It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UFO Phenomenon From the Perspective of a Scientist.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   
So let's say you're a scientist and you witness something like in the video below (which may or not be authentic, but I think it's good footage with no trickery) of something unidentified:

www.liveleak.com...

What questions would a scientist be thinking:

Now, there are some great lectures on the subject all over YouTube, from great researchers such as Tim Good and more recently over the last few years, Richard Dolan, but these guys aren't scientists, and while their research is excellent, they don't think in the way a scientist does. Additionally, something else I've noticed, some researchers completely destroy all their own efforts by coming across as crazy through not controlling their own ideas on the subject.

Step forward, the rational and scientific view point of Richard F Haines:

Richard F. Haines was born and raised in Seattle, Washington, and attended the University of Washing ton (College of Engineering) and Pacific Lutheran College (Tacoma) where he received the B.A. degree in 1960. He was awarded the M.A. and Ph.D. from Michigan State University (East Lansing) in 1962 and 1964, respectively, in the field of Experimental Psychology.

After working at NASA-Ames from 1967 - 1986 as a research scientist in numerous astronautical (Gemini, Apollo, Skylab, Space Station) and aeronautical (e.g., Mgr. of the Joint FAA/NASA Head-up Display Program, landing simulation research) projects, he was appointed Chief of the Space Human Factors Office at NASA-Ames (1986-1988) where he directed research and development efforts of the AX-5 "hard" EVA space suit, habitability design research for Space Station Freedom, and spacecraft window design.

He retired from government service in 1988 and taught at San Jose State University as an Associate Professor of Psychology while working part time as a scientist in the Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science. From 1990-1991 he has provided consulting services to NASA in various laboratory activities related to supersonic wind tunnel automation redesign and Space Station Freedom - to - ground bandwidth image transmission reduction.

His interest in UFO phenomena spans over 20 years with special interests in sightings by pilots, analysis of photographic evidence, and data on Close Encounters of the Fourth Kind. He claims that, "these three areas contain the type of data that will bring us to a successful discovery of the core nature of the phenomena.

The perspective he provides on the phenomenon is somewhat unique and yet probably the most rational of anyone on the subject from a scientific point of view. In the interview below, in which I can't recommend enough, the main points discussed, including a very pertinent question, do some UFOs display signs of intelligence:

1. Multiple sightings, formation changes etc.
  2. UFO reaction when communication is attempted
  3. Any similarities between UFO sighting descriptions and universal characteristics in nature
  4. Electro-magnetic effects, with emphasis on aircraft

This interview is from 1999 and interestingly something called C.C.C is discussed, this refers to Cosmic Conscious Conditioning, which is in obvious reference to preparing people for the somewhat hopeful revelation imo, that we are indeed being visited by aliens. If signs of this have been apparent since 1999, then I've missed them, even despite the recent articles by the New York Times and Washington Post on the subject of UFOs, or UAPs.

Anyway, this interview is definitely worth viewing:

I'm sure to the seasoned UFO folks on here, they've probably seen the above interview before, but for any new folks who may just be getting into the subject more recently, the lectures below are essential viewing imo (if you haven't seen them), and if nothing else just to get an idea of how far the cover up goes:

edit on -180002019-05-29T12:35:04-05:000000000431201904052019Wed, 29 May 2019 12:35:04 -0500 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Richard F. Haines , one of the good guys.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Richard F. Haines , one of the good guys.

Indeed, if only more scientists hadn't stayed hidden behind their logical, total denial of witness statement and radar data, viewpoints, maybe Ufology wouldn't have been frozen in time for the last few decades

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Even if the UFO were alien in nature, the odds of it ever getting released to the public is extremely low. I think at least some of the sightings were actually secret US planes or drones being tested. The scary part of UFO actually being alien is that I can't believe they'd be friendly to humanity, especially given our history.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Former US defense official: We know UFOs are real - here's why that's concerning

"We know that UFOs exist. This is no longer an issue," he said. "The issue is why are they here? Where are they coming from and what is the technology behind these devices that we are observing?"

www.foxnews.com...

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I'm a mad scientist, and in my opinion-and I will sound ad nauseum but the U in UFO is Unidentified. If I see a drone in the air I don't think that skynet is taking over.

Most of ufology is speculation and theories.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: danbuter

You forgot to take into account their own history, for if they can come here they would have had to surpass us on so many levels... On all levels in actuality so if ever they were a warning race or destructive on my level that would have all had to change to squire the ability to traverse both space and time...
And what’s more because they are alien... why would you ever even suppose to judge them based on anything attributed to humanity?
This is a mistake made all too often...
When we stop doing great harm to each other and truly desire a better way as a collective...
help will come it will be given freely and it will be good

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: 5StarOracle

Your post is self contradictory.

"They would have to have surpassed us..."

"They are alien why judge them on human attributes..."

Think about that for a moment.

You are making an assumption based on our civilization. That they would have to have surpassed us.

That's not necessarily true.

There are scenarios where that would not be the case, even if they had advanced technology.

What if they were less advanced than us, then found abandoned advanced technology?

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I think social scientists are more suited to study the UFO phenomenon, because they're used to doing case studies rather than gathering a bunch of data and doing statistical analyses. The non-repeatability has always been problematic for most scientists, but there is a good opportunity to develop some reasonably decent paradigms by doing in-depth case studies.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

Aside from a couple of words my phone decided to change on its own I see no contradiction in my statements...
I could supply you with artifacts so far advanced that in a multitude of generations you and all your progeny would be able to do little more than stare at them in wonder... Because these artifacts are not made by or meant to be used by humans and are an extension of the beings who actually created them for their own use alone...
If we want to play the supposing game I suppose I have just one up’ed you...

