childish to force the issue in this way. And...

I've lived in SE Asia and seen firsthand that some people's definition of 'BBQ' is not always what the rest of the world thinks "BBQ" is. (i.e. drying fish comes readily to mind. Not fish 'filets', but whole fish, guts and all)

However, on the other side of the coin:

a.) This lady did make the conscious decision to create a legal case (not just once, but repeatedly) out of someone just living their life, on their own property. And, she should have expected there may be repercussions.

b.) Plus, she has stated that she intends to continue her (legal) fight until she gets her way.

c.) So, it's her way...or the highway. No middle ground apparently.

So perhaps the old saying...'desperate times call for desperate measures...is warranted.

At the end of the day, here's what I "smell" coming...

I 'smell' and ordinance being handed down limiting the days and or hours people can "BBQ" if this BBQ-a-thon goes off as planned.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
You know you severely failed at life and neglected every dream you had, if your hell bent on moaning about something as trivial as this.

The woman sounds as if she has some compounding mental health issues.

We BBQ often... like every second day.
And I don’t use propane.
I go hard with charcoal and mesquite wood chips.
There are days when I hear the neighbors shutting their windows because of the plume of smoke emitted from my BBQ.
I don’t do it intentionally of course, I can’t control the wind. But I will never use propane.
Nothing compares in taste to a charcoal bbq.
edit on 5-9-2019 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I find this very interesting because I too found the smell of cooking meat offensive when I became vegan many moons ago. Also my elderly mother recently went 'off' meat recently and also found the smell of bbq'd meat to be extremely offensive. Perhaps it is because when bbq'ing meat it supposedly forms carcinogenic 'polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons' which are dispersed in the air and back onto the meat.

There are two types of chemical reactions that occur when you barbecue meat. First, fat drippings from meat create smoke that contains chemicals called PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons). When the smoke surrounds the meat during the cooking process, it transfers those carcinogenic PAHs onto the meat itself.

nutritiouslife.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I'm kind of torn on the issue really.

Me too. Beyond not having enough information to really fairly judge this specific situation, I am loathe to advocate such intolerance for neighbors doing their thing... whatever that thing may be.

I had a next-door neighbor once who made menudo outside every Saturday. The smell of the tripe simmering for hours literally made me nauseous. But I also know lots of people love their menudo and they've gotta be able to cook it somewhere... so? I did what I could to mitigate the odor and deal with it.

Maybe her BBQing neighbor should make menudo one day and then I'll bet she'd welcome just regular old BBQ!

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I must admit that I cannot understand bbq grilling meat smelling offensive. I can see myself complaining though since my neighbor has allowed one of those mobile BBQ trailers to set up on his property and those delicious smells wafting over my fence are extremely overwhelming. Makes my mouth water and my stomach kicks in grumbling that it wants meat! I am forced to cook myself up some on my own BBQ more often now! Aaugh! The cruelty of my neighbors knows no bounds!

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
a reply to: InTheLight

I must admit that I cannot understand bbq grilling meat smelling offensive. I can see myself complaining though since my neighbor has allowed one of those mobile BBQ trailers to set up on his property and those delicious smells wafting over my fence are extremely overwhelming. Makes my mouth water and my stomach kicks in grumbling that it wants meat! I am forced to cook myself up some on my own BBQ more often now! Aaugh! The cruelty of my neighbors knows no bounds!

One man's treasure is another man's trash, comes to mind.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

This stems from a prevalent mindset where I don't like something, therefore YOU must not do it.

The vegan is no better than a book burner, in my opinion.

She doesn't like a book/statue/meat cooking. . . therefore YOU cannot have what SHE dislikes.

It's authoritarian.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

She also doesnt want their pets making any noise or their children and in an article i read she wanted a different neighbor to keep their patio lights lower

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

This stems from a prevalent mindset where I don't like something, therefore YOU must not do it.

The vegan is no better than a book burner, in my opinion.

She doesn't like a book/statue/meat cooking. . . therefore YOU cannot have what SHE dislikes.

It's authoritarian.

Well don't we all have that same mindset?
Abortion comes to mind.

People draw their lines, if you go to a restaurant many would be offended while they have their bacon and eggs if the guy at the next table is tucking into brains and a whole cow tongue. Many would complain about the smell of intestine soup.

Many complain because a traumatized soldier needs the security of a trained animal in the restaurant having never killed people in war or been on the edge of being turned into burgar they judge, even though the dog is on the floor where their dirty shoes walk.

I have a sister who is vegan who likes to garden naked, her neighbors are not happy!

The way I see it is like I am a KING I can kill animals no one will stop me unless it is a Dog or Cat. I give love to the Dog and Cat and food and vet care. Should a King really discriminate about those under his control? Why should I give to one of my subjects and take the life of another.

