It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A look at the science behind climate change

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on May, 5 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I've never shied away from the fact that I am a man-made climate change skeptic.

As an engineer, I have to rely on data.

The science is only as good as the data.

I've stated numerous times that HOW we accumulate data is just as important as the data itself.

The efficacy of the measurement tools.
The consistency of the measurements.
Calibration of equipment.
Verification of calibrations.
Consistency of the types of equipment.

All these aspects play a part in the data accumulated.

Data that conclusions are based on.

Study sponsored by NOAA finds that poorly-sited air temperature monitoring stations have artificially boosted global warming data

www.americanthinker.com... ted_global_warming_data.html

Impacts of Small-Scale Urban Encroachment on Air Temperature Observations

journals.ametsoc.org...

Abstract
A field experiment was performed in Oak Ridge, TN, with four instrumented towers placed over grass at increasing distances (4, 30, 50, 124, and 300 m) from a built-up area. Stations were aligned in such a way to simulate the impact of small-scale encroachment on temperature observations. As expected, temperature observations were warmest for the site closest to the built environment with an average temperature difference of 0.31 and 0.24 °C for aspirated and unaspirated sensors respectively. Mean aspirated temperature differences were greater during the evening (0.47 °C) than day (0.16 °C). This was particularly true for evenings following greater daytime solar insolation (20+ MJDay−1) with surface winds from the direction of the built environment where mean differences exceeded 0.80 °C. The impact of the built environment on air temperature diminished with distance with a warm bias only detectable out to tower-B’ located 50 meters away.
The experimental findings were comparable to a known case of urban encroachment at a U. S. Climate Reference Network station in Kingston, RI. The experimental and operational results both lead to reductions in the diurnal temperature range of ~0.39 °C for fan aspirated sensors. Interestingly, the unaspirated sensor had a larger reduction in DTR of 0.48 °C. These results suggest that small-scale urban encroachment within 50 meters of a station can have important impacts on daily temperature extrema (maximum and minimum) with the magnitude of these differences dependent upon prevailing environmental conditions and sensing technology.

Bottom line, if you accumulate bad data, you'll get bad conclusions.

SCIENCE!

+3 more 
posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I have said that for years, also. A lot of offical temp sites are at airports...lots of asphalt and buildings.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I'm pretty sure all the gasoline we are burning everyday is causing a pollution problem.

+9 more 
posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015
Ofcourse it is, but thats not what is being discussed here. Temperature and pollution is two separate things.

+3 more 
posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I believe it is real.

I also believe it is exaggerated for political purposes and to implement a carbon credit scam which will do nothing to solve any problems.....

Except the problem of making the right people richer.

Carbon credits and carbon taxes are a scam to take wealth from the middle class and poor and transfer it to the "right" people.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I was fully expecting to see a completely blank OP.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: JesperA
a reply to: dfnj2015
Ofcourse it is, but thats not what is being discussed here. Temperature and pollution is two separate things.

There are "government has no role in society" people who just refuse to accept the reality of man-made global warming.

This is not rocket science. It's just Big Oil pumps the system with anti-propaganda people love to echo thinking its their own thoughts. The only way to defend yourself against the propaganda is to be aware of its existence.

Here is how I know Big Oil is destroying the quality of life for humanity. When I go fishing off the New Jersey coast there's a crazy thick heavy smog of soot all the way down the Parkway you can see offshore. It's big dark and looks extremely unhealthy. But profit is our religion. Everyone serves the system. The system does not serve humanity.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Science is used more to scam than it is used for truth. It is used by groups to gain profit, including profit to pay salaries and wages of scientists. You have to analyze the relativity of the research and look at the paramaters and reason the research was done to assess if the evidence is applied right.

The temperature at the neighbors house down at the bottom of the hill next to our house is cooler than it is at our house. Our temperature is way cooler than it is in town, the trees help to cool the air. Weather patterns are dependent on geological conditions, including forests, mountains, and bodies of water. Also energy flow in and out of the earth effects weather, that is created by currents in the crust and the point at which they come up to be transferred to the sky to balance energy in the earth. Disrupting the flow of the crust currents causes alterations in local weather patterns and also can stimulate small quakes. We are seeing local climate alterations based on these changes mixed in with the carbon related increases in our atmosphere.

The carbon focus on climate change is a joke, It is being used as a way to tax people, the tax funding going to the scientific community that is actually responsible for the increasing climate change we see because Science created all the major things that are causing this. Give the money to the people who caused the problem? Does that sound right? The way to fix this is not to increase technology, it is to go back and simplify things, stop all the buying of things we do not need and quit lying to people about increases of buying new energy efficient stuff saviing the world. A fridge that uses a little less power but only lasts seven years does not save the environment, recycling and reproduction costs outweigh any energy savings. Things should be made to last plus be energy efficient. I remember the fridges long ago, they hardly even ran at all and the electric meter moved way slower when it ran. The science figured a way to rate the fridges so they appear more efficient, they do not take the energy consumption of the defrost heater and extra cooling because of the heater into consideration. It is a lie, generated by science, to increase sales of products.

