It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If life is truly like a sort of Matrix reality or like the brain in "the brain-in-a-vat"...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Many have claimed that what you experience is not real; that we may be living in a sort of matrix reality or like the brain in the brain-in-a-vat thought experiment.

If this is the case, then surely the way to test these claims is to...well..."commit suicide"?

In other words, the "suicide to escape the Matrix" operation?

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

If you die in the matrix you die in real life, don't you remember? An important part of the tale

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
How to do a "Matrix" test
step1: Get hammer
step2: Close your eyes and hit your finger with hammer
step3: No pain, then you're in a "Matrix" otherwise go see Vet !!

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Hasnt that always been the ultimate test of reality?

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

This has been my amateur interest over the last 6-8 months. The nature of consciousness and if there is more to reality than simply philosophical materialism.

Here's a few videos you might find interesting in answering your questions:

And this one:

And this one I think is very good in outlining the problem of philosophical materalism:

And this one is really shocking (most people think this one is a hoax but man crazy stuff)

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII
Many have claimed that what you experience is not real; that we may be living in a sort of matrix reality or like the brain in the brain-in-a-vat thought experiment.

If this is the case, then surely the way to test these claims is to...well..."commit suicide"?

If you believe in philosophical materialism then our brains are like a computer. All our memories are stored in our brains even though nobody has ever proved or shown how this works.

There is another theory not based on philosophical materialism that suggests our brains are more like an analog radio receiver. And our minds and memories come from fields existing in the sub-fabrics of reality.

The idea our brain is an analog radio receiver may sound like BS. But the problem of consciousness is not an easy one to solve. People who believe in philosophical materialism will claim we are not conscious at all and that our brains are just deluding us that we are conscious.

The thing is the way my consciousness experiences reality feels so much more real that what I imagine in my mind. It really does feel like we are alive inside the mind of some deeper fold of energy.

If philosophical materialism were true and our brains worked according to the computer metaphor then "Strong AI" systems would exist by now. It's been 70 years since the invention of the modern computer. Something is missing from the equation that makes us more than just abstract thoughts in some material storage medium.

Consider this video with regards to the nature of the human mind and having real meaning versus pretending abstract words mean MORE than they actually do:

edit on 13-8-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

That's what they said in the first part. But it turned out that all "physical" bodies, supposedly freed and outside of the Matrix, where actually in a Matrix, within the Matrix, placed there with the purpose of leading the anamoly back to the source.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Well, if we're living in a "matrix," then the sentient machines, or advanced beings, who created the virtual-reality simulation we're in, are truly deviant and depraved.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   

A) I see the “brain in a vat” matrix diff and find it silly...

Once we decide we are in a computer program , why would we need a brain or vat???

Isn’t it easier if we are computer programs root and stem?? To me the biological side is unnecessary..

It is like finding a long lost civilization and just assuming they had space travel...sure they might have... but probably not..

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

The brain as a receiver concept really resonates with me. Though more like a smart phone that can access knowledge, not just receiving. I never could get behind the idea that our brain holds all memories and knowledge that make us what we are.

When I was younger I felt that the brain as a communication device made perfect sense, but stumbled on why strokes, head injuries, etc. left people so debilitated. But the smart phone analogy fits well. I believe that different parts of the brain act like different chips in a smart phone, one chip (or section of brain) can get damaged leaving some functionality disabled. But the other pieces keep working. Books written by stroke survivors explain that they can be fully conscience but not able to communicate.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
Well, if we're living in a "matrix," then the sentient machines, or advanced beings, who created the virtual-reality simulation we're in, are truly deviant and depraved.

Or "they" could just be us in another form, trying to create a full spectrum of experiences that we can jump into and learn from. What we perceive as deviant and evil may just be advanced lessons.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   
If you're really interested in finding out what's on the other side. Let me know, we'll work something out.

posted on Aug, 15 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist
If you're really interested in finding out what's on the other side. Let me know, we'll work something out.

Each day, many of us are increasingly convinced that "reality" is anything but...

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 02:12 AM
link   
For all I know, none of you are real and I'm the only real person in all of existence. You're just simulations to fill my world. Maybe I'm in a mental prison for a crime I don't remember on some other world and the real world outside of this simulated prison is so great that being in this earth simulation is hell in comparison. Maybe I'm an angel who rebelled against the Creator and this fake reality, separated from said Creator, is my punishment. There are an infinite number of theories that can explain reality and each one is as realistic as the next because the truth is probably just as crazy as the most outlandish theory. Keep your mind forever opened.

edit on 28-8-2019 by DVforlife because: Typo

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII

If the simulation theory is true and the simulation or energy containment device technology is built by a type 2+ civilization or Angels then programs would probably be written to manage the suicidal or self eliminating...

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 02:27 AM
link   

What eyes do you see with when you are dreaming?
How

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

What eyes do you see with when you are dreaming?
How

The eyes do not 'see' in the sense you infer. Electrical signals are what give rise to seeing so in the dream world eyes are irrelevant.

top topics

join