It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel wants full EU membership

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 08:06 AM
link   
BRUSSELS: Tel Aviv has sent several signals to the European Union conveying that Israel wants full EU membership.

Israeli government has officially told the EU that Israel is expediting its endeavours to resolve all its outstanding disputes with its neighbouring states which is a pre-requisite under the EU rules for acceptance of any country's candidature, a reliable source in Brussels told the News.

The European Union is faced with a new dilemma of handling the fresh diplomatic initiative by Israel seeking a full EU membership with the support of the current EU presidency, while other major EU member states remain divided on the issue.

Rest of the article:

jang.com.pk...

Don�t u think is a litlle bit weird??

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I think it makes perfect sense. If they can actually achieve peace with the Palestinians, Israel would be a powerful addition to the EU.

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I Think that allowing a country who orders snipers to kill innocent men women and children into the EU would be a disgrace.

anyway, isnt israel closer to the US (as in the 1st of 52 states)

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fry2
I think it makes perfect sense. If they can actually achieve peace with the Palestinians, Israel would be a powerful addition to the EU.

Well what do u mean with it makes sense?
If a nation wants power it just needs to get united with other nations, is that simple, israel doesn�t need power, that�s why i ask the people if they don�t think that this is a bit TOO WEIRD???

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 09:27 AM
link   
maybe they're at ends with the US and are giving them the boot? I dont understand why they would want more power, they already have control over the US. It definitely sounds really fishy.

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 09:28 AM
link   
CA, can't be no more insane than both the Russian's and Chinese working on joint military projects with Israel eh?

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Cold, do you know what would happen if the United States and our Allies turned away from Israel? There would be a slaughter like one which has seldom graced the face of this earth. The Muslims would sweep down from Syria, Iran, Saudi, from every country in the mid-east and crush Israel, and butcher its people. Before Israel would fall, they would launch nukes in every direction in the mideast. Plain and simple. Although i'm no supporter of Israel or any mid-eastern country having a place in the EUROPEAN Union, that doesn't mean we should let something like this happen. So when people blame Israel for the world's problems, they may need to take a look at the surrounding countries.

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grommer
maybe they're at ends with the US and are giving them the boot? I dont understand why they would want more power, they already have control over the US. It definitely sounds really fishy.

The stuff is that i keep on thinking "why" and is just not possible to get a pattern for it, i just don�t get this kind of action just now...

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I don't think the EU would go for it. Israel has too much baggage with it. I'm for it though if it means America won't be spending as much money as it presently does propping up Israel.

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Very shrewd of them to try this avenue. I am uneduated in the formal set up of the EU but I assume that if they do become a part and are then attacked by the Palestinians (or the Sryians for that matter, or even the Iranians since they now have a long range missle) that the EU would have to help them. Does the EU have a NATO like setup where if one is attacked it is considered an attack on all?

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 11:20 AM
link   
You know I do not believe the EU has a mutual protection pact built into it. Any Europeans care to answer? Then again I also believe NATO has no teeth right now since Turkey said if America was attacked, they would not defend America. Greece, feel free to invade Turkey...

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freddie
Greece, feel free to invade Turkey...

Lord, I know ALOT of Greeks (married to one actually), don't tempt them!

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 12:21 PM
link   
That should be an interesting situation, militarily and politically speaking

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 12:30 PM
link   
EU= Club Med.

EU is like a men's bathroom, for example, things are fine till one farts.......then its "every man for himself", so to speak.

Seriously, EU, I think has a 'minimal' defence pact but "push come to shove" and I think it deflates to 'mutual interests.'

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 8-7-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Its the end of the world as we know it

Idoubt this will happen though there is a large muslim population in teh EU and if it did accept isreal i dont think they could deal with it. Plus that means teh EU president would have isreal by the balls adn i dont think Sharron would have that

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Israel joining the EU ? It's a joke, isn't it ?

In the " European Union " words, there is the " European " word. I don't remember that I've seen on a map that Israel was an European nation.

The same thing for Turkey.

Turkey and Israel don't have to be allowed to join the EU. Otherwise, we'll have to find another name for the Union. Why not the Worlwide European Union ? Or also, the NWO ?

Not an european nation ? Ok, you stay outside from the Union. You are an european nation ? Ok, you can ( MAY BE !!! ) join us

Anyway, I don't care about the Union. The Union can go burn in Hell.

[Edited on 8-7-2003 by ultra_phoenix]

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I would just like to see a link from a news agency not in pakistan that has credible evidence about Israel wanting to join the european union, because it honestly doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me. They're not in europe.

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 01:47 PM
link   
well according to the United States Postal Service Israel IS part of europe (International rate zone 3) Yet Syria, Iran, Iraq, Jordan and the rest are in zone 8.
Maybe the Postal Service knows something we don't?

Just an observation since I'm in the business

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fry2

Maybe the Postal Service knows something we don't?

Ask to The Postal Dude. May be he know something.

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   
It does seem odd on the face of it since we cover them. Maybe they want the business end the EU can provide?

Hey U_P, why are you against the EU by the way?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join