Now if you would have suggested a lesser advanced race of beings being gifted vastly superior technology that they would have to be worthy recipients of that they could use to learn from thus advancing their own understanding and abilities... I would say this supposition it plausible...

However once they gleaned the knowledge of said technology and were capable of using it to come here...
Well I would have to ask you if you actually believe they are then still inferior to us?

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Let me chime in with the skeptical side of things.

In my opinion, that liveleak video was a drone of some sorts with an LED attached. It never appeared to fly behind the clouds, meaning it was low enough in the atmosphere to be under 1000 feet or so, give or take.

The simplest solution to most "UFO" phenomenons are that there are about 5 billion cell phones with cameras on this planet. We take videos of people committing atrocious acts all the time and it gets posted on Liveleak, in high definition. But we can't get one clear video with absolute certainty?

I remain highly skeptical, and believe that the entire thing is a psy-op made to distract us from their real technologies and advancements. (of which all are man-made)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: havok

In my opinion, that liveleak video was a drone of some sorts with an LED attached. It never appeared to fly behind the clouds, meaning it was low enough in the atmosphere to be under 1000 feet or so, give or take.

Thanks for the opinion, and the video was just an example, It could be a drone, however it's still a UFO without a formal identification.

The simplest solution to most "UFO" phenomenons are that there are about 5 billion cell phones with cameras on this planet. We take videos of people committing atrocious acts all the time and it gets posted on Liveleak, in high definition. But we can't get one clear video with absolute certainty?

This could fall under psychology, there are strange videos out there, but what does "absolute certainty" actually mean to you? Certainty of what? Intelligence? Perhaps you've already seen video footage of some intelligent type UFO and discounted it because you consider it to be faked in some way when in actual fact, it was genuine footage. See the point?

I remain highly skeptical, and believe that the entire thing is a psy-op made to distract us from their real technologies and advancements. (of which all are man-made)

Well obviously with the rumours of black budget aircraft and the length of time that the UFO topic has existed, it would have to be the largest psy-op in history, extending over countries at war from at least WW2 onwards (possibly even longer), and not that successful either due to the rumours and statements that have persisted, globally.

Would also say, and you've probably heard this ad infinitum, but all those thousands of UFO reports from pilots and professionals over the years, jeopardizing their own careers through making official reports, what's that all about if you believe the whole thing to be a psy-op? Are those people victims to it, or part of it?

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: 5StarOracle

Because neither one of us can back our ideas with a tangible data sample.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Great thread premise mate and there are a great many examples of statements out there about the anomalous nature of UFOs by scientists if a person chooses to do the research.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: karl 12
Great thread premise mate and there are a great many examples of statements out there about the anomalous nature of UFOs by scientists if a person chooses to do the research.

Post away mate. Obviously, there was James E McDonald, and he should certainly be given credit for his stance

edit on -180002019-05-30T15:20:49-05:000000004931201949052019Thu, 30 May 2019 15:20:49 -0500 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   
1968 lecture: UFOs: A Case Study in Public Mis-information, very much worth a listen:

edit on -180002019-05-31T15:12:36-05:000000003631201936052019Fri, 31 May 2019 15:12:36 -0500 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Most of ufology is speculation and theories.

Bit like the Higgs Boson then, which certainly didn't stop mainstream science spending millions looking for it.

Or gravity even, in fact all science kind of starts that way.

Just needs a mad scientist to turn a theory into a fact.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Yup.

There are only two approaches to understanding anything: the rational and irrational.'

The rational postulate an explanation for an unknown and then work like hell to falsify (prove it WRONG).

The irrational approach is to make up a wild explanation re an unknown and then cherry pick to "prove" it's "right."

These are not equal, competing philosophies. One is how all progress is made and the other is dogs freaking out at thunderstorms.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
Thanks for the opinion, and the video was just an example, It could be a drone, however it's still a UFO without a formal identification.

I agree. Unidentified.

This could fall under psychology, there are strange videos out there, but what does "absolute certainty" actually mean to you? Certainty of what? Intelligence? Perhaps you've already seen video footage of some intelligent type UFO and discounted it because you consider it to be faked in some way when in actual fact, it was genuine footage. See the point?

Certainty that there were more than a few "witnesses". Meaning, masses of people video'd the same UFO. Substantial proof.

Well obviously with the rumours of black budget aircraft and the length of time that the UFO topic has existed, it would have to be the largest psy-op in history, extending over countries at war from at least WW2 onwards (possibly even longer), and not that successful either due to the rumours and statements that have persisted, globally.

Would also say, and you've probably heard this ad infinitum, but all those thousands of UFO reports from pilots and professionals over the years, jeopardizing their own careers through making official reports, what's that all about if you believe the whole thing to be a psy-op? Are those people victims to it, or part of it?

I believe, like most things the gov't releases, that there is always more than meets the eye. I've witnessed strange events in the sky, but after research I determined them to be highly explainable. Sometimes we are looking for confirmation bias, and Youtube can be an excellent source for that. One opinion is that the gov't has had drone technology for decades before the civilian sector had it, and they have been using/testing it for the same amount of time. Civilians were never privy to this information, and the gov't dark ops needed phrasing and programming to steer prying eyes away from anything that could breach national security. Especially during the Cold War. So they used what they could. "UFO" sightings.

Either way these are just my opinions. I like the subject and appreciate everyones views.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
1968 lecture: UFOs: A Case Study in Public Mis-information, very much worth a listen:

I enjoyed that one mate -very good call, other scientist's quotes listed here but Dr James E McDonald was probably the most important one to objectively study the evidence in the field of atmospherical Physics- historian Richard Dolan's vid below does a good job describing how he tried to tell the truth about it.

Thread

top topics

join