It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Line dried clothes vs Drying machines

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Well, I guess there's something to be said for the scent but it is probably amplified by the amount of effort put into drying your clothes the hard way. Any day when the weather is less than perfect, bad things happen when you try to dry your clothes outside. And just generally, anything that can go wong will. Eventually. Which means that your dryer will probably eventually kill you if cancer or heart disease or aggressive humans doesn't get you first.

The clothes dryer machine was invented for a reason. Not the least of which is lazy. But other reasons too. High population density and a preference for not having drama also makes drying clothes outside not such a good idea.
edit on 17-7-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
A lot of Homeowner associations don't allow line drying of clothes. They say it depresses resale value of neighboring houses by making the neighborhood "appear poor."

A couple of my kids were born and lived through the toddler years with us in the desert southwest. It was windy every day. The 2 biggest problems with line drying were:

A) A dust-storm blowing in and sticking to all your clothes on the line.

B) the wind kicking up above 35 mph and your clothes being blown into the neighbors yard. Wifey did not appreciate the middle school aged boys bringing her the ... nether garments ... they found in the road while walking home from the bus.

We went to cloth diapers about that time. I didn't mind it much (I did most of the work. Wife was bedridden for 6 months post partum).

Cloth diapers had changed a bunch since I wore them. No more pins, for one thing. I still remember being impaled by a babysitter, getting a safety pin through the hip! probably why I'm not a fan of body modification today.

The new diapers had some velcro and some snaps on them. When you got a ____load of them, you had to give 'em a swirly in the toilet, then run em through the washing machine. Dreft plus bleach got all stains out. Then you hung em outside. I would snap two together so we wouldn't lose them in a high wind, although it looked a bit like the hurricane warning flags in Florida.

They came out wonderfully fresh and soft because of the wind whipping the crap out of them on the line. They were made shaggy like a bath towel. Kids hated the paper kind when we traveled, because they made the baby sweat.

I think a whole range of washable diapers cost like $300. Basically, 3-5 months of diapers. Our kids line up like stair steps, so the older handed them down when they graduated.

The diaper had a separate cloth inner layer, which if the kid only peed, you could change the inner one and keep going. So less laundry than you'd expect, if you had only had experience with paper diapers

edit on 17-7-2019 by Graysen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

For the majority of my life, I dried clothes and bedding outside. You are correct, the fresh smell is wonderful.

The reasons I use a dryer now is, I am partially disabled, and I now have indoor cats. The dryer removes most of the cat hair.

I also have a highly efficient front loading Bosch washing machine and dryer. The spin cycle removes so much of the water, the dryer does not have to run very long.

I always leave the door on the washing machine open, when not in use, to prevent unpleasant smells.

Plus, I have a lot of birds around my yard.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Try line drying your clothes in a humid climate ...

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Aside from being an energy suck, we can also thank dryers for all the wonderful microplastics we injest daily.
Fleeces are really bad. The exhaust blows the plastics into the air, where it falls to the ground and washes into the groundwater and passes through water treatment filters.

Yum, yum, get your freshly embeded foreign body cancer drinks.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Graysen

A lot of Homeowner associations don't allow line drying of clothes. They say it depresses resale value of neighboring houses by making the neighborhood "appear poor."

www.caionline.org...
www.clotheslines.com...

Not sure if you live in a solar rights / solar access state. If you do, your solar rights supersede that of any HOA or even village.
Yes that means your HOA can't tell you that you can't line hang clothing if you live in one of those states. You can tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine!

edit on 17-7-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Fleeces are really bad. The exhaust blows the plastics into the air, where it falls to the ground and washes into the groundwater and passes through water treatment filters.

Yes yes yes, you are catching my drift!

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

We had an old ringer washer that we wash our clothes with growing up. We kept it outside with the ol wash tub covering it. All our clothes growing up were line dried as we couldn't t afford a dryer.
We have a clothes line in our back yard now and use it every once an a while.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
On behalf of posters from Scotland can I ask, what is line dried?

I think it is something that involves ancient mysticism and the slaughter of a virgin goat to the gods in return for dry clothes.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I had a friend visit Scotland.

Scotland is a myth this is fake news....

He told me they are most pleasant people on earth.

He didn't got to Dundee then....

He said they even just go outside and dance around.

...ahhh no wait he did, people dancing outside, sounds like a Dundonian on crack.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I don't hang outside, but we have a large garage where the washer/dryer hookups are. I have lots of space in there to hang to my heart's content, so I do.

If new clothes say dry on low, I just hang them on a hanger. The only difference I can tell between them and dryer is that they might be a bit stiffer/rougher after being hung. And let's be honest, most clothes tell you to tumble dry low, so most everything gets hung up. I only really dry our housepants, older tees, some sheets and blankets and towels, and our undies because those just need to be treated like toxic waste ... I mean they are underwear!

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 11:30 PM
link   
We haven't put anything out on the clothslines this year. First there was a bird nest in the end of the pipe on the clothes pole, then the pollen got bad and we could not hang them out. Or, maybe we are just getting lazy this year and toss the clothes in the dryer. I should move the clothes poles out from under the trees, birds always sit in those trees waiting for the seeds to be put out, they poop.

Our dryer has a lot of balls, we do not use fabric softener anymore, those wool balls work pretty good, way cheaper in the longrun.

edit on 17-7-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I find tumble clothes dryers to be the best method for accelerated wear of fabrics so I'd only use a dryer as absolute last resort. Most of the year here line drying works fine and the wet weather or winter solution is to hang things on folding dryer racks near the woodheater inside.

Hanging clothes outside on a sunny day with a gentle breeze always yields the most satisfying results. It's worked best ever since we discovered bashing clothes with a rock in the creek freshened the apparel

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Hang to dry outside is always the best. None of my good clothes ever go in the dryer. In the winter I got a "drying rack" aka exercise equipment downstairs near the washer that I hang my good clothes on to dry. Even my jeans, hang to dry then put in the dryer for 3-5 mins just to fluff/soften them up a bit.

Cold water gentle cycle (tide pods/tide cold water) hang to dry, ur good clothes will last forever.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Using the sun's UV to sanitize clothes, while taking in a bit of the nearby environment (pollens, etc) certainly has some benefits over machine drying.

However...its an awful lot of work (time.) My wife is a homemaker and is far too busy to incorporate line drying, though we've been talking about doing so for sheets & blankets.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Years ago,I used to have a clotheline in my backyard.I would love to
have one now but my homeowners association would have a fit.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

I find it insane that in the US a Homeowners Association has the power to stop you hanging clothes out to dry in your garden. It is your property - tell them to F off........

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

I find it insane that in the US a Homeowners Association has the power to stop you hanging clothes out to dry in your garden. It is your property - tell them to F off........

It is insane, but people will buy a house in a development with an HOA just to 'keep out the riff raff' and have better resale value.
Not me.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

I don't find it insane, although I don't like HOAs.
When you live in one you are agreeing to the rules. It is in essence a mini government. It really is. You fully
agree to it when you buy there and are given all the rules on a legal document.
If you don't like the rules don't live there, but don't live there and expect the rules to change for you.
HOA's are actually very bad for everyone.

There are some things HOA's say you can't do, but you can, but again it all depends on your state.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Funny that I came across this post today as I am wondering what to do with my clothes
that I had just washed in my washer... went to turn on the dryer and nothing no heat just a whole lot of
tumbling dang dryer is barely 3 years old and I have always cleaned the lint trap and have only used it maybe 2x a week
… I have a heck of a lot of clothes to do no clothes line and it is raining is 9:51 too early to start drinking
Never ends.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join