It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More with Less...Where's the Breaking Point?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: icanteven

This is an excellent synopsis!

And, you are exactly right.

I could walk you through almost an identical story from my own personal experience! Oh, and the HP purchase of Compaq? Well, I already covered this on page 1. The greed machine runs out of meat so the only solution left is to buy up another mammoth company consolidate the overlap, take the profits and run.

Incidentally, this is how the hedge funds roll, this is their turf. What's left is a crippled giant with nothing left to sell which nobody wants. The whole truly is less than the sum of the parts. But they don't care; they got their money and they're down the road.

Watched it happen with my own two eyes.

And it still doesn't end...

Business all go through cycles... especially big business to the point that the business eventually collapses under it's own weight.

Every company starts off small... experiences rapid growth and innovation. Eventually they plateau and the managers get lazy. Ultimately, a new entrant comes in to the market that isn't hampered by the legacy systems, markets, and investments.... the older business isn't able to change fast enough. The start engaging in useless diversification, mergers, etc. Eventually, they collapse or remain a shell of what it once was.

The grave yard of business is littered with those examples....

IMHO, the best companies are those that can remain private but still manage controlled growth without having to focus on short term earnings. Think companies like Chick Fil A. Some service companies like biglaw firms, consultancies, boutique investment banks, manufacturers....

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I feel your pain. no.......really, I've been there and moved on. You unconsciously told a real truth without realizing it. You said:"1. I believed,".

I would guess the truth is that you no longer truly believe. You see the handwriting on the wall; the Corporates are no longer focused on longevity of the business nor the business model; they don't care about the customers, or the employees. They only care about maximizing the bottom line to rake in as much as possible before it all goes "poof". They're capturing as much as possible in the shortest possible time because they know a truth. That truth is that sooner than later, the music is going to stop and only those with the golden parachute will survive.

The problem is summed up in a book "Who Moved my Cheese". www.amazon.com...

Change Happens They Keep Moving The Cheese
Anticipate Change Get Ready For The Cheese To Move
Monitor Change Smell The Cheese Often So You Know When It Is Getting Old
Adapt To Change Quickly The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese
Change Move With The Cheese
Enjoy Change! Savor The Adventure And Enjoy The Taste Of New Cheese!
Be Ready To Change Quickly And Enjoy It Again They Keep Moving The Cheese.

Now get ready for no Cheese at all because the Corporates have entirely hollowed out the machine that made the cheese.

Put another way..............you believed in the wrong thing.

Solution? Face the fact that you believed in the wrong thing; stock up as much cheese as you possibly can and get out while the gettings still good!

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

They're capturing as much as possible in the shortest possible time because they know a truth. That truth is that sooner than later, the music is going to stop and only those with the golden parachute will survive.

Hoo boy, have you hit it on the head here or what. Corporate has hidden behind the false scapegoat of ''it's all government's fault'' for a long time because to many have been unwilling to question the sanctity of the capitalist concept. A serious critique of the weaknesses of capitalism have pointed to the inevitability of the outcomes we here are now complaining about. For those of us who took those critiques seriously it is not surprising that a corporate raider has been elected president with the simple lie that he can make our ouchies all better again.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Twenty five years ago and before, the working man had it lots better. You could live working one job with a family. Not anymore, now the water and sewer bills have gone up four fold, taxes have risen along with property values, but in essense, the houses are not really worth much more. What happened to the American dream? The rat race took right over.

posted on May, 17 2019 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I think you would benefit from joining the folks who practice Minimalism and focus on purchasing and maintaining "Buy it for Life" high quality items.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Just shave an .oz off the bag of chips

That is SO true! 5 years ago when I typed up my recipe for homemade Chex Mix, it called for a 9 3/4 oz. bag of Fritos Honey Barbecue Twists. I noticed this past Christmas of 2018, the bags were now 9 1/4 oz. Where does it end? If this keeps up, eventually we'll be paying them for zero ounces.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Here's another example I don't think anybody is aware of. Last year, I had to buy a new queen-sized mattress because the one I'd had for 19 was worn out. (I probably should have replaced it a lot sooner.) When I placed the new queen-sized mattress on my old box springs that was still in great condition, I noticed the mattress was now two inches shorter than the old one had been. Exactly what is the size of a queen-sized mattress and how do they keep getting away with shrinking the defined size to a smaller and smaller length?

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Well if you go sit and listen to 'the call' and you hear sharkholders ask why did you not made the fun company earn more than last quarter then you will understand why you get less by paying more

In short, no dummy wants to be the one to explain why, so cuts are in the table if you know you won't make the expected earnings of this quarter

You shalt not earn less or equal as you did on the previous quarter, quality be damned! - Word of the capitalism Gods!

You will open all windows and shout away, but nothing will stop it, you are trapped inside this crappy world

Your generation SELFISHLY consumed so much that it left little for us, so now we have to deal with your crap and complaining, while still trying to figure out how to do a good living for us and the next generations

Learn to love it, there's nothing else thanks to you all anyways

You have 5~10 years left and you are complaining?

The f*ck ups of your generation leave me with 40-50 years of suffering through madness because of your self entitled 'me me me' mess

Get your last sh*t together and own up what you need to own up man, and go silent and enjoy your beautiful creation

edit on 18-5-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Seriously it messes me up having to read old people complain

Stop complainig! You were in charge of the world, you failed!

Don't complain, learn how you failed and teach your kids how not to be like you so they get a chance to fix your mess. And don't hide it out of pride!

