It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Film Untouchable Harvey Weinstein and the useless #MeToo era

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I just finished watching Untouchable the movie and it lefty me very angered.

I think we can all agree Harvey Weinstein is not a virtuous guy.

If an adult woman goes up to his hotel room and he asks her to blow him for a film role is that rape?

If he tells her her career will be over if she says no is that rape?

Is it extortion? Maybe.

Is it creating a hostile work environment and sexual harassment? Probably. Rape though?

What about all the women who did it and got the role?

What about all the other people in Hollywood doing the same?

What about everyone in Hollywood and out knowing about the "casting couch" since Hollywood began?

So Disney parts ways with the Weinsteins and Harvey is on the cross but what about all the horrible things that are Disney? Like CHILD abuse going on for decades?

The media tells us who to be mad at cooks up some charges some movies and news coverage and all is good now.

I'm really not defending Harvey I am sure he is very sleazy.

Funny how the women coming forward are those that didn't make it big.

Then #MeToo gets trotted out. I am a woman and as soon as I heard it I though who t f cares? We have all been sexually harassed at one point who does this movement help?

A vague movement where people talk about things that happened, okay might help therapy wise.

Also suddenly here is a vehicle to accuse anyone with no real ramifications no court and it has the potential to be used as a weapon.

In fact anything said these days is a weapon,

Everybody is guilty until proven innocent now. guilty by hashtag.

It's scary to me that the lines of what rape is can be allowed to be blurred this way.

I have read many comments about the film and most are fully against Weinstein.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: tiredoflooking

Hmm sexual coercion times 80+

I think 100 years is fair...... Fcuk him.

edit on 2-9-2019 by ManyMasks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ManyMasks

Yeah he's gross and horrible but is it rape?

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   

No I would say no, but the sheer volume of his predatory shenanigans should see him in a role reversal for the rest of his life, karma's a bitch.

But I agree with you, people like to exaggerate, it's prerequisite of events such as this, but then again people like him have probably/likely got away with much more.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ManyMasks

Yes something should happen and to many more who have done worse as well.

I feel like rape charges are set up to fail on purpose, by then everyone will be tired of their Hollywood blood lust, or so the dummies in charge think!

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Here is the thing....and all of this is with the caviate that anything can happen.. but I think most often people do what is logical (in their best interest) relative to the knowledge and situation they are in..

A) Wouldn’t they POSSIBLY be willing to say he threatened them to help justify them making the decision to do him??? Since there were literally women lined up outside begging to do him for the part, is the threatening necessary??

Not really..

Now let’s say hypothetically he did not threaten them, just made the offer of tit for tat..

I don’t think that is criminal.. sexual harassment is civil.

I will say I have seen big inconsistencies there has been shady ness with a lot of these me too allegations..

B) I saw an interview with one of the main Cosby accusers. she claimed Cosby gave her a cup of coffee that was drugged.

She claims Cosby gave her the drink, insisting she drink. Then as soon as she took just a little sip, she instantly felt lightheaded...

That is not how drugs work.. ingested drugs take from 20 min to an hour to kick in..

Also, if she only took a sip and INSTANTLY felt lightheaded... there would have been enough in the cup to kill her if she took a big gulp..

The al Frankenstein allegations were a joke..

The trump “plane chic’s “ story was ridiculous..

Juanita broadricks story reads like a fan girls Eleanor fantasy and has no proof she has ever been in a room alone with Bill Clinton..

edit on 2-9-2019 by JustJohnny because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

I am going to have to watch other interviews not included but the women it this movie don't even say he threatened them other than Roseanna Arquette who I have trouble believing about anything and she was hardly not established like the others.

Bill Cosby could be some funny business but still drugging to rape being different. I had not followed the testimony on that but I should check it out.

Me Too has brought out a lot of questionable things but can also give a platform for dishonest agenda driven acts.

I just do not know how we reach the middle here with these issues.

Seems like we are always at one far end of the spectrum or the other.

edit on 2 by tiredoflooking because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   
So if a person X says that I will do Y if you give me that job. Does that make it rape?

