It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Andrew Yangs not leaving!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

No, he'd clearly a crypo-verangian with some opulent curlicues.

I know I'm drunk but what? lol

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015
100% agree.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: thov420

No, he'd clearly a crypo-verangian with some opulent curlicues.

I know I'm drunk but what? lol

We have supported a silence of hard, deep, intellectual concepts so profound, it approaches stupidity.

The goggles - they do nothing!

edit on 2/7/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut
I'm still
unsure about what you meant by "crypo-verangian" and "opulent curlicues". I tend to get called pedantic by most people I communicate with, but I have no idea what you meant when you posted these statements/observations. Are those even English words/phrases?

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:44 AM
link   

I'm still
unsure about what you meant by "crypo-verangian" and "opulent curlicues". I tend to get called pedantic by most people I communicate with, but I have no idea what you meant when you posted these statements/observations. Are those even English words/phrases?

It depends on the way you apply the badges.

For instance, if you nail a Republican badge, to a wooden door. Does this make all doors Republican, and all Republicans wooden?

Some, it seems, would ague so.

I was taking the p1$$ at the expense of those who classify the policies of a particular politician by labeling them with a colored animal badge. Which seems to be the way American politics works.

For example: Trump supporters seem to almost universally deride all 'the opposition', despite the fact that Trump is a particularly poor example of 'a Republican' (remember, he was called a Democrat and had some of the same policies not too long before he stood as Presidential candidate for the Republicans - he switched parties a number of times. A 'fair weather' Republican, perhaps?).

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: Lumenari

a reply to: dfnj2015
No offense, but I've seen you post that you like AOC and Sanders in critical threads. You never seem to explain why you like them/their policies though...

Because he's a hard Marxist.

A Communist.

I'll tell you what I want to be:

You and I may disagree politically, but damn fine choice in music!

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 01:06 AM
link   

I'm still

For instance, if you nail a Republican badge, to a wooden door. Does this make all doors Republican, and all Republicans wooden?

Would that make all doors Democratic if your scenario was reversed?

I was taking the p1$$ at the expense of those who classify the policies of a particular politician by labeling them with a colored animal badge. Which seems to be the way American politics works.

So making up words and applying them to the opposition makes you feel superior?

[quote]
For example: Trump supporters seem to almost universally deride all 'the opposition', despite the fact that Trump is a particularly poor example of 'a Republican' (remember, he was called a Democrat and had some of the same policies not too long before he stood as Presidential candidate for the Republicans - he switched parties a number of times. A 'fair weather' Republican, perhaps?).

Like every other country on the planet, there are gradients of views. Almost nobody can be put into a simple little box of conservative/liberal or Rep/Dem for all issues. I have considered myself liberal for the last decade, but the American left has gone so far left I feel voting for the Reps is more in line with my thinking than the Dems.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I'm still

Would that make all doors Democratic if your scenario was reversed?

No, the grouping of all wooden objects into either political party is entirely invalid and yet similar 'unreasonable groupings' are used again and again in debate on ATS. That was my point.

So making up words and applying them to the opposition makes you feel superior?

My previous comment about "colored animal badges" was not partisan to 'either side' of American politics.

To whom would I be superior, the American political machine? Perhaps we should all hold ourselves as superior to it? We are, after all, the arbiters that give 'the political' its purpose and meaning.

... and I am not an American and so am distanced from any American specific ideology.

Like every other country on the planet, there are gradients of views. Almost nobody can be put into a simple little box of conservative/liberal or Rep/Dem for all issues. I have considered myself liberal for the last decade, but the American left has gone so far left I feel voting for the Reps is more in line with my thinking than the Dems.

Fair enough. But are 'the left' all Democrats? Are 'the right' all Republicans?

The thing is that both parties are, and have historically been, quite centrist and have avoided the looney (and somewhat dangerous) extremists.

Yet there are many in the alt-right movement that want to convince everyone that the extremists are the 'conservatives' and that everyone to the left of an extreme right wing position, is a leftist. They are erasing the middle ground.

The middle are the reasonable and the compassionate who also want to make a buck, but they don't feel any hatred based on some sort of political theory. The have strong ethical senses of right and wrong but they also can appreciate that sometimes, the laws are unjust and that governments and authorities can do the wrong thing. They have a work ethic and will lend a hand to those who aren't as fortunate.

Yet the middle is vanishing in the propaganda that is being pushed (from both extremes) at the moment.

edit on 2/7/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Yet there are many in the alt-right movement that want to convince everyone that the extremists are the 'conservatives' and that everyone to the left of an extreme right wing position, is a leftist. They are erasing the middle ground.

And there is an equal number of people on the left trying to convince everyone that the people they don't agree with are all Nazis, racists, etc. on the right. It's all ridiculous but that type of speech finds it's way into the media narrative and some just run with it instead of doing the job of an actual journalist.

posted on Jul, 3 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   

And there is an equal number of people on the left trying to convince everyone that the people they don't agree with are all Nazis, racists, etc. on the right. It's all ridiculous but that type of speech finds it's way into the media narrative and some just run with it instead of doing the job of an actual journalist.

I agree (we don't usually).

I think, however, that it is important the we all seek to re-establish the predominance of the middle ground. Without a middle, contentious issues cannot be discussed and it becomes an 'insult-fest' about badge wearing rather than attendance to the specifics of the actual issues.

For instance issues such as LGBTQI, abortion, homelessness, healthcare and nearly every other issue easily devolve into 'you guys did what when' blaming, rather than how we may resolve the issues.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join