It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheap tippers tick me off

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I don't see how it should be my problem to worry about my servers financial situation. You could save a great deal by not doing it. If I pay the price of the whatever that should be it. We shouldn't have to give extra gifts to people that work with food or whatever. It's just stupid. Only certain jobs have this system and it makes no sense.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Tipping is one of those things that is always more so about local custom. However in the US, it is legally required to make up for overall wages that come up short of minimum wage after including tips. Unfortunately that is not enforced as well as it should be, and is easily covered up due to misreporting tips on both ends from the server/restaurant via FLSA.
www.dol.gov...

That being said, rarely do I skimp on a tip. If a place is empty, and my water glass is empty for the majority of a meal,or there isn't even a courtesy stop by, I'm not going to tip well. But that is the exception, and most places even when slammed business wise take care of that quite well. My friends think I am good with tipping, and I had worked in the industry, but in no way does that mean a tip should be guaranteed.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I usually tip around fifteen percent, if the waitress is really good and efficient I may go up. That is with meals, I might give a buck tip on a buck and a half cup of coffee if the waitress keeps coming around and filling it, sometimes even more if I am there for a while.

I do leave a couple of bucks at a chinese buffet, but you do not actually get much service there, they actually pay the waitresses better at those kind of places because there are hardly any tips. Some even pool the money and split it between everyone working there. I also don't tip at BK or McDs and places like that. I also do not tip at take out pizza places, they get full wages at those places. Some businesses take all the tips you give as part of their work agreement, I know of two places here that do that. All you are doing is tipping the restaurant owner, I know this for sure from some people I know who worked at the places.

The Wife and I get social security now, that is not a lot of money. We don't go out often to eat, we cannot afford that. On top of that, we do make better foods, way better foods, than you can get in any restaurant around here. With the exception of a few fish fries using local whitefish and a few pizza places. I have not figured out a good crust yet.

We can make a whole equivalent meal sometimes for the price of the tip and the sales tax paid on the meal.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabrechucker
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Your an Orchestra man!, and full disclosure.. I was fired for stealing a bottle of Jack Daniels sauce. That was some good #

Haha thanks. I got everything out of it I put into it. I was selling myself just as much as the service/product. I still know most of the members, deal with a couple in my new field, hang out with a few, and do private gigs on the side rarely for some.

And you were better than I at 16-17.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: trustmeimdoctor

I don't see how it should be my problem to worry about my servers financial situation.

It's totally not your problem

No one is stopping you from cooking at home.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:18 PM
link   

"And you were better than I at 16-17"

don't be so sure of that. lol

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:21 PM
link   

No one is stopping me from getting a service I paid for and not tipping either.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: trustmeimdoctor

Than you didn't pay for it.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Ricky you bring up a good point.

So 15% is considered more than fair. And there is nuance to the equation even for those that have worked it.

Buffets servers can easily have double the tables as they don't have to bring out the food when it is fresh, just clear plates and keep drinks full.

If you go to a bar, as long as you aren't getting intricate drinks, a dollar a drink is generous seeing as they can pump those out.

But if you go somewhere and sit down for an hour with them keeping an eye on water glasses, drinks, and keeping their outlaw cooks in line to get orders out.... If you are spending 100 and can't throw an extra 15 or 20 than you're not budgeting right IMO.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.delish.com... k&fbclid=IwAR0GuG3hLkXeuvPpyeQPlCOXhSIaNTabNji-ZIQ9NcKPliFxk_KoHAqEfjs

The so-called tipping trick is to double the tax amount, instead of tipping on the post-tax total. So, essentially, CNBC's big revelation to save yourself money is at the expense of your server. Tip less, they're saying. No #, that will save you money, but it's also, uhh...rude?!

Many hundreds of years ago I was a waitress. I was a good one, but man did that job suck. I wish we were more like the European system where you don't tip and servers get a wage.
One of the things I pounded in my kids head was never to do work that relied on the generosity of others, ever. Thank God they listened to me.

