It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Report: Saddam's son Uday was poised to topple dad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
A recent investigative article by Peter Arnett claims that Uday Hussein, eldest son of Saddam, may have been plotting his fathers overthrow even as troops were advancing on Baghdad. Uday had apparently courted and won loyalty from his fathers Fedayeen militia and planned to use them in the overthrow. The evidence centers around a letter from Saddam Fedayeen commander General Maki Humudat in which he pledges loyalty to the new government under Uday.

news.yahoo.com
LOS ANGELES (AFP) - The eldest son of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein was plotting to overthrow his father just as US troops advanced on Baghdad in March 2003, journalist Peter Arnett claimed in Playboy Magazine.

Uday Hussein, known for his ruthlessness and flashy lifestyle, had won the support of the leadership of his father's Fedayeen militia to overthrow Saddam's 35-year rule, according to an advance copy of the April edition of Playboy obtained by AFP.

The controversial reporter, who was fired by the US NBC television network in 2003 after suggesting that the US war plan in Iraq (news - web sites) had failed, made the claim following an 18-month investigation in which he says he gained access to Uday Hussein's inner circle.

The article cited a letter from Saddam Fedayeen commander General Maki Humudat, dated March 26, 2003, in which he swore allegiance to a new Iraqi government under the control of Fedayeen chief Uday Hussein.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Interesting, but not surprising given that every member of the family was crazy and hungry for power. I'm surprised that Saddam who in the past had ruthlessly suppressed any threats to his own existence from within would be caught unaware of this plot. All the more interesting that at the end both of his sons were found and killed together. Perhaps both were in on it. I would have suspected that if he truly had the loyalty of the Saddam Fedayeen he would have been better hidden and protected. I wonder he was going to use his father as a bargaining tool to try to stay in power and work a deal with the U.S.?

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This may explain why his sons were killed, and Saddam is alive. (They could have taken them alive) Did we have prior knowledge( if this guy did, how could we not) and who we are fighting now are actually those who pldeged to Uday, and a different rule in iraq. just a thought...

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
This may explain why his sons were killed, and Saddam is alive. (They could have taken them alive) Did we have prior knowledge( if this guy did, how could we not) and who

I don't think so. If they knew ahead of time talking him alive would have been a better option to better leverage him against his father etc etc. You be surprised what he may have done for some freedoms.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Let me think, "HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Saddam's own son wasn't loyal to him. The apple's don't fall too far from the tree, do they?"

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Peter Arnett is making this up.
Uday Hussein was as much a pathological murderer like his father as like his brother, Qusay. Even if Uday plans to "overthrow" his father, he would still have to deal with his brother Qusay who have already secured the supports and loyalties of Saddam's Inner Circle men and was preparing for his ascension to take his father's place.

[edit on 3/3/2005 by the_oleneo]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
From Playboy.com

“Uday’s continued family meddling brought about the biggest internal crisis the regime had ever faced. New information suggests that Saddam gave the go-ahead for a terrible punishment to be inflicted on his errant offspring.”

Looks like his dad was ready to topple him if you ask me.

[edit on 3/3/2005 by shots]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Dictatorships tend to run in families, there's always the son or the brother wanting the glory...

Beware of governments run by the same family...'nuff said

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Dictatorships tend to run in families, there's always the son or the brother wanting the glory...

Who was the US president before Clinton?

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Rapier,

Your point?

It certainly wasnt Clintons son (if he had one) or Clintons father or grandfather, was it.

It be the daddy of them all
and now he basks in his sons glory

[edit on 3-3-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
LOL, if Hillary becomes the next President, then it will really look like a Monarchy.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapier28

Originally posted by dgtempe

Who was the US president before Clinton?

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! Very good point and incredibly ironic wouldn't ya say.
The similarity between Saddam's Political Carreer and what seems to be going on within our Electoral Process is a little stranger than fiction IMO. While different in method they are definately of the same motive.
~Saddam Hussein wasn't willing to let go of his power so the son was just gonna take it.
~The Bush Clan seem to be content just keeping it very, very close at hand and at their disposal.
~The Clinton's also want to keep it like the Bush Clan next door but without a team setup for a Long Legacy of Rule like their Rival neighbor Bush.

Let's look at the board shall we:
Bush Sr. -------> Bill Clinton -----------> Jr. Bush ---------- > (possible)------> Mrs. Bill Clinton ---- or (another) Jr. Bush!!!!
Holly crap, that's just a big 'ol "Clint-Bush Sandwich" and we all gotta take a bite, & forced to choke it down with a smile!! 20 years of our History with maybe more to follow and I don't know about you but I'm hungry for a FREAKIN' CHANGE!!!

What the hell is happening here??? So, am I and the rest of the people of this world really supposed to buy into the idea that out of all the potential cantidates throughout this entire country of America, the best we can come up with for yet another Presidential Term is Clinton and/or Bush!!! (not for sure but it's on the table). You know I could swear there was a couple times in my lifetime where I have heard or seen other very capable and brilliant people who, believe it or not, were neither a Bush or Clinton. Could it be possible??? I guess I was just dreaming it. This is apparently the best we have to offer which is just sad & vomitous!!

top topics

join