It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly flesh-eating PIRANHAS found in Yorkshire lake as ducks and fish 'vanish'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Ahhh, no. This is someone hoaxing and the drama of the OP is needless.
Piranha cannot forage live prey in waters colder than 60 degrees F and experience shock and death at temps below 50 F.
www.tandfonline.com...(1997)126%3C0841%3ACTAPOO%3E2.3.CO%3B2
From November to April the max air temp recorded in Doncaster fails to reach the 50 F mark: en.climate-data.org...

www.theguardian.com...

The lake is in a former clay pit and is usually well-stocked with carp, tench, bream, perch, pike and chub, along with the usual pond life of newts, frogs and toads, plus birdlife including ducks, coots, water hens and swans.

Pike, pike are why the ducks are disappearing. Some dipsey-doo-dah dumped his damn aquarium into the lake, his piranha died probably very, very quickly of shock, and beached in the shallows as dead fish usually do. There is no "climate change" angle to this news story, it's 100% pure ridiculousness.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Really, go get a saltwater fish and put it into a freshwater aquarium, see what happens
Someone lied to you
They dontbadapt they die

Some fish are born to travel in both? but I can only think of one.
In fact a feesh water fish gets into salt water it can’t return to fresh, brackish not fresh, no adaptation

WHAT!?!?!?

It's called "anadromous" and it is definitely something which happens in multiple species of fish.
www.nefsc.noaa.gov...
Some fish, in fact, go regularly from salt to fresh for purposes of feeding and not just spawning.
Dolly Varden, for instance.
www.adfg.alaska.gov...=dollyvarden.main
Will go from salt to fresh during salmon spawning to feast on eggs and dying salmon carcasses, then exit back into the salt, to migrate to a freshwater system that has a lake to overwinter in. Salmon are true anadromous fish, they die after returning to fresh water and spawning. Most char, sea trout, and steelhead trout spawn multiple times, and will go back to the salt for another season following the end of the spawn.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
We now also have flocks of parrots living in London. Britain's wildlife is changing.

I remember seeing parrots in the London area 20 years ago. Your mention of that made me look it up. Apparently, it isn't known how they got there but they have been there many years. No one seems to know how they got there. Their survival though has nothing to do with global warming so no need to worry.

Article here

Particularly long, cold winters tend to have a natural culling effect on the wild parrot populations of London, although for birds of tropical origins, they are surprisingly hardy and generally quite capable of weathering the British cold. Wild parrots eat berries, seeds, nuts, buds, vegetables and fruit, and are often credited with decimating entire orchards and gardens within just a few weeks. Many gardeners and fans of native wildlife are unhappy with the presence of these undoubtedly beautiful and striking birds, due to the effect they have on the natural ecosystem and native bird population of the area.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Some sharks too..Bull sharks, quite dangerous.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Hmmmyyeaaah do you have some difficulty
I never said no fish did I said very few did and I could only think of one

Listed are very few, very few, did you not those words “very few”
Or did I say I could only think of one? Hmm

Anyway, who cares, fish, unless they are born to live in fresh and salt water die outside of their environment
Capishe, comprende, fish don’t adapt, they have to be born to live in both.

See I was replying to rickymouse about a certain aspect of saltwater fish adapting to fresh water, not anadromous. SPECIFICALLY, yes I am YELLING, go read the thread through and cut out the juvenile sniping, you are not that clever

We were discussing salt water fish adapting to fresh water not your strawman babble

Char sea trout, right you are

Anyway you have fun

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

Lots of parakeets in London - saw lots at Falconwood:

London's Parakeets: Everything you need to know

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

Particularly long, cold winters tend to have a natural culling effect on the wild parrot populations of London

Climate change will or is effecting how long we have a snowy, frozen London for, and will effect how big the parrot population gets. Maybe they will replace the pigeons in Leicester square.

edit on 6-6-2019 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Then there are the catadromous fish like the American Eel , that live in rivers and streams, then go to sea to spawn.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Piranha cannot forage live prey in waters colder than 60 degrees F and experience shock and death at temps below 50 F.

Your talking foreign with your degrees Fahrenheit, have you just made that up??? We use celsisus in Great Britian, the big C instead the big F!! Thats 15C to 10C in the correct terminology!!
I agree and mentioned earlier in the thread that someone dumped there aquarium fish in the lake, it's sad but people seem to do this a lot, and like I said earlier.....but (and this is a massive but) if temperatures are increasing, people doing this into rivers could eventually have a detrimental effect on the environment, an example being that American fresh water cray fish have nearly wiped out the British version.

edit on 6-6-2019 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Your talking foreign with your degrees Fahrenheit, have you just made that up??? We use celsisus in Great Britian, the big C instead the big F!! Thats 15C to 10C in the correct terminology!!

We use the big F. Which, by the way, it isn't Fahrenheit. It's Freedomheit.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Catty much?

Let's do an experiment here. Please, in the name of science, go respirate in a pool of salt water, then respirate in a pool of fresh water and report your findings back to the group. I'm interested to know which one you receive more oxygen from.
edit on 6-6-2019 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I'm thinking either one of those would cause him to dro……..ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   

American fresh water cray fish have nearly wiped out the British version.

*Feelings of nationalism and pride intensify*

No, I got what you were saying there, The US has dealt with a similarly disasterous situation with the snakehead fish. It was never water temps that kept it from happening earlier, though. Geographic barriers have been obliterated by international trade and travel and people have placed animals that shouldn't be in certain places, who were previously not found there because of Earth's barriers (oceans, mountain ranges, inhospitable climate regions between similar climated areas on the globe, etc) into those new places. Sometimes magic has happened when those transplants have taken place. An example would be the hippos Pablo Escobar imported into Columbia and released in several lakes. They're dying out in Africa, but thriving in South America.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Catty much?

Let's do an experiment here. Please, in the name of science, go respirate in a pool of salt water, then respirate in a pool of fresh water and report your findings back to the group. I'm interested to know which one you receive more oxygen from.

Don’t need to, I can read and understand what I read, you might be better served undertaking some other form of experiment.
Suggesting I kill myself is a little churlish, beneath a moderator, no?

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Science weeps at your refusal to participate.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Regarding the temperature for piranhas to survive...
Plenty of people keep those fish in freshwater aquariums.
Something that you will find in all of those aquariums is a heater.
They have a heater to keep the tank at a temperature where the fish can survive.
If a piranha could survive at temps as low as 50 degrees F (10 degrees C), they wouldn't waste money on a heater, as no one that I know keeps their home at temps below 60 F, let alone 50 F.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I don't understand this 50 degrees F thing you're talking about, it just sounds like gibberish to me...….

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Yeah, not to mention the lion/scorpion fish and the effect it's having on American coastal waters.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Love the sensationalist headline

Piranhas dont attack people like the movies make them out to.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

a reply to: butcherguy

I don't understand this 50 degrees F thing you're talking about, it just sounds like gibberish to me...….

Oh, come now... I specifically did the conversion to degrees C... just for you!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join