It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Hunter S. Thompson "Suicided"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
First let me say that i have been a big fan of the late Hunter S. Thompson and my first thought when i heard of his death was that for some reason he was being silenced.

As i thought about it more, i couldn't come up with a logical reason why this would happen as i didn't feel he had the same level of influence these days so i then decided i must have been mad for thinking someone wanted Mr. Thompson dead... but then i saw this:

/6977m

Hunter telephoned me on Feb. 19, the night before his death. He sounded scared. It wasn't always easy to understand what he said, particularly over the phone, he mumbled, yet when there was something he really wanted you to understand, you did. He'd been working on a story about the World Trade Center attacks and had stumbled across what he felt was hard evidence showing the towers had been brought down not by the airplanes that flew into them but by explosive charges set off in their foundations. Now he thought someone was out to stop him publishing it: "They're gonna make it look like suicide," he said. "I know how these bastards think . . ."

So... what do YOU think?

Does anyone happen to have a login for this page? For whatever reason this news site is charging for access to certain stories, and this is one of them. (i'd really like to read the full story myself)

[edit on 2-3-2005 by negativenihil]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Link to full story

and your quote above continues with:

That's how I imagine a tribute to Hunter S. Thompson should begin. He was indeed working on such a story, but it wasn't what killed him. He exercised his own option to do that. As he said to more than one person, "I would feel real trapped in this life if I didn't know I could commit suicide at any time."

I highly doubt he was "suicided," as you put it.
Such a phone call didn't happen, and I can't find anything about him finding any of this "evidence."

Edit: Try this roundabout link

[edit on 2-3-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
That's dynamite. I suggest you post this on numerous forum/discussion boards/email listserves/bbs's immediately and spread the word, get this topic out there now. Get it debunked quickly or let people know about it before it's too forgotten. This is dynamite. Let it blow up. Bomb the Earth

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I don't know about that, as I think the story would come out for free if true.

But maybe not.

I include the mysterious death of liberal web warrior Steve Kangas as a coincidental "suicide" prior to the promised delivery of equally compelling political revelations.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
Link to full story

and your quote above continues with:

Banshee-

Is there any way you could u2u me the contents of the article?

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Hrrrmm, this place is teh sneaky.

Here's a Google news search that should take you to the article.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Outstanding, thank you!

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Hey Banshee. Both of your links only get you to the first page of the article, and then it needs the registration for pages 2 and 3.

The first page of this article however doesn't contain an bombshells that could lead one to believe that HST was off'ed.

My opinion.... the author of the article was just trying to write a piece that would stir up the discussion, and seperate their piece from all the other stories on HST's death.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   

They're gonna make it look like suicide," he said. "I know how these bastards think . . ."

That's how I imagine a tribute to Hunter S. Thompson should begin. He was indeed working on such a story, but it wasn't what killed him. He exercised his own option to do that

Ok, so there was no call, there was no 'suiciding' by 'them', or anything like that.

Its rather silly, I think, to suggest that now the government was upset by Thompson.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Regardless of conjecture, it is interesting nonetheless to note that he was investigating the 9/11 event as reported in the G&M article when he died.

A more reasonable explanation or theory however would be that HST was diagnosed with cancer (life-long smoker/drinker/drug user) and decided to snuff it before he became incapacitated, it makes sense for a character who would not sacrifice his personal freedoms for anyone or thing.

dh

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
He had a lot of support from the babyboomer generation, from the establishment press journalists, from the intelligentsia in general
Particularly the liberals and leftists sixties potsmokers held in enchantment
Therefore dangerous
www.prisonplanet.com...

They're all the last people they want to wake up
They'll put it on the street, after all

[edit on 2-3-2005 by dh]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
According to his wife, Anita, Thompson had been discussing suicide as a logical ending to his life. One account states that Thompson was on the phone with Anita when he pulled the trigger, while another states that she did not hear the shot. According to the Rocky Mountain News article, his son, when he heard the shot, thought a book had fallen.

Despite some discrepancies in the story, it seems unlikely that Thompson was "suicided." As his biographer, Douglas Brinkley, noted, "...Thompson did not take his life 'in a moment of haste or anger or despondency' but probably planned his suicide well in advance because of declining health."

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
According to the Rocky Mountain News article, his son, when he heard the shot, thought a book had fallen.

Fishy I'd say!.. It's not difficult to distiguish the sound difference between a gun firing and a book falling hitting the floor.

Throw in a silencer and behold, we got Colonel Muster caught in the liberary holding a candle stick!

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
One of the best improvised silencers is a potato. I personally have never experimented with the human head, but I suspect the effect might be very similar.

This video might illustrate my point.

www.snopes.com...

[edit on 05/3/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I think his death might not have been "suicided"

I think someone wanted him gone...its been done befored.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I think his death might not have been "suicided"

I think someone wanted him gone...its been done befored.

Enough already. Hunter was sick for a long, long time. For the last several months, he could barely walk. He needed the help of others to stand upright. I mean, he was just wasting away. The years really caught up with him.

I'm sure he would have enjoyed the speculation, but he really did kill himself. He ended his life like he lived it, on his own terms. He had his remains shot out of a cannon, for crissakes.

And if, God forbid, government shadow agents did do it, then I thank them, because he really was suffering from immense pain.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I think he was killed!

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I think it was just another liberal who was going to therapy to try to get over Bush's win. The therapy obviously failed, and suicide was his only solution.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Ya know, over one Rense, I heard they have pictures of OJ Simpson and Dick Cheney climbing out of HST's windows with a briefcase and a laptop with all the secret files on it. . It must be true.

No, this man wasn't sick or anything...his own family stated that felt he would do this...there is NO conspircay here. Now, Whitewater.....

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
www.theglobeandmail.com... t/Page/document/v4/sub/MarketingPage?user_URL=http://www.theglobeandmail.com%2Fservlet%2FArticleNews%2FTPStory%2FLAC%2F20050226%2FHUNTER26%2FTPComment %2FTopStories&ord=1109739429511&brand=theglobeandmail&force_login=true

He wont be talking again, will he.

Hunter telephoned me on Feb. 19, the night before his death. He sounded scared. It wasn't always easy to understand what he said, particularly over the phone, he mumbled, yet when there was something he really wanted you to understand, you did. He'd been working on a story about the World Trade Center attacks and had stumbled across what he felt was hard evidence showing the towers had been brought down not by the airplanes that flew into them but by explosive charges set off in their foundations. Now he thought someone was out to stop him publishing it: "They're gonna make it look like suicide," he said. "I know how these bastards think . . ."

[edit on 4-3-2005 by dgtempe]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join