It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LGBTQ at higher risk for dementia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
www.npr.org...

The research, led by the University of California, San Francisco, was released at the 2019 Alzheimer's Association International Conference in Los Angeles. A large phone-based survey was conducted across nine states. Out of more than 44,000 adults aged 45 and older, roughly 3% of participants identified themselves as a sexual or gender minority.

Not sure I can agree with a phone based survey, but if there is medical evidence of this... well draw your own conclusions.

Does cognitive impairment (or propensity to have it) cause a disruption in a persons sexuality, or does a persons sexuality cause cognitive impairment.
This entire article tiptoes around it, but is being gay, start as a mental disorder? Is that what they are alluding to? (I'm not saying that is my opinion)

This article states that LGBTQ individuals have a harder time with household tasks than their Straight counterparts, or even cisgender counterparts. Having that difficulty can lead to dementia.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Phone surveys are hugely liable to a participation bias. I would think especially if they are asking elderly about their nocturnal proclivities.

Dementia is a diagnosis of a constellation of symptoms, rather than a description of some disease vector. There's a very strong correlation of dementia with diet.

And if course, your conclusions depend on your assumptions. If you believe that gaiety is largely behavioral or cognitive, then it could be a hallmark of dementia. If you think it is largely biological, then you could seek a genetic marker for both traits.

Assuming of course, that there IS in fact a correlation; and even further, that they are somehow causually linked.

So for counter argument, I'll say that:

gaiety and dementia are both caused by global warming.

Oh yeah, And I'm bringing "gaiety" back as a noun. Purely ironically, of course.
edit on 17-7-2019 by Graysen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Any survey based on a phone call on a landline is probably going to be crap. Even my parents don't have landlines anymore.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

UCSF?

How the hell did they ever allow this to get published? Clearly these findings would hurt so many feelings.

edit on 17-7-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I would say that certain unhealthy lifestyles put one more at risk.

There was once a NIH study on why lesbians were so at risk to be overweight, for example. A lot of the factors that go into making one overweight also can lead to an increased risk of Alzheimer's according to research.

So if a greater percentage of the population in question are leading less healthy lives for whatever reason, then those factors may be leading them to Alzhiemer's more than their sexual proclivities. At that point, it may be a matter of correlation not equaling causation.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   

This article states that LGBTQ individuals have a harder time with household tasks than their Straight counterparts, or even cisgender counterparts. Having that difficulty can lead to dementia.

Seems a bit silly. How do you have a hard time with household tasks? Gay or not.. They are just simple tasks you have to do to keep a clean space..

Maybe they are referring to already mentally ill that cling to LGBT. Hmm...

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Ever tried doing anything while depressed?

link   

Stuff going senile, but feck being a Transexual senile person, having an episode where you think you're in a previous age, looking down and discovering your junk has been replaced!

Talk about discombobulated.

link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Also, now there is "scientific proof" they need more and better benefits than cis-hetero people to offset their increased risk. Paid for by everyone else out of "fairnss".

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I really think that a persons sexual preference has no bearing on their mental state or lack thereof.

Causality does not imply causation.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ahh maybe.. I remember hearing something about lgbtq having a higher rate of mental illness than straight folk.

Honestly, it makes sense. Hate to bash lgtbq, but it is a mental defect that creates one to desire the same gender.

In any case, I'm all for LGBTQ as time has shown that their bodies have chosen this disposition. They can't alter it. It's not some curable disease.

Therefore, even if they have a high rate of mental problems, they should still be supported.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Careful. That crowd will be demanding reparations because being LGBTQ makes them mentally ill and it's all because of discrimination.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I really think that a persons sexual preference has no bearing on their mental state or lack thereof.

Broseph, you ain't been watching the pr0n hard enough if you believe that.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I call bulls**t on this one...

Eight years working with dementia patients... i've only came across a few LGBTQ

Its extremely rare

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Again, this one relies on understanding percentage.

Yes, there are fewer overall LGBT + whatever other letters we're adding this week in the overall population, so you would come across less of them. They're like ... less than 5% of the overall population. The question isn't whether or not there are more Alzheimer's patients in general, but whether or not as a group in and of themselves, their population is more likely to develop Alzheimer's than non LGBT + whatever other letters we're adding this week.

So it's like saying that morbidly obese people are more likely then healthy weight people to develop type II diabetes. That's not because there are overall more morbidly obese people. It's because morbidly obese people as their own distinct population have a higher percentage of individuals who develop type II diabetes.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   
What?
Eating Lettuce, Grilled-Bacon, and Tomato on Quinoa bread causes dementia now?

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Well, if this group of people are not getting adequate choline, betaine, taurine, B6, or are eating a diet or taking meds that block acetylcholine, then their chances are higher. coffee also helps to dampen it from happening. It could even be they are not getting enough good fats.

I doubt if it is because of their sexual preference, but it could be because they are not eating a diet they are supposed to eat that they have increased risk of dementia. They are eating a diet that matches the people they desire to hang around with. A vegetarian can get all of these but they need to actually put effort into making sure they eat right to get healthy, most of the vegetarians I know belong to the coop, they share knowledge on this with each other. Some of the gays do belong to the health food coop here, they are healthy too.

I do not really know what the LGBTQ people eat but know some gay guys and some of them do not eat food like eggs and they may not eat enough meats in general, they also seem to eat a diet low in what I mentioned. I do not know if they drink coffee, one I know does, he is sharp as can be.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Oh so that's a shame?????????

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

I call bulls**t on this one...

Eight years working with dementia patients... i've only came across a few LGBTQ

Its extremely rare

Maybe they forgot they where LGBTQ. Lol

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 12:35 AM
link   
It's okay most of you will die from various things before reaching such age.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join