It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More with Less...Where's the Breaking Point?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 17 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   
You know, it occurred to me the other day the World kind of sucks anymore. I started exploring this thought a little bit.

To put this into perspective, I'll use an example from my own life. I've worked in the same job, at the same company, for 27 years. I loved what I do from the first day, and still love it (sort of) today. Twenty years ago no one could believe the things my teams could accomplish. We were proud of what we did, and the company was proud of what we did. And we were compensated well for what we did. I would always chuckle at annual reviews; everyone else would be talking about climbing the "corporate ladder", and I knew then that "corporate" was the last place I wanted to be. I was happy where the rubber meets the road, that's where the excitement was.

Over time though, things changed, the world around us changed. Things which were once welcomed and appreciated as above and beyond the call have now become expected. Corporate raises the bar every year, forcing everyone to do more with less. Ironically though, this post isn't about me. It's not about me at all really. I only cite these examples as a means to put this post into context.

I have this saying..."You've asked us to do so much, with so little, for so long; now you expect us to do everything, with nothing at all, in no time flat."

It doesn't matter what business sector you look at. It doesn't matter what I do. It's everywhere. It used to be about shaving a few dollars, then a few dimes, and now it's shaving a few fractions of a cent...but it never ends. Both ends of the proverbial 'rope' are being pushed towards the middle. Faster, better, cheaper...you hear it everywhere.

Just a few inches off the seat in front of you on the plane (to fit more people)
Just a few inches off the cube you sit in (to fit more people)
Just a few extra dollars of co-pay on your insurance
Just a few extra cents in taxes
Just little lower starting salary
Just a part time position to save on insurance premiums
Just a little less material in the car to save weight
Just a little less local content
Just a little less quality in everything you touch
Just a little less...

All those "just a little"s add up after a while.

I got to thinking, where's the breaking point? Where's the point where people open up their windows and shout "I'm sick of this S#, and I'm not gonna' take it anymore!!"?

You see, I have two problems. The same two problems I've always had:
1. I believed, and
2. I care

Now on the one hand, I could just say "screw it!". I've got 5-10 years left, and after that it's ... "Hasta LaVista, Baby!" But the problem is...I believe, and I care (see items #1 and #2). So, on the other hand, I can't just walk away.

And, I can't help but think I somehow contributed to all of this through all my hard work, my believing and my caring. Therefore, I feel I have a responsibility to help future generations out of this downward death spiral.

How long will it be before we are expected to do...everything, with nothing at all, in no time flat?

edit on 5/17/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It's not just the workplace.

If I got rid of every cell phone I pay for, if I got rid of every computer, the fees for the internet, the Dish bill for the televisions, got rid of all the tv's except for one in the living room, got rid of Sirus XM fees, tossed out the Keurig . . .

I'd save almost 1,000 a month.

Our idea of "the basics" has changed.

We used to live "more" with less.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
It's Friday you two, just starting drinking early, we'd could run this site by 1PM.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I don't disagree with your general premise. However, one could argue the "more" we have today is "less" than we had in the past. The quantity might be more, but the quality is far less. I guess the same argument could be made for life.

For my part though, I don't "need" more than I did 40 years ago. I might have more, but I don't "need" it. But what I do "need" is far less in quality than what it was 40 years ago.

Take a wood stud for example. It's called a "2x4", but it's been a very long time since they've actually measured 2" by 4". For a long while they were 3-5/8" x 1-3/4". Now, they're 3-1/2"x1-1/2".

I was in a hotel the other day...3/8" gyp board on 3-1/2" studs. I could hear every word the people in the next room were saying. The floors weren't concrete, heck, they weren't even wood! They were 1/2" OSB wafer-board, not on 2x12 joists, but rather OSB laminated wafer-board joists which measured about 2x7-1/2" (with a web dimension of about 1") (part of the hotel was still under construction so I actually went and measured).

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I came up with a motto for the company I worked for 20 years ago.

"Doing more with nothing in no time whatsoever"

It all comes down to everyone wanting their cut until there's nothing left to cut.

One thing I've told people before is when the company you work for sends out a memo about the not wasting pens and pencils it's time to get your resume in order.
I literally had a big wig pick up a 15 cent electrical connector off the floor and ask me "do you know how much money this cost us?"

