It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Line dried clothes vs Drying machines

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The other day I put some shirts outside on the line to dry. It was hot and sunny.

The shirts dried in ten minutes. I took them off, and that scent. I can't even describe it, but it has to
be the freshest scent in the world. Nothing in the world like sheets dried in the sun.

For many Americans, using a gas or electric dryer is a way of life, but is it actually bad for us?
I don't know the science behind it, but I imagine there are some positive /negative ions being involved in
drying wash outside. Does the electric/gas dryer destroy that? I know that the UV from the sun can actually
kill some of the odor causing bacteria. The sun can actually naturally bleach clothes too.

I've heard a lot of Doctors say not to dry clothes outside if you have allergies. I'm starting to believe everything they say is the opposite.
Maybe drying clothes outside eventually cures allergies?? My mom and dad were talking about it the other day. They said they don't remember
anyone every having any allergies growing up...

As I get older it seem the more we get away from natural living the more unhealthy we are. Not just what we eat, but everything.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Some people don't like bath towels dried on the line because they have a rough feel. I grew up with line dried clothes, so it doesn't bother me.
I line dry when the weather is sunny on a Saturday (my wash day) and use the dryer when it is rainy and in the winter.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I agree and have been taking advantage of the summer air and enjoying the freshness as well as saving on electric bill. One tip I utilized was using vinegar as a fabric softener during wash cycle. I worried that this would leave a scent in clothes but it does not. Otherwise line drying leaves fabric a little rough. Dryers are also rough on fabric and accelerate the breaking down/wear process. Snap you clothes out of the wash to help reduce wrinkles. The sun also serves to whiten whites and brights.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Putting clothes on the line gets them covered in pollen.
We often line dry clothes in the summer when we can- but they wind up going in the dryer for ten minutes after anyway just to shake the pollen off.
I developed allergies later in life, nearly thirty years old. Ignoring them doesn't make them go away, just means you spend a few years living in allergy hell before you deal with your problems.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: waftist

I agree and have been taking advantage of the summer air and enjoying the freshness as well as saving on electric bill. One tip I utilized was using vinegar as a fabric softener during wash cycle. I worried that this would leave a scent in clothes but it does not. Otherwise line drying leaves fabric a little rough. Dryers are also rough on fabric and accelerate the breaking down/wear process. Snap you clothes out of the wash to help reduce wrinkles. The sun also serves to whiten whites and brights.

Vinegar strips everything. You can use it as a pre-shampoo too. I hate the smell, but it works amazing and the smell goes with the rinse!

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
When our five kids were little & I was doing 30-40 loads of laundry a week,
I hung it all outside. Being the organizer that I am, I hung it by color. All the blue first.
& type, like all the jeans first. It made it interesting! Lol! Nothing like the smell of fresh sheets!

Since all the kids are grown & gone, I haven't in awhile. But the last couple of times that I did,
everything smelled like wet dog when I brought it in! There was no noticeable smell in the air,
so I don't know what's up with that! ☹

WOQ

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Its all part of the international "Big-Dry" industry pressuring doctors to give false advice regarding drying clothes in exchange for cash incentives. Goes all the way to the top, it's discussed at builderberg each year, Trump actually only won because Hilary was going to expose the whole thing and so they sabotaged her campaign to keep a "Dry-Friendly" POTUS (disgusting) in the White House. Really look at how many homes owned machine dryers in Iraq before the war and then after the war... someone is making lots of money out of all these dryers and it goes all the way to the very top. They "Big-Dry" manufactures where almost exposed but they were able to use the attacks of 9/11 to have all the documents relating to the conspiracy destroyed.

Little known fact but machine dryer technology actually comes from reversed engineered alien tech, probably why they're so desperate to keep the whole thing secret.

I say, don't ever use a machine dryer, even if you live in Scotland where it rains 99% of the year, wet clothes that have been pooped on by seagulls are much healthier.

Remember, if you don't want your kids to get AIDS, just dry them on the line, never the machine!

We can stop "Big-Dry"

S&F for raising such a important and largely unknown conspiracy OP
edit on 17-7-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-7-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   

If I can I dry outside. Sometimes we are forced to use the dryer but mostly its line dried.
Keeps clothes longer and they are less wrinkled. I hang my blouses on hangers and they go right into the closet from outdoors.

I call the clothes that go in the dryer baked .

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I use liquid softener in the wash cycle then I fluff the towels before I fold them up.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I clean makeup brushes with dish soap and vinegar. Soak for ten minutes and rinse.
No stains.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I've never owned a dryer machine, always been an air/sun dried thing for me, but I have microwaved socks in an urgent rush before now. Interesting thoughts on health, same with airtight sterile homes these days, I'm sure the human body is still catching up with modern chemicals and general environment.
The cleaning product aisles in supermarkets has always made mildly nauseous since I remember, but pollen etc, never an issue for me.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: butcherguy

I use liquid softener in the wash cycle then I fluff the towels before I fold them up.

I use liquid softener when I am going to line dry. But I don't have time to fluff.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Clothes will last much longer drying outside. No friction beating the clothes to death. I don't like clothes drying outside because I associate it with poor people. All those pictures of third world countries hanging clothes between buildings and huts. Then all the filthy air from factories. No thanks. In the country side is ok though.

I just bought a new dryer with a steam feature in it which is awesome. It gets all the wrinkles out. Big time saver.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

You can make fun of my topic, but i'll say this.

I've done thousands, yes thousands of loads of laundry in my life. Many line dried, many in a dryer.

Without a doubt drying in the sun gets fabric fresher smelling without chemicals. You can never achieve that smell from
an drying machine. If you look on many laundry detergent/dryer sheets/fabric softeners. What do you see??
It's a picture of clothing hanging in the sun. Why is that? The manufactures know there is something deeply ingrained in humans to associated that as the most clean, the most natural, the most fresh. Look at this dyer sheet, it actually says "outdoor fresh"... you know another way you can get oudoor fresh???....

The same can be said for humans. Have you ever taken a shower and gone outside on a sunny day to dry. There is something about drying in the sun. I'm not scientific enough to explain it, but I do know it is very different than drying in any other matter. My guess is that this method is the most healthy too.

Laugh all you want. I've spent a lot of my life working with textiles. Human existence and textiles have gone hand in hand since the beginning of time. To question how we prepare/treat fabrics that we wear on our skin (our biggest organ) is not silly. It should be questioned. Maybe the static electricity from a dryer isn't good for us. I know for a fact that dryer sheets are not a healthy option.

edit on 17-7-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
On behalf of posters from Scotland can I ask, what is line dried?

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

It just means you hang your clothes to dry instead of using a machine.

It is often meant that you dry your clothes on a clothes drying line most often outside.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: ScepticScot

It just means you hang your clothes to dry instead of using a machine.

It is often meant that you dry your clothes on a clothes drying line most often outside.

Surely putting clothes outside is an alternative way to wash them?

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Aw, the member was joking

It is a fact that sun shines for just 3 days around the solstice each year in Scotland, they save their best clothing for this festival, hung proudly outside while the natives feast and rejoice!

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silure

It is a fact that sun shines for just 3 days around the solstice each year in Scotland, they save their best clothing for this festival, hung proudly outside while the natives feast and rejoice!

3 whole days would be conclusive proof of global warming.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silure

That is too funny.
I had a friend visit Scotland. He told me they are most pleasant people on earth.
He said they even just go outside and dance around. I wonder if he was visiting during those 3 days!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join