Hiw about if you make some one dinner for sex is that rape? Or for concert tickets?

If your choice if ass/grass/cash, is that rape?

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 12:37 AM
link   
deleted
edit on 3-9-2019 by Petra137 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Rape

unlawful sexual activity and usually sexual intercourse carried out forcibly or under threat of injury against a person's will or with a person who is beneath a certain age or incapable of valid consent because of mental illness, mental deficiency, intoxication, unconsciousness, or deception

www.merriam-webster.com...

I guess it comes down to what the definition of "injury" is.

I would personally consider losing my ability to work and provide for my family to be a much larger injury to my self than being forced to have sex by a much larger man.

So I'm inclined to accept that these women.where raped by Weinstein even if he did only threaten them with a non physical injury.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Lets face it he is as disgusting as any man can get.....but he had the *power*

and silly little wannabe's sold their souls for a part and fame, and found it

hard to live with!!

I have in some smaller way been there ..... I was asked "Didn't I want the

job then" to which I answered "Not if thats what it entails"

Depends on how one values one's self...... If you havent the talent, you are

aware of the price for buying it......But can you live with the result? which

is soul destroying

He however is still a disgusting excuse for a man.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I have no intention of watching the movie... so I cannot speak to the movie, how true it is or if it's the entire truth. As I understand it, there are claims of legitimate rape being committed. That will need to be proven (or not) in a court of law -- not in a movie. And the fact that this movie was produced and aired prior to the conclusion of legal proceedings against Weinstein tells me that it was never meant to be anything except propaganda.

In the grand scheme of things, compared to the brutal and violent abuse so many women and girls have suffered -- even been killed -- what these women experienced was nothing.

Other far more disturbing and horrific predators and their actions were also in the news -- Anthony Weiner, Jeffrey Epstein, NXIVM -- yet Hollywood never gave them the same attention. Who would make a movie without knowing the end? Why???

I'm not angry at any woman who would call out Weinstein for being the lowlife that he is.

I am angry that real violence and brutality against women and girls is ignored or given lip service.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I feel like this whole case maybe a conduit for distraction of more serious issues.

I'm not sure if it was planned with Weinstein in the planning or if he was sacrificed.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: tiredoflooking
a reply to: Boadicea

I feel like this whole case maybe a conduit for distraction of more serious issues.

I'm not sure if it was planned with Weinstein in the planning or if he was sacrificed.

Yeah, me too... definitely. Too much coincidence... too much convenience for too many. And just too damn obvious.

Sure makes me go "hmmmmmm." But I don't know where exactly to go with it!

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   
It's definitely exploitation. Is it outright rape? Probably not but close to it. Some of these people dedicate their lives to this one shot and he damn well knows he's the gatekeeper. So straight up physical rape? Not technically. Mental/emotional rape. Most certainly. Mental/emotional rape leading to penetration? Seems like that's the case.

Screw that guy.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   

It is jacked up because it is ALWAYS he said she said..

Most rapes are not by a stranger..

It is by someone where it started voluntarily and changed..

Because of that dynamic you do have to believe all women..

You don’t have to keep believing them once their story sucks, but you have to give them the benefit of the doubt, not the accused.. which is crazy..

But look at the alternative..

If you give the accused the normal “innocent till proven guilty “ benefit of the doubt. There are no rape convictions..

There is almost never evidence past the victims testimony.. and witnesses inherently suck..

That is why scientists don’t count witnesses..

I think the actual problem is that we need a bright red line that seperates rape and other crimes that cause life long harm, and someone playing grab @$$ ..

Someone grabbing your butt without permission doesn’t leave life long scars.. obviously.

Rape does.

I think that is the problem...

Bs is vetl

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

Easier said than done. "grabbing someone's butt doesn't leave lifelong scars" when if it was a 4-year-old being grabbed by a grandparent? How vigorous was the grab? Did it lead to other things? What lead up to the grab? How has this affected the mind of the victim?

Suddenly that bright red line becomes grayer and blurrier.

top topics

join