It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly flesh-eating PIRANHAS found in Yorkshire lake as ducks and fish 'vanish'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Somehow the fish adapted to the colder water. It has not gotten that much warmer in that area, climate change is not involved. Someone put the fish into that lake, probably someone being humane who did not want to kill their fish. Fish can adapt, saltwater fish can sometimes become freshwater fish and vice versa. They can adapt to things as needed.

Really, go get a saltwater fish and put it into a freshwater aquarium, see what happens
Someone lied to you
They dontbadapt they die

Some fish are born to travel in both? but I can only think of one.
In fact a feesh water fish gets into salt water it can’t return to fresh, brackish not fresh, no adaptation

Amazon fish in cold water, no chance at all

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Amazon fish in cold water, no chance at all

Cold watta? By eck lad, it's bleeding tropical at t'Donnie.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 06:02 AM
link   
amazing - a single dead fish is extraoplated to an infestation responsible for killing off other species

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I don't think it's an infestation but and it's a big but, if someone has dumped a tank full of piranha into a small lake then it could have a impact on the local eco system short term.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Global weather changes aren't responsible for piranhas appearing in a lake in Yorkshire but people often dump fish like this thinking it couldn't do any harm, we've had no snow or real freezes again this year and if people dumping piranhas think the fish will die out when it gets cold these hardy fish might end up surviving more than just a few days or a season.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
I don't think it's an infestation but and it's a big but, if someone has dumped a tank full of piranha into a small lake then it could have a impact on the local eco system short term.

Doubtful, piranha get less aggressive the cooler the water they are in.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Fish are fantastic at adapting but it's usually brackish fish that can adapt to changes better than other fish. Some eels and sharks adapt and the good old molly is awesome at adapting to water changes.
This isn't climate change per se, but as you say, people thinking they are being humane by dumping their fresh water piranha into a lake, aren't being humane, and as average temperatures increase year on year, the chances of a situation like this the fish surviving in the near future is a possibility.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Not if the piranha get a sight of those flat caps they wont.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
and anyway piranha's generally don't attack people and are safe to swim with - seen a few documentaries aboutthem - i think it was a former US president (50/60's)who made up the whole - they'll strip a body of flesh in seconds, which is absolute crap.

I'd be more worried if we started getting those ball snapper ones - in France now and as checking name Pacu - they found one in Sweden too 8" up to a foot long in the Seine now - and they are also originally from the Amazon so we may end up with 'native' piranha..
edit on 18-4-2019 by johnb because: sp.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Eee ba gum, reet scary remake coming soon from Gods own county...
😂

edit on 18-4-2019 by RUokayHun because: Fix link

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: RUokayHun
I posted earlier in the thread about the Jaws type music in the background being the Hovis theme instead!! Could be a real winner at the movie festivals!

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

There could be more - I think the only way to know for sure is to have Kelly Brook take a dip.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

I can see it now, opening scene, a view of the lake district. zooms in on a car with a family on board going on their holidays, the hovis theme plays in the background. Kelly brook in a flat cap looking out over the water...…..
edit on 18-4-2019 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 04:30 AM
link   

yorkshire rippers strike again!

poor ducks and fish!

must have been bought in a pet store and abandoned

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Is there a large Polish community around your way? Ducks, swans and Pike have disappeared from the waters around my way for a long while now.
Just sayin'.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucius Driftwood

there were romany gypsies stealing the ducks from queens park in glasgow recently!

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I depends on how the fish were put into local lake if they just th down in they probably get the sick and die but if they were put in bags of water and let to a climate to temp for several hours they may survive. Fish are tougher than most people realize also not all piranhas eat meat some like fruit. And when you get a swarm of them attacking anything that moves its usually because there is nothing left to eat in pond they stuck in.. but yes jackasses throwing nominative creatures into local environments is a major mess. In my area we got lion fish morons let loose eating up local fish.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Somebody PLEASE tell me that there are other lakes in or around Doncaster, than the pond at Cusworth Hall Park?? Don't ask me why?? We spent such a pleasant afternoon there, two weeks ago.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   
My only question what is the point of the title of the post. Piranhas have always been known as flesh-eating. Why add the more dramatic part to the title? This was not to derail any topic, which really likes stories like this that a new item has been brought to a new area and could have a bit of chance of survival.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I was expecting to see a Pacu, but that is indeed a Piranha. I would not be too worried, they would not survive winter.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join