It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google: Stadia streaming service

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   
It looks like Google is going deep into the gaming race by launching its 100% streaming service called Stadia.

Just how Netflix allows you to stream movies, Stadia allows you to stream games.
Claiming their cloud-based service has the computing power to the equivalent of a console running at 10.7 teraflops.
Which is more than My Xbox one X and a PS4 Pro combined.

To use the service, you run a connection test that checks your internet bandwidth, the latency between your computer and the servers, and any data loss. Google says they require a streaming rate of 15Mbps, latency below 40ms, and data loss below 5%.
If your internet speed passes this check - you're good to go.

Currently, they are promoting their "Founders Edition" bundle for pre-order till November - when they then go live.
You get a limited edition Blue controller, 3 months of the Pro tier subscription a Chromecast Ultra and a buddy pass. for under $170 CDN
The claim is you can play games up to 60 fps, in 4k, HDR.... of course, all dependant on your internet connection.

The pro tier of the service also hooks you up with a couple of free games a month, similar to Xbox's Live subscription service.
However, with xbox you're lucky to get a decent game every 6 months or so.

I'm curious to see how this all plays out.

My main attraction point is the Zero download to play.
It would be nice to load up that first-day release and not have to wait sometimes over an hour, for the game to download off the disc.

However, currently there are only 31 titles to choose from at launch - of course, this may go up by November.
But if there isn't at least 3-4 quality AAA games you want at launch, why would you drop $160.00 snaps to play those retro releases Xbox is becoming famous for.
Out of the 31 games at launch, a couple stood out - Baldurs gate 3 and Ghost Recon - Breakpoint.

I think a priority for Google is to at least triple the current amount of available games in their library.
Bring it up to 90 - 100 games at launch, across varying genres, so there are options for everyone.

Another interesting tidbit from them is that they plan to allow the streaming of their games across all many different platforms.
Tv, Computer, Laptop, Tablet, even the Pixel phone.

This is new and different.
So, of course, people are going to have their doubts - myself included.
If your streaming 4K games all damn day and night, how is that going to affect your ISP's usage?
Am I going to get an enormous ISP bill?
65 hours of 4K gaming @ 60fps will use up 1TB of data, so how is that going to work?
Heres an interesting article
Stadia usage

It breaks it all down for us, but the brass of it explains
That it takes 15.75GB of data for every hour of 4K streaming.
That’s 378GB a day;
2,646GB a week
2.6 TB for 1 weeks worth of gaming.

What are your thoughts folks?

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Considering it's GOOGLE? That subscription cost could include a high class call girl visit once a month and I would still RUN AWAY!

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Edit, I'm an idiot and went on and on about something you covered already.

I think you're right, people are going to meet push back from ISP's.

This is one of the big reasons 4K hasn't taken off to the point of being the "new standard"... Most of it has to be streaming, and that can put people over data caps quick.
edit on 7-6-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   

It breaks it all down for us, but the brass of it explains 
That it takes 15.75GB of data for every hour of 4K streaming. 
That’s 378GB a day; 
2,646GB a week 
2.6 TB for 1 weeks worth of gaming. 

Are you going to be playing 24 hours a day seven days a week? I like gaming but...

I think I'll wait on this, it would be cool if they included an option to add on a video streaming service..

edit on 7-6-2019 by 4891morfih because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I'm honestly still scratching my head trying to figure out why physical copies of games died out and now people download games and complain about how slow it is when they could drive 2 minutes and buy a copy and be done.

I also don't quite get the whole online gaming thing. I don't ever remember playing a single player game and thinking it wasn't good enough. It also weirds me out to think about playing a game and having some a-hole teenager from Idaho screeching in the background.
edit on 7-6-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

im the same way.
I refuse to buy digital download games unless it is the only medium the game is available - Elite Dangerous for example.
The game cost $25.00 and is the most epic, beautiful and humbling video game I've ever played.
But the majority of the junk out there - isn't even worth the download time.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

And aren't the pushing it !

I'm 100% percent against it , it's just more corporateization of video games , I like my games on my hard drive.

Add tho that ... who trusts Google ?

top topics

join