It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Notre Dame on fire in Paris

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Just breaking... Not much out there yet. Hope no one gets hurt and the brave firefighters can put it down ASAP.

A fire has broken out at the famous Notre Dame cathedral in Paris, firefighters say.

The cause is not yet clear, but officials say it could be linked to renovation work.

www.bbc.com...
edit on 15/4/2019 by vinifalou because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

Wasn't there a thread the other day about a bunch of churchs being burned?

I thought that was in france too.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Hope they can put it out, beautiful building, haven't been there for years but it blew me away

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: CofveveOranges

Seems like a pretty bad fire to me

No expert tho but I really hope they can put it down.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I found a short youtube clip of the fire. Hopefully they can put it and save the historic church.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Its an inferno. I pray they can save some of it.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Black churches in the south. If there were fires in europe I dont think they were connected. The guy who set them is already in custody.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This is a horrible loss...it looks out of control.
So beautiful...so full of irreplacable artwork.

Hopefully no fatalities.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Yes it looks devastating. I can't see any fire fighters. Where are they?

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Looks like a serious fire , hopefully they can confine it to the roof , seems renovation work is one of the more serious dangers these old treasures face.

edit on 15-4-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

link   
Here's a little History of the Notre Dame Cathedral, if anyone is interested.

notredamecathedralparis.com...

link   
It started in the area with the scaffolding. They were doing work up around the spire and that is where the fire is.
Electrical? Poorly disposed cigarette?

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

www.rt.com...

www.newsweek.com...

France has seen a spate of attacks against Catholic churches since the start of the year, vandalism that has included arson and desecration. Vandals have smashed statues, knocked down tabernacles, scattered or destroyed the Eucharist and torn down crosses, sparking fears of a rise in anti-Catholic sentiment in the country.

Last month, at the St. Nicholas Catholic Church in Houilles, in north-central France, a statue of the Virgin Mary was found smashed, and the altar cross had been thrown on the ground, according to La Croix International, a Catholic publication. Also in February, at Saint-Alain Cathedral in Lavaur, in south-central France, an altar cloth was burned and crosses and statues of saints were smashed. The attack prompted Lavaur Mayor Bernard Canyon to say in a statement: “God will forgive. Not me.” And in the southern city of Nimes, near the Spanish border, vandals looted the altar of the church of Notre-Dame des Enfants (Our Lady of the Children) and smeared a cross with human excrement. Consecrated hosts made from unleavened bread, which Catholics believe to be the body of Jesus Christ, were taken and found scattered among rubbish outside the building. Bishop Robert Wattebled of Nimes said in a statement: “This greatly affects our diocesan community. The sign of the cross and the Blessed Sacrament have been the subject of serious injurious actions.

They blame radical secularists who hate all things religious, but Christians in particular. Apparently Muslims get a pass.

The Vienna-based Observatory of Intolerance and Discrimination Against Christians in Europe, which was founded in cooperation with the Council of European Bishops Conferences (CCEE) but is now independent said there had been a 25 percent increase in attacks on Catholic churches in the first two months of the year, compared with the same time last year. Its executive director, Ellen Fantini, told Newsweek that while in many cases the motive for the attacks was not known, France faced growing problems with anti-Christian violence, especially by anarchist and feminist groups.

"The pressure is coming from the radical secularists or anti-religion groups as well as feminist activists who tend to target churches as a symbol of the patriarchy that needs to be dismantled," she added.

Many will cheer the destruction of Notre Dame Cathedral.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
This is a horrible loss...it looks out of control.
So beautiful...so full of irreplacable artwork.

Hopefully no fatalities.

I feel the same. How horrible!

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Almost fifty in the month of March, and they continued on into April.

Newsweek says that "OFFICIALS DON’T KNOW WHY."

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Almost fifty in the month of March, and they continued on into April.

Newsweek says that "OFFICIALS DON’T KNOW WHY."

Probably some anti-Christian group. France should have more street-cams, like we have in America.

link   
a reply to: incoserv

Animals! To ruin people's place of worship and historical and beautiful buildings for no other reason than hate is inexcusable!

+20 more 
link   
I'm suspicious that this happens during the week of Easter.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I'm glad I got to see it. What a shame.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   
According to the Newsweek article that I referenced above, the director of the Vienna-based Observatory of Intolerance and Discrimination Against Christians in Europe says:

"The pressure is coming from the radical secularists or anti-religion groups as well as feminist activists who tend to target churches as a symbol of the patriarchy that needs to be dismantled."

Anybody here suspect Islam to be involved?

And if it is, do you think we'll ever hear about it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join