It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GDPs of California, Texas and New York

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This might help put the size of the U.S. economy in perspective: If the three states with the largest GDPs were independent nations, the remaining states in the USA would still have the largest GDP in the world. California would have the fifth largest, ranked below Germany and just above India. Texas would have the 11th largest GDP, ranked below Brazil and just above Canada. New York would be 13th, below Canada and above South Korea.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

China is the only competitor, and unless people are willing to get behind Trump playing hardball and having some short term suffering they will continue their incredible growth through stealing IP, currency manipulation, and unfair market advantages. That wouldn't be all that bad if they were friendly.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

The same was said about Japan, way back in the day... How they were going to overtake and replace the US as the worlds leading economic power... Nope. As with all things, that leveled off, even declined for a bit.

China is going to go through the same thing.

The why's of it are simple, neither country has the utter depth of the US economy. You name it, someone here in the US builds it. Markets it. Sells it.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Japan does not have the size/population of China. Thinking a nation less than half the US size was going to do that is silly. I am in my 40s and never heard Japan overtaking the US being something more than a handful considered.

China has 4 times out population. We are fueling their economy preventing that decline you talk about. That's why we need to stop doing it.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I was in college in the 80's when the "Japan is beating us!" frufrah began, many of my Profs thought that that was a great thing. But, as you say, Japan simply never had, nor will have, the depth of population required for a truly massive economy.

As with ww2, the result of an economic war with the US was never really in doubt.

China, on the other hand, does have the population depth, and the natural resources to complete head to head...what they don't have, due to the Communist being in control, is the freedom required to truly exploit markets. Add to that growing political instability in regions where Party control is resented?

It could happen, China replacing the US...but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

That, however, doesn't preclude having our (?) govt work out more favorable trade concessions/agreements with them...

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Oh I am not talking soon either, 20 or 30 years. But the US is fueling their growth and making up for the instability that SHOULD cause them serious problems. Rather than make concessions they are able to bull their way through it with the money they get from US business and stealing US IP.

I am perfectly willing to endure some temporary hardship to move US business elsewhere.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I would have thought Canada would be higher on the list.

Sad, really, Texas will never be free of the US.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

China is the only competitor, and unless people are willing to get behind Trump playing hardball and having some short term suffering they will continue their incredible growth through stealing IP, currency manipulation, and unfair market advantages. That wouldn't be all that bad if they were friendly.

I agree with everything you said. If China would start honoring both the letter and spirit of agreements it has signed, stop trying to drive foreign competitors out of business by deliberately overproducing and dumping at a loss, and most of all, stop stealing our proprietary knowledge, I would welcome their competition. I think they would still do fantastically well even without all the predatory economic practices.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Canada used to be higher. All the Canadians left to US due to climate. In return they screwed themselves over. Canadians fell for the American trap. Remember the times when Canadian dollar was higher than US?

Canadian had a way better marketing system and gov was protecting companies from foreign takeover until privatization happened. US economy completely crippled Canadian. Canadians were doing what China was doing way before china started with the free market. Protecting its national interest.

#1 Smart Canadians leaving Canada due to climate.
#2 Aligning with US when it shouldn't have, which allowed US companies to merge and takeover. Especially under NAFTA.
#3 Gov stop protecting Canadian Companies from foreign takeover.

US never finishes its war. So don't expect it to finish after WW3. If only Northern Brothers stop trusting the lying South. This wouldn't have happened.

edit on 4-9-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The problem all the competitors to the USA eventually face is the standards of living continue to rise, causing higher wages for workers there, causing companies to cycle to the next lowest cost country for manufacturing goods.

Granted China has a huge population of poor people for Nike and others to exploit before having to move on to a new area.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
a reply to: TonyS

Remember the times when Canadian dollar was higher than US?

You mean 2007? I never knew NAFTA happened after that.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Which is why China keeps QOL low.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   

They are pretty far behind.

The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in China was worth 13608.15 billion US dollars in 2018.

USA: 20,580.2 Billion

And they have 5 times as many people.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: funbobby

And they have 5 times as many people.

Which is why it's only a matter of time. Notice a trend?

2000 - We are 9x their GDP
•United States
10.28 trillion USD‌
•China
1.211 trillion USD

2010 - We are now only just over 2x their GDP
•United States
14.96 trillion USD
•China
6.101 trillion USD

2017 - We are now just about 1.5x their GDP

•United States
19.39 trillion USD
‌•China
12.24 trillion USD

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   

their growth rate is ever shrinking?

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: funbobby

The gap the US has is ever shrinking, we had 10x their GDP now we don't even have 2x. Their growth is 3x that of the US.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

in the first 10 year period you cited they grew by 600%
in the second only 100%
At this rate they will never catch up and they will still have 5 times as many people to live off of the smaller amount.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: funbobby

Their growth is 3x ours. So at that rate they will certainly catch up. Unless something changes.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   
People forget a few thing when it comes to the Chicom economy

They prioritized economic growth and the horrendous damage to their environment. Its easy to put out cheap crap when you can ignore pesky environmental regs

You population willing to work for cheap. That is changing

A government that is only one step removed from a Mao style dictatorship that can in effect tell the population to simply suck it up

The economic conflict with China is long overdue and past presidents have ignored it.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Yep. Democrats should be behind Trump finally addressing this, it's been needed since the 90s.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join