Now I consider this a personal decision and no ones business to judge. People eating brains, intestines, anus, balls and full boiled calf head make my stomach sick but it is their business as our law says they can do that.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: alphacenturi
a reply to: DBCowboy

She also doesnt want their pets making any noise or their children and in an article i read she wanted a different neighbor to keep their patio lights lower

Looks like the kids were playing basket ball against a tin wall between the homes I think that one may bother me too but I would not tell them to stop I would do as i have since getting bad neighbors I stopped using my yard.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Get a kiddie pool, fill it full of bbq sauce

Whoooaaaa there chum! We already got us an Augustus...

Augustus wouldn't use a kiddie pool for BBQ sauce *rolls eyes*

He'd use a hot tub so it would slow cook the little boogers, mmmmm, tender.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Ive seen more anti-vegan posts on the internet than any vegan posts.

Yet, somehow, vegans are the annoying ones.

Says something about your boring life if all you got to celebrate in life is eating cheap tortured meat.

And yea.. this lady was a duesh for taking this to court. But ppl protesting her house are a bunch of losers also.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The only reason Vegans get push back like they do is their intolerance towards those who chose to eat a normal diet. They can't just be Vegans, they insist on forcing their lifestyle on everyone around them. Makes me conclude many Vegans are not Vegan entirely due to a desire to not eat meat.

According to Vegan Bits only 0.05% in the US are Vegan, so they are actually statistically insignificant with no real political clout. Seems like an unusual number of Vegans are in it purely for attention.

We are the one (half) percent

So how many vegans are there in the USA? Based on a sampling of 11,000 adults, aged 17 and over, only two percent of Americans are vegetarian. Only one-in-four vegetarians — or 0.5% of the USA adult population — is vegan. Only half of one percent of the USA population — or 1.62 million of us — is vegan.

84% of vegetarians/vegans abandon their diet. Extrapolated out, that means that there are 8 million lapsed vegans as opposed to the 1.6 million current vegans.

Only about one-in-eight Americans has ever considered themselves vegetarian/vegan. Roughly 88 percent of Americans have always considered themselves omnivorous/carnivorous.

A community can't adjust it's norms to suit a tiny population of outliers. 84% of them returning to eating meat eventually tells me they were only Vegan because it was a fad for them and an attention getting tool.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

The only reason Vegans get push back like they do is their intolerance towards those who chose to eat a normal diet. They can't just be Vegans, they insist on forcing their lifestyle on everyone around them.

I think it is very like the people i know who used to smoke, they are the ones constantly complaining of smokers and wanting laws against smoking where they have to smell it or even complain seeing it.

Fat People who become thin are the same especially the exercise nut type.

Maybe when you change to something healthy and feel like your eyes are opened you feel like sharing or changing everyone or maybe it angers you that you used to do the "stupid" thing.

I am vegetarian but i have never cared what anyone else chooses to eat or not eat.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

I think in many cases, as is shown by the number of Vegans who return to a normal diet, it's more about the being different part of it than it is meat and the activism attracts some people. I think that's true with many activist and Vegans do seem to be mostly activists. Vegetarians never seem to have conflicts for the most part.

Personally I have zero issue with anyone's diets. Telling someone else what to eat or not eat is taking it over the line and that's when civility leaves the stage. I'm not surprised that the courts took no action in this case.

I've known quite a few activists and they always seem to be searching for something new to be and activist about. The flavor of the day activists.

I remember one guy I worked with and was friends with, who took up any cause. He was always going to some protest or another. One day he was talking about a nuclear power protest he'd gone to and I looked him in the eye and asked "how much do you know about nuclear power?". He of course told me he knew nothing about it and admitted he just liked to protest.

I protested the Vietnam War. Now being older and wiser I can honestly say I did it for the girls and to party, not because I had a grasp on what was going on. I did it for attention. I grew up and wised up. Most of the people protesting were in it for the party.

Whenever I see someone trying to force others to do as they do, I pretty much know what their real agenda is. Me, me, me; look at me.
edit on 9/5/2019 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Whenever I see someone trying to force others to do as they do, I pretty much know what their real agenda is. Me, me, me; look at me.

It seems some of your experiences has led you to believe this but although I am sure there are plenty who would go through enormous effort to be a part of some group, there are many many many who are not like that.

I know a lot of vegans but they have all been vegan for life or were vegetarian for ages and went all the way finally, they would never change back. Some that change back do it because of Family and Friends pressure.

What I would like you to consider is there are many people who have come to feel it is just wrong to love their "pet" and kill other animals for food when they don't have to. When they stop doing it they see it from a whole different perspective and they actually are haunted by the torture, pain and deaths we cause to our non human friends.

They start to smell bloody mess not "meat juice" see dead animal not steak. Roadkill is the same to me as a carcass purposely killed.

I see both sides, like I see my Friends side who stopped smoking, he cares about those who smoke like he used to but it also makes him angry anyone ever starts and that he has to have it around him still.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join