It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect after anesthesia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   
So - recently had surgery. I was under anesthesia for 5 hours. All good now.

About a month after surgery I was sitting listening to a conversation between my step-daughter and her Dad. My step-daughter was describing when she had braces (very young - prior to me meeting her Dad). I didn’t say a word I just sat there and tried to sort out what I was hearing. She described to both her Dad and her younger brother all the steps she went through - the entire process of getting braces, a retainer, etc... The subject came up because her little brother has a gap between his two front teeth.

Here is what is bothering me. I clearly remember that prior to my surgery this subject had come up in conversation on several prior occasions. When the discussion came up I was consistently told that my step-daughter had never had braces. I haven’t had a stroke...I’m not taking any narcotics or mind altering medications, in my 40’s...this is just one single tiny thing that caught my attention. There was no reason for anyone to ever have lied about this. As I remember it I was told that another family member had braces but she didn’t. I also remember step-daughter wanting to get invisalign prior to my surgery (we had talked about it on the phone). Note: I’m chalking all this up to a misunderstanding and to me being a poor listener - but it is really odd.

For years I have wondered exactly where our consciousness goes when we go under anesthesia. I guess I am concerned that I will wake up in a alternate universe (I did watch way too much Twilight Zone as a kid). I have always been a bit leery of general anesthesia the same way Dr. Leonard McCoy on Star Trek was a bit leery of using the transporter.

Tried to locate articles explaining the mechanisms involved and found this article:

anesthesiology.pubs.asahq.org...

The article was a bit above my head.

Has anyone else had a similar experience - where they identified that something in their “remembered” pre-op universe had changed after undergoing general anesthesia?

]edit on 22-4-2019 by Buvvy because: Added info.

edit on 22-4-2019 by Buvvy because: Fixing link

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Buvvy

Link was messed up anesthesiology.pubs.asahq.org...
Try finding an article that doesn't include Quantum.

edit on 22-4-2019 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Thank you. I fixed the link. Still interested in hearing if anyone else has had a similar experience.

a reply to: pthena

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I found an easier article: Going Under Anesthesia May Impact Your Memory

Researchers conclude that middle-aged people have a higher risk of memory loss and cognition decline after undergoing surgical anesthesia.
In this study, researchers examined 964 participants with a mean age of 54 from the Wisconsin Registry for Alzheimer’s Prevention (WRAP).

The participants underwent two cognitive assessment tests over four years to see if one group was more likely to experience a cognitive decline or impaired memory.

Of the 670 participants with normal memory at the start of the study, those who had surgery during the study period were nearly twice as likely to show signs of “abnormal memory” than those who did not have surgery.

In total, 21 of the 114 people who underwent surgery developed abnormal memory by the end of the study.

This percentage was significantly higher than the 56 of 556 participants who developed abnormal memory and did not have surgery.

I had surgery done under anesthesia in 2013. I remember my 1st wife driving me there.
When I came out of anesthesia I was in a sort of waiting area. A nurse was observing me, so I ran through what I knew was going on. "I have had surgery done. I am waking from anesthesia. The date is 2013. This looks like a post-op area."

"Very good" she said, "would you like something to drink?"
Then she turned to the person next to me and said, "You should be able to take him home in about twenty minutes or so."

But I don't remember who took me home.
I don't even remember going home.
I remember the surgery room though,
it was so bright.
Lights shining down from different directions.
Not a shadow anywhere.
Things look strange in bright light with no shadow.

As for Mandela effect though:

I clearly remember conversations I've had with people during the year before the surgery, which the other person has no recall of. And I remember online chats with people. When I look back for the records of those chats, they either aren't there or they seem much abbreviated, missing some pieces of what I remember.

edit on 22-4-2019 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   
That is a helpful and somewhat scary article! Thank you for the link!

I’m going to chalk it up to “anesthesia brain” it is kinda similar to the “baby brain” issues that I had when I was pregnant!

a reply to: pthena

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Oh man! My last surgery I vaguely remember telling my surgeon some of my ex MILs evil deeds (she was not only my ride, but she used to work at this hospital).