Just stop the complaining, you got what you deserved, live with it

And you call us 'gen z' and 'snowflakes', so much irony

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Malisa
old people complain

Well, as we all know and history has made it quite clear, young people are always wiser than old people who have had time to learn wisdom. And young people are always the first to confirm this.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind

originally posted by: Malisa
old people complain

Well, as we all know and history has made it quite clear, young people are always wiser than old people who have had time to learn wisdom. And young people are always the first to confirm this.

Yes so much wisdom that they managed to destroy everthing good in the world

Let me give you a bit of actual wisdom

Getting older doesn't make you wise, if you were a fool as a kid, chances are you will be an old fool complaining about how your own mistakes affect you in your old age

Yes if there weren't wiser younger people we would still be living on caves

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Malisa

Thank you!

It's attitudes like yours which make me not feel so bad about just saying "Screw it!"

Your generation's contribution to society is what exactly????

LOL!

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
It's amazing how aspects of life that may superficially benefit the consumer hogs are able to be calculated down to the smallest of fractions, yet the very same generation is looking for elementary reasoning for what the apples that fell from the consumption trees are going to do about it.

It's okay that baby boomers were swindled into believing that diamonds are forever, since it was their parents that fell victim to advertising engines to begin with. What's not okay, is baby boomers expecting their children to know and have the answers to correct the actions of all generations before them with no help. It's almost like baby boomers don't even want their offspring to have a better life than they may have had... which will clearly have to get rougher before it gets smoother.

The stuff and goods baby boomers bought and continue to buy are not goods... they're bads. Sure, let us get to the bottom of these missing 1/4 oz.'s that will only fill the latest most comfy version of depends undergarments.

Saying screw it is the easy way out. Expecting future generations to have the full on answer for the faults and decisions of current and past generations is not only cop out, it's proof that baby boomers aren't likely capable of practicing and trading more selflessness for their own selfishness.

Perhaps the search for a broken point rather than a breaking point would add value where it has been found to be missing?

edit on 18-5-2019 by ttobban because: ?

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I just bought a bottle of Belgian Trappist beer....$24. Does that make me a 1%er? It is 11%, but I have been drinking since the AM. This one may do me in.

22 Proof is called Wine by the Feds.

A good beer is 6%, 'officially'.

I would stick to the beer they want to call Wine over the >6%.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Thank you!

It's attitudes like yours which make me not feel so bad about just saying "Screw it!"

Your generation's contribution to society is what exactly????

LOL!

Well since i haven't finished college yet i don't know how i will contribute yet or in what ways

Your statement is so dumb, i didn't even get a chance yet and you already judged me LFMAO!

My generation's contribution will figure out how to stay alive after your mess, and fogure out how to leave something for the generation after mine

You opinion is irrelevant at this time, just sit down and let us figure out a way out of your mess, since you clearly haven't changed and still feel self entitled for some reason

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

LUV U!!!

LOL!!!

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   

oof, was worried there for a moment

Anyways spoky noky and all that, bye

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 03:50 AM
link   

LOL!

LOL - that phrase is one of their biggest contributions so far. Quite helpful, isn't it?

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind

LOL!

LOL - that phrase is one of their biggest contributions so far. Quite helpful, isn't it?

Can i ask, who would be "they"?

My mom was born in 1978, i was born in 1995. LOL was a word used way back in the end of the 70's/beginning of the 80's, when my mom was in diapers... LOL!

So i guess it falls back to whatever older generation produced the guy that said LOL for the first time. And yet here we are again trying to blame stupidity you created, on someone other than yourselves? LOL!

You see? This is why older generations look like fools that need to sit down and shut up, they don't even know what's going on but sure can assume dumb things, making themselves look foolish and ignorant

Oh well..

Spare me some wisdom.. back in 1978/79, what generation was leading the world? You see i forgot as i wasn't alive back then... LMFAO!

But here's something that's going to tripple twist your panties! Ask me how do i know when that word got invented...

edit on 19-5-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-5-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 05:41 AM
link   

As I noted previously, you really seem to have quite the chip on your shoulder. So let me ask you this, oh great successful one...

Do you live in your own home? Do you own that home? Or, are you just a keyboard commando from Mom's basement?

I bought my first home at 24 (approximately the same age you are now). And, seeing as how you think I have somehow single-handedly ruined society for all future generations, you do realize that purchase supported people's jobs and paid for people's families. Can you say the same? I hire people practically monthly for full-time, career grade, positions and actively seek out people from your generation. Can you say the same? Sadly though, many wind up quitting because they think these professional positions are beneath them and are unwilling to put in the time and effort required. They've been programmed with this sense of entitlement like nothing I've ever seen before. Instead, they gladly shop at places like Walmart (to save money), which further perpetuates the very thing I talk about in the OP. They gladly purchase some Chinese knock-off just because it says "Nike" (or something) on it, knowing full-well Nike probably didn't even license it let alone produce it. So how do you stack up here? Are you one of them?

For all your negative and caustic words, are you part of the solution, and if so, how? Or, are you part of problem?

I clearly stated at the end of my OP, I continue to try to help the younger generations not let this downward spiral continue, and that I do believe and I do care. Yet your only contribution is 'I chose the wrong thing to care about, and the wrong thing to believe in'. So do tell us, 'oh wise one'...what is it YOU believe in and what do YOU care about? And, how is it any different?

edit on 5/19/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join