Some people go out to eat and never tip, doesn't matter what the service is. Some people will only tip if the person serves them
like a king. Then there are a very few people that are decent and tip a normal amount. I'm an awesome tipper, very rarely do I go below 20%

Some people say they shouldn't have to supplement the restaurant on their workers wages. Sure, but we all know it doesn't work that way, at least in America. If you don't want to pay for the service stay home and serve yourself.

I've never done anything, but I know many waiters and waitresses that
remember people that stiff them, some even keep a log.

I've got a rule. I never do less than $5.00 because even if my meal is cheap the fact somebody else cooked it and served me is worth 5 bucks. Even when I was poor if I couldn't tip 5 bucks I didn't go out to eat.

I can think of one time when I tipped a penny and the waitress flipped out on me when I said I was all set with our garlic bread appetizer when it came out 15 minutes after our meal. I truly hope she found another career. I couldn't put up with that crap. I usually land at 15% only if it was below average. If I can tell they are struggling and they still keep a smile I usually top around 30%. It's not their fault the kitchen is slow. I've been friends with many servers and I know just one good tip can make their night. If I can't afford to be that person I should make and serve my own damn meal.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: trustmeimdoctor

Before I go to bed I want to leave you with a message.

Capatalism and democracy are synonymous. One you vote with your dollar, the other you vote with your citizenship.

If you don't like the practice of tip based income of servers, don't pay the establishment. Paying those who keep the practice while stiffing someone trying to make it in this world just shows you feel entitled to something without going by the unwritten rules.

Tip isn't tax, eating out is a choice.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: rickymouse

Buffets servers can easily have double the tables as they don't have to bring out the food when it is fresh, just clear plates and keep drinks full.

If you go to a bar, as long as you aren't getting intricate drinks, a dollar a drink is generous seeing as they can pump those out.

In prior years, back in my atheltic youth, I think buffet workers may have had it harder than normal wait staff. I could easily down 5 or 6 plates, and if they didn't catch on to my beverage consumption they could expect 8-12 refills. They often started bringing pitchers. When I was power-lifting and hitting the gym hard those people got 20%. I don't mind paying for service. He'll I tip Subway staff a buck. Imagine the difference in their life if every person just gave a buck.
edit on 4/9/19 by Ksihkehe because: Typos, one of them pitchers. Who'd have known it takes me 8 times to spell it.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Any job that has to do with dealing with the public is a thankless abyss of misery. Worked fast food for years (obviously, nobody tips fast food workers and they get # pay to boot).

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Everyone who ever plans on going out to bars/restaurants should spend at least one year of their life in the service industry.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Well I didn't steal anything. It would appear I pay what I'm asked to pay. I see no reason to tip a waiter more than a janitor, bank teller, or gas staion clerk. I'm not stiffing anyone. I have zero obligation to pay people money that isn't on a bill. All complaints about wages should be addressed to the bosses of these employees. I'm not interested in what people are getting paid when I am buying something. It's a clever way of tricking me into paying more money. It's stupid and sad that people act like this is some moral thing.
edit on 9-4-2019 by trustmeimdoctor because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 12:07 AM
link   

If you really believe that, that's fine.

However, please let your server know that before you order.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 12:41 AM
link   
My sisters were baristas and then waitresses (for a time in our lives). I learned from them to tip (around 20%) of a meal bill.
I learned from a friends father, to tip $5 on the first drink and a dollar or two on subsequent drinks if at the bar (depending on complexity of the order [mixed vs draft/shot]).

I do not know if I tip well.
I do know I (and my party) am treated with respect, and have our host/ hostess, wait staff, and bussers be very attentive to the party, in venues where we frequent.
I have been known to tip a busser for being outstanding. That is outside of the overall tip- which hopefully is shared to kitchen and hosts.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I used to work in food service so I understand. I always try to tip well but when I get crappy service I do scale it back.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 02:20 AM
link   
i has a question - regards this merkin obsession with paying uncivilised wages - and the " need " to tip

if all factors [ except tip ] are ballanced - is food [ resteraunt service ] in the US cheaper or more expensive than other countries ?

the reason for this question - should be obvious

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