Stop the lying and destruction of the environment and the earth will start to do better.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I stopped believing when i learned Climate change models don't even factor for exhaled CO2 from living things.....

The reports claim, CO2 exhaled by living things is fundamentally carbon that is already part of symbiosis, and climate change is concerned with "new carbon" from inside the earth.

Plus, simple arithmetic shows humans simply exhaling amounts to half of the modeled CO2 baselines. The world's population has practically doubled in my lifetime, why wouldn't they even consider "actually human contribution"

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Be thankful we will not live long enough to see the end result.

Let us drink to the dead who don't survive, they will join us in good time.
edit on 5-5-2019 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The way science is supposed to be conducted is to eliminate personal bias, bigotry, prejudice, and superstition.

The problem is one side of the issue just refuses to believe in the science no matter what:

The 97% consensus on global warming

Listen to Greta's talk. She's very compelling. How can you possibly argue with her little girl logic:

edit on 5-5-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Yeah, they keep making big box stores and driving the local markets out of business. So you have to drive to the stores. Also, small factories were right in neighborhoods, like small clothing manufacturers, people walked to work in these small factories sewing cloths, now they said no more and moved them far away from the places people live. Stupidity created climate change, but stupidity is related to trying to boost economical figures, another words, they want to make a country look better by causing us to use more gas and electricity. You cannot run a small business out of your home in lots of places anymore, even five people working on a computer business has to be done in certain areas so everyone needs to travel to work. Five employees sitting in one big room need to be considered as a commercial experience, not allowed in a residential neighborhood.

+2 more 
posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   
S+F.

You won't get any rebuttals that deal with the actual data (data that isn't corrupt). Only Ad Hom's and Spin.

Same as usual.

Great Thread.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem
S+F.
You won't get any rebuttals that deal with the actual data (data that isn't corrupt). Only Ad Hom's and Spin.
Same as usual.
Great Thread.

I agree. When one side thinks their own opinions are facts and people who have opposing opinions are worthless human beings what is the point of having any discussion. Politics are waste of time. I agree, this thread is the same as usual worthless waste of time.

We live in a society where people are praying for mass extinction of the human race. We live in a World were everyone is disconnected to everyone else. We have no common interests. We have no commonwealth. We have no reason to collaborate with each other to make our quality of life better. Instead, we live in the age of selfishness is God and everyone is just taking as much as they can before the party comes to an end. Why make thinks better for your grandchildren with you can party hardy today? Screw the young. The old will dead soon. Do drugs.

Keep on burning 100 million barrels of oil per day. Who cares what kind of World we leave behind for the next generations. Screw em.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

The way science is supposed to be conducted is to eliminate personal bias, bigotry, prejudice, and superstition:

The problem is one side of the issue just refuses to believe in the science no matter what:

Listen to Greta's talk. She's very compelling. How can you possibly argue with her little girl logic:

A little girls opinion can be steered easily. Yes she has some good points, much of which will not be accomplished by the present climate agenda, it is a hoax, it is just steering money and creating science jobs or supporting the science industry.

I read more research than most of the people on this site, every single day I read research. I evaluate the research even when I am eating my dinner or down in the basement having a cigarette, or when I rake the yard. The way they are attacking the Global warming is a hoax, the most important thing is to quit poisoning the environment with all the unnatural or concentrated natural chemistry and to quit destroying the forests. Orchards do not replace the carbon grabbing effects forests do, neither do corn fields. Corn gas is not at all environmentally friendly, but is toted as environmentally friendly. Those pellet stoves are not environmentally friendly but are promoted as enviromentally friendly, a simple old fashioned kitchen woodstove is better because there is less processing of the wood and where the pellets come from is important, they strip the brush out of the logging areas and are overharvesting the land to make pellets.

Most things they use to promote green actually stimulate the economy, they want to sell more things. The real environmentalists are right, the climate change people are scam artists.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   

You are in the 3% then:

Are you a climate scientists? I'm just wondering where the authority of your credentials about speaking on the topic are coming from? Or are you just an amateur like me?

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The earth’s climate is always changing. However, the current warming cannot be explained by natural factors alone, so the finger is pointed at the activities of humanity, such as burning coal, oil and gas. By all measures, global temperatures have been rising for the last century, with a noticeable acceleration over the last three decades.

It’s good to have a healthy level of scepticism, by denying the impact of humanity on the climate is probably foolhardy with the evidence in hand.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I don't think the existence of climate change is at issue the question is the level of mans involvement in it , the climate has changed throughout global history.
If the threat of climate change means governments clean up the air that we breath and clean the seas that we treasure then isn't that a good thing ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join