It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet from the electrical wall outlet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This is amazing.
You just plug your lap top or computer in and its connected to the internet. It looks like its getting ready to come to the market soon. Does anyone know anything about this? I guess the CIA really did invent something like this all those years ago.

www.spacedaily.com...

www.napa.ufl.edu...

www.pcworld.com...

www.wired.com...

[edit on 2-3-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
That's tight!

This also make think that the major power system failure that happened in NYC last time...could have been a test run of a new electrical system...which may facilitate the usage of electrical outlet for internet surfing or networking activities...

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
That is awesome! I want one.
I am assuming that the electrical companies will charge for this?

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Your right. It is amazing. But you are a few months behind the news I think. Look here.

FCC approves Broadband over Ethernet

There are some complaints from ham radio operators. I also see that several european communities have tried it with limited success.

I here that they are testing gigabit over powerlines. Imagine......

[edit on 2-3-2005 by makeitso]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I've been reading about this for years. The power companies would love to develop a phone business, TV distribution, internet, etc. and have been trying to develop it. The entry costs would be cheap - the lines are already there, and into every home and apartment.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Your right. It is amazing. But you are a few months behind the news I think. Look here

Yep, it's been talked about for a long time, not everyone is happy about it.

I remember Art Bell being pretty vocal about his condemnation of it.

Personally I think it would be good if it didn't affect other radio frequencies,
I'm wondering what speeds would be obtainable

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
makeitso, thanks for the link. Guess I am behind schedule a bit.

Originally posted by AlexofSkye
I've been reading about this for years. The power companies would love to develop a phone business, TV distribution, internet, etc. and have been trying to develop it. The entry costs would be cheap - the lines are already there, and into every home and apartment.

Gosh it really would cost next to nothing. Everything is there... no digging no construction. Im sure the power companies will take full advantage of this situation. Sounds like a good investment.

[edit on 2-3-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Yup I was right.
I did remember reading about them working on gigabit broadband over power lines. But I was wrong too. They are not testing it yet.

Penn State engineers, Pouyan Amirshahi and Mohsen Kavehrad, estimated in a research paper released Wednesday that their system could deliver data at close to one gigabit per second over medium-voltage electrical lines in ideal conditions, with speeds of hundreds of megabits per second available to home users.

Slashdot
Researchers see gigabit data over power lines

new topics

top topics

join