When I tried to mention that I might have said some strange things to my dr during a follow up visit; he blushed, laughed and said don’t worry it wasn’t too bad 😆

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I had a similar experience. I had open heart surgery a few years back. I was 36 years old and in otherwise good health. Things went well and the recovery was quick. It was about six months later that I discovered that I had a very vivid and detailed memory of a family vacation that none of my family share. I very clearly remember beach camping at a local beach. We borrowed my fathers new motor home and spent the week enjoying our time together. I am absolutely positive that this event happened and can recall very specific details of the week. The only problem is that my wife and daughters all claim that the vacation never happened. I have no reason to think that they are having fun at my expense. At first I was very frustrated that they did not share the same memory. I have since accepted the possibility that while under the anesthesia my subconscious mind went to a “happy place” and created a dream/memory of this apparent non-event. The memory is so real, so detailed and even feels as if the time elapsed in real time as opposed to a dream where time seems to be pretty fluid and squishy.
I was on the table for 12 hours and it was by far the most traumatic event I have physically gone through, I guess maybe I discounted the psychological toll the event may have had and the power of my minds response to replace the stress/trauma with a much more pleasant memory.
It still kind of weirds me out when I think about it.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 05:20 AM
link   
“I had a similar experience. I had open heart surgery a few years back. I was 36 years old and in otherwise good health. Things went well and the recovery was quick. It was about six months later that I discovered that I had a very vivid and detailed memory of a family vacation that none of my family share.”

I was almost is tears after reading your post. Thank you for for providing a logical explanation for what might be happening. I really thought I was losing my mind a bit. My memory of these multiple pre-op conversations (all different dates years apart) are so clear. I was so shocked when my step-daughter started talking that I didn’t say anything. I felt a bit like I was living in an alternate universe.

I am still not convinced that physicians understand exactly what putting a patient under general anesthesia does to their consciousness (or to the patient’s soul). What happens if a patient dies under general anesthesia (while all brain systems are disconnected and their brain can’t even register that they have died)? Modern medicine has made a lot of progress but I don’t believe that they know everything.

a reply to: Peloni

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Lol - I would have been so embarrassed! Dr. handled it well.

A few sedating anxiolytic type medications can have amnesia-like effects (like versed). Patients are awake but unaware of what they have said and don't remember the procedure afterwards.

My situation was a bit different. These are multiple remembered conversations from prior to my surgery followed by one conflicting conversations over a month after my surgery!

a reply to: KTemplar

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   

You are still you, your step daughter is still your step daughter, your husband is still your husband.

We may exist across multiple reality's and be the same person in each of them, this would explain how when a body dies the soul may continue as it is a structure that span's multiple reality's, consciousness seems to warp reality around it as well defining outcome's and altering the fabric of the reality we live in, as universes split into alternative reality's so too must we, yet we are not split we are spread and grow into these other reality's.

While your body was switched off for lack of a better analogy your soul was probably displaced somehow from more than one of your alternative reality body's that were in very similar reality's were just a few thing's are slightly different, as your soul exists spanning these reality's it may have exchanged information OR even different part's of it may have come back to these two slightly different reality's and in the other reality your soul in that body may be wondering why when you know your step daughter had bracers she suddenly never did - you are the same person and just a part of you is in each of these parallel body's all that has happened is a slight polarity switch shifting one portion of that larger soul to that other physical you whom exists in the time stream you remember while you are now living in the time stream it remembers, as far as the universe is concerned nothing has happened but you have become a little more aware of your more than one reality nature, some people claim to be able to Dimension hop that is to move between these reality's but if they can then they must therefore be harming there own soul as they are forcibly displacing part's of themselves in order to do this supposed trick though I actually do not believe that there are many that can do that or indeed that perhaps any can.

As your soul is also linked to other soul's in your family and indeed the greater human race this should begin to give you an idea of the potential information source and exchange of data that soul's represent, even if they were not real some super intelligent being would have probably invented them for just this very purpose and made them real.

Or it could just be faulty memory?.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I was under anesthesia 15 or so years ago after my appendix burst. Didn't notice any mental changes, but when I tried to read the newspaper several days later, I could barely read it. I had never needed glasses and had great vision. I thought maybe it was lingering after effects of the anesthesia, but even weeks/months later I still couldn't read very well without reading glasses. Several years later I got prescription glasses

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Welp thanks for this, now next time I need to go under any kind of general anesthesia, I'm going to be terrified of waking up in a completely different Universe!

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: vlawde

Oxygen starvation to some of the nerves in your eye's perhaps, lucky you were not completely blind and I am sure that if you can actually prove that you may be able to get some compensation as it may be down to a poor mix of anesthetic gas and not enough oxygen.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

Welp thanks for this, now next time I need to go under any kind of general anesthesia, I'm going to be terrified of waking up in a completely different Universe!

Ooooops - sorry! I didn’t intend to project my fears/concerns onto others. Just trying to make sense of what happened. It was really a jaw-dropping moment for me.

link   

Ooooops - sorry! I didn’t intend to project my fears/concerns onto others. Just trying to make sense of what happened. It was really a jaw-dropping moment for me.

link   

new topics

top topics

active topics

join