It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'The Hunt' Cancelled by Universal

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
"The Hunt," the crazy movie depicting liberal elites hunting down their "prey" - Trump supporters and other deplorables - has been cancelled by Universal following a giant backlash from the public.

But in a statement released to Deadline on Saturday, Universal said: “While Universal Pictures had already paused the marketing campaign for The Hunt, after thoughtful consideration, the studio has decided to cancel our plans to release the film.

I'm really surprised by this, but glad that Universal decided to find their brains again and think through the distrubtion of this film. I imagine it'll still be released later on some streaming service, etc. but at least this is a small victory for those of us who do not enjoy watching any political or social group be systematically hunted down on screen.

'The Hunt' canceled by Universal following significant backlash

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: oriondc

Glad to hear this!

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I was actually planning on watching it.

ETA: By no means in a theater or anything like that, but would have watched it when it hit streaming.
edit on 10-8-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Damn, I was hoping they would run this movie in the theaters. Trump would have had a field day rubbing the Dems noses in that pile of #.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Here I was with my Trump shirt ready to head to the cinema. Well, there go my plans.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   

When one considers the number of people involved in producing such a product, it's astonishing no one thought to mention what a bad idea it was and to pull the plug before the investment.

Where the # were Universal's lawyers on this?
edit on 10-8-2019 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

Glad to hear this!

Why?

IMO this is everything wrong with the current approach to life.

Entertainment is a choice, if you don't want to watch something then why should anyone else be denied that freedom?

I equate this to a comic in Philly who, a few years ago, offended overweight people during his stand up routine because he made a joke about being fat.

Want to protest him, want to protest this movie, want to protest a show? Don't partake in them vs denying others the right to make that choice.
edit on 10-8-2019 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Nobody said it should be illegal...

Do you think self regulation is a bad thing?

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

Nobody said it should be illegal...

Do you think self regulation is a bad thing?

Where did I say anything about illegal?

Why stop with this film? I mean how about the self-regulators also tell us what books we can read, music we can listen to or films we can choose to watch.

edit on 10-8-2019 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The party of free speech* censoring a movie they don't agree with.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Pretty sure a business made a decision not to harm the companies bottom line. Thats exactly how its passed off when the shoe is on the other foot...like when its twitter censoring conservatives its all...well use another service...well the people just told universal pretty much exactly that and universal decided not to lose the income.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

I disagree. This will make it even more notorious and newsworthy, so when it finally does leak or make it's way out it'll be an even bigger cash cow.

Nothing sells like controversy, especially in Hollywood.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Um, do you understand what a self-regulator is because you're making it out to be someone else doing the regulating (namely the government).

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: RickyD

I disagree. This will make it even more notorious and newsworthy, so when it finally does leak or make it's way out it'll be an even bigger cash cow.

Nothing sells like controversy, especially in Hollywood.

I remember films being "banned" through the late 20th century.

They usually became "Cult Classics".

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I guess you don't know what self-tegulation means.

edit on 10-8-2019 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I watched the preview but it looked like a cheap version of a few movies in this genre and probably worse than the worst of them which is Gymkata.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I just watched the trailer out of sheer curiosity.

What exactly is the issue with a reimagining of “The Most Dangerous Game?” I didn’t see anything about this specifically referencing political parties.

But then again, critical theory allows for the collective to glean any meaning they interpret off of a movie and be “correct”.

Cultural Marxism at its finest.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

I guess you don't know what self-tegulation means.

Great call it self-regulation, call it censorship, call it whatever you want but in the end it is someone else removing the choice to watch a film or not.

That seems like a slippery slope to me.

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

If they can cancel the release of important films like "The Interview" they can certainly cancel this POS film.

The Interview

posted on Aug, 10 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Politics aside, this was dumb. I'm fairly certain the rich paying to hunt the ultimate game trope has already been done multiple times. I can always watch the Purge movies too..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join