It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D Holography Breakthrough (it's the math!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   

The answer is random phase approximation (RPA), and this is based on a handful of key ideas.

First, waves are considered “in phase” when their peaks and troughs line up. Waves that are not in phase interfere with each other, thus distorting the image.

Second, each part of a system oscillates at its own frequency, but all of these frequencies average out, creating a system-wide frequency.

Third, when the system-wide frequency of two systems are randomized, there is an extremely high likelihood that they’ll be orthogonal, meaning they’ll be in phase with each other.

The researchers were able to sufficiently randomize the phases of each plate, eliminating any cross-talk between them. Therefore, the light emitting from one plate did not interfere with the light from other plates, creating a crisp, detailed 3D image.

We demonstrate Fresnel holograms that form on-axis with full depth control without any cross-talk, producing large-volume, high-density, dynamic 3D projections with 1,000 image planes simultaneously,” they said in the paper.

Although it may still be a few years away, once this groundbreaking technique becomes commercially available, it will certainly be a turning point, similar to how x-rays revolutionized medicine.

singularityhub.com - Solving a Math Problem Just Brought Holograms Closer to Reality.

In order to really understand the topic and the solution, I am sorry, but you are going to have the read the entire article. Besides, the description on how regular 2D holograms are made is worth the effort (schooled me! But each time one of these "breakthrough" announcements comes out, it is like I am reading about it all again for the first time!). A single image, 2D to hologram, is one plane (that is what they are talking about in the segment I highlighted above!)

They used a laser, which they also describe what that means ("What is 'coherent'?, Alex"). The classic "constructive and destructive interference" is described (ah physic lab with the diffraction grating... oh so long ago...) and the article explains that it is not complete "destructive" but causes the blurriness that everyone keeps on encountering when trying to do 3D holography (especially involving movement).

The discovery, is that the "light cross-talk", properly called, "Fresnel diffraction," has been circumvented using "random phase approximations" (all from the same source, again, I am delivering information but am not an expert by any shape or means! There are some here who actually work on this stuff and others that tinker. Just letting ya'll know about this in case they have not seen it yet). It is kind of like phone lines and the early internet. The phone signals would all get jumbled together and they kept trying to clean the signals up. Turns out, the opposite was true! You add in specific noise that on the receiving end you subtract out and get a clearer signal as a result (rough outline, gross over simplification!)

The article also mentions that even though they used a single color laser (coherent), they can apply the technique to any existing 2D to hologram image device! Including MRIs!!

One of several ATS threads on the subject. This is one of the better ones using pulsed lasers:
Pulse Laser That Projects 3D Image Into Mid-Air.

Heavy lifting resources:

Wikipedia: Fourier optics (Fresnel diffraction).

This is also semi-related to this topic. Fourier transforms are how the "hard math" is handled. Which what this article is about:

Quantamagazine.org - Mathematicians Discover the Perfect Way to Multiply.

And some Cosmik Debris to add spice to the discussion:

Press Enterprise - The Frank Zappa hologram tour is underway and this is what you need to know.

While not exactly here (probably wont even be ready for Christmas Shopping... next year!), it is on its way!

Although our proof-of-principle experiments use spatial light modulators, our solution is applicable to all types of holographic media.

Source: Abstract, nature.com

edit on 2-5-2019 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: stoopid autocorrect...

edit on 2-5-2019 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: add last line of abstract qoute

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   

However, in order to reach their goal, the researchers had to introduce another critical ingredient. The 3-D projection would suffer from interference between the constituent layers, which had to be efficiently suppressed. "A technological breakthrough can rarely be traced to a fundamental mathematical result," says Prof. Fatih Ömer Ilday, the other lead author of the paper. "Realistic 3-D projections could not be formed before, mainly because it requires back-to-back projection of a very large number of 2-D images to look realistic, with potential crosstalk between images. We use a corollary of the celebrated central limit theorem and the law of large numbers to successfully eliminate this fundamental limitation."

phys.org - Physicists create Star Trek-style holograms.

Same researchers but different source. I wonder how I missed it in March??

Anyway, like I said, I always need a refresher course anyway which singularityhub provided.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   
No one has said Blue Beam, yet?

This site is slipping...

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I keep saying Math is my friend. Now this.

Really cool tech, and it could make things interesting if they can make it look solid.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Something wrong with the link - here's the one I have: singularityhub.com...

Way over my pay grade, but very interesting article.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Kind of makes you wonder... just how cutting edge is this discovery? Could it be possible that a team of scientists (decades ago?) achieved something similar and have put it towards a practical application in psychological warfare?

How hard would it be to project a hologram of a flying saucer traveling well beyond the sound barrier and making 90 degree turns and such? So many reports of sightings go on to state that the observed craft(s) were silent when maneuvering.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

That is one aspect.

Makes the 9/11 CT seem not so implossible!

Fake jets “seen” by tens of thousands and video “crashing” into “detonated” buildings...

Maybe this was figured out waaaayyyyyyyy before then!

But I cannot find my tinfoil hat.. so I have that going for me!

ETA: IF this is only leaking out now THEN the CT aspect might be worth considering. I am more of an av gas steel beams bending under the weight kind of guy. But I am known to be wrong!

(post by thinguyen123 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Interesting stuff, presented the concept of this in future music lighting shows at AVA Festival two months back (only recently had the idea, used the same principle but strict Dirichlet conditions applied to Fast-Fourier Transformation.), hadn't considered use in radiography though.

Great to see Zappa is already using it, can't think of a more fitting person.

new topics

top topics

join