My response you ask?

"Probably less than the time I'm wasting talking to you about a 15 cent electrical connector."

Wasnt 6 months until the doors were closed.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Just shave an .oz off the bag of chips
Just cut the gasoline with a bit more ethanol (note - I could do a whole rant on just this!)
Just add a little more corn syrup to the (insert product)
Just add a little more poly-unsaturated x into y

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Or worse, when two giant companies merge so the board and stockholders can take the profits by cutting out the duplication.

Who needs two payroll departments, two HR departments, two marketing divisions, etc. Right?

Cha-CHING!!

...and everyone is left to pick up the pieces and continue operating like nothing happened.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   
At least on ATS sometimes you get a free...double post!

LOL!

There might not be a free lunch, but there are definitely free posts!

edit on 5/17/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

While you're right that we have additional "basics" now....

The real basics are more expensive, and often times lesser in quality or value now.

By all metrics, the US economy has risen, productivity increased... Purchasing power of the average citizen remains the same.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   

It's Friday you two, just starting drinking early, we'd could run this site by 1PM.

I think it's of vital importance to remember this one thing. It's paramount to success.

You cannot drink all day, unless you start in the morning.

Words to live by, and take heed.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

In a thread about how money doesn't go as far, and (tangent) drinking all day....

I think it's important to point out one can save a bunch of money by boofing it.

I'll see myself out.
edit on 17-5-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
It is a race to the bottom....

Companies are in constant competition and consumers don't understand value anymore... everything is being commoditized to the point that price is the only thing that matters.

As a result of the focus on low costs, all companies can do is increase productivity and cut cost/corners.

It is really sad because it creates this circle of destruction that is hard to break. Consumers want low prices and companies want to cut costs.... companies cut costs by paying their employees less and those same employees then demand lower costs when they are shopping.

It is really frustrating. I see it everyday. Like the OP, I always put 110% into my work to provide the best service to my clients. I always put their interest ahead of mine. However, the reality is that 99% of the people I deal with simply don't value it.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
I think it's of vital importance to remember this one thing. It's paramount to success.

You cannot drink all day, unless you start in the morning.

Words to live by, and take heed.

That should be inscribed on our currency.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It's not just the workplace.

If I got rid of every cell phone I pay for, if I got rid of every computer, the fees for the internet, the Dish bill for the televisions, got rid of all the tv's except for one in the living room, got rid of Sirus XM fees, tossed out the Keurig . . .

I'd save almost 1,000 a month.

We used to live "more" with less.

You're so right. When I was a kid I had a car, a $20 tent, a couple of fishing rods and tackle, a canoe, a few bucks just in case and a whole summer to camp and fish. Total cost for 2 months in Algonquin or Haliburton, maybe $50. No cell phones, no crazy bitches or feminazis, no politics, no gps, no crap. Just catching and eating fish every day with my veggies (go into town once a week).

Life was better back then.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

One thing that annoys me, is stop doing things,

-Because what if everyone else did this too-

(SNIP) everyone else, since when it`s my fault that we swarm like locusts.

Uuugh aagh stop breathing because the air is becoming a rarity and it needs to go a long way, mentality.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   
23 years in the AF.....it started as do more with less and became do it all with nothing. My LinkedIn in profile states" I have done more with less for so long that I can now do anything with nothing.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   

When oil shot up to $140/barrel my local cost for a large plain pizza when from $8 to $13. My salary did not match the increase in prices! The price of oil has dropped but not the pricing of everything that shot up!!!

In NJ, a theater ticket costs $18 double the national average. I think the problem we have in this country is CEOs use data analytics technologies for evil purposes. It used to be companies provided products and services in order to "serve" people. Now everything is done to maximize return to shareholders at the expense of every other consideration. The system no longer "serves" the people, people are now slaves to the system.

There's no where a worker can move to in this country where the data analytics price fixing ensures everyone is broke and a worker can never get out of debt.

edit on 17-5-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
There's no where a worker can move to in this country where the data analytics price fixing ensures everyone is broke and a worker can never get out of debt.

Pretty sure a bunch of us in this thread aren't broke.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Pretty sure a bunch of us in this thread aren't broke.

Good for you. I'm glad you are doing so well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join