It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biological Man Identifies as a Woman But Plays a Man as the First Transgender Lead in U.S. Opera

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   
This is just confusing ...

I did not put this in a place like the Mud Pit because this isn't meant to be a discussion on the relative merits of transgenderism as a whole.

I just don't understand how we do this. How do you take a man, let him identify as a woman, and then when s/he auditions for a male role in an opera, praise her for being the first woman to play a male role?

Although Lucas identifies as a woman, he plays a man, singing the baritone role of Don Giovanni.

And especially how do you get away with it when the role is a baritone?!

I mean this is a perfect example of biology. Lucas has this voice because of biological sex differences. The XY chromosomes gave her(?) that powerful baritone everyone is gushing over.

This case is illustrative — not just because it is a transgender "first." Lucas identifies as a woman, but he still has the male biology that led him through puberty and gave him a deep voice. This is a clear case of biology — from his X and Y chromosomes in every cell of his body to the hormones that led him to develop masculine features — winning out over transgender identity.

And how do you praise what is basically a man for playing a man? I know she identifies as a woman, but it's not like this is a stretch for her. She has the male voice thanks to her biology.

Oh, and the role she's playing is a womanizer.

Not only that, but praising this is forgetting Shakespearean times when all actors on stage were men, regardless of role.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Insanity is coming full circle. This is a prime example of why so many people bend a problem with the gender confused.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   
**Opens junk drawer**

**Digs around frantically**

AHH, here it is....

HONK HONK

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Is he also a lesbian?

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Just... wha?

~blink~

I think tomorrow I am going to work as a Golden Dragon.

If everyone else gets away with this sh!t I want my moment of insanity too.

~ROAR!!!~

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

In our enlightened age, I don't understand why some people still store live geese in their junk drawers.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock
I was not expecting that at all, I literally laughed out loud at that one!

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Spell sports backwards and you get your true answer.

by the way what would your answers be

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I thought about that right away too.

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Is he also a lesbian?

Now.... That made me laugh. Cause I'm a guy and I have an inner faux lesbian lol (munch munch, say no more)

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   

He / she should try playing the role of a sane person.

Now that would be impressive! 😉

posted on May, 7 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: 4891morfih

It's just crazy. It would be like Dustin Hoffman decided to play Dorothy Michaels and then auditioned to play Raymond Babbitt while in character as Dorothy and earned the part, so we laud him as the first woman to play a male lead in a movie.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 12:06 AM
link   

How many female roles has this "woman" ever played?
Yep, that's what I thought.
There's your sign...

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Nothing makes sense in this world. Sometimes I feel like I'm in some weird parallel universe.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: new_here

Probably as many as require a baritone singing voice.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
**Opens junk drawer**

**Digs around frantically**

AHH, here it is....

HONK HONK

I was born too late to explore the world...
I was born too early to explore the galaxy...
I was born just in time to *HONK*

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   
He...looka like a man...

edit on 8-5-2019 by Subsonic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This is the 21st century version of being a Castrato... that's all. Maybe Farinelli would have went back and forth had the options of conversion were available?

This debate is likely much similar to the one's in the days of ole... where people were blown away that some males removed or was forced to remove their testicles before puberty to retain desired pitches that would naturally change when one matured.

Perhaps conversion technologies made possible by science in this day and age seem a simpler option than full on removal of reproductive organs? Perhaps it's the likely legal ramifications of castrating a child? I am certainly not going to let another's level of confusion dictate my level of confusion... that's for sure.

I can't say that vocal equality standards cause any more confusion with me than the chameleon singer(s) experiences themselves. It's the dude that gave birth the other day that freaks me out...

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

so what - if i had tickets for the opera in question - i would be more concerend with talent than genitals

top topics

<<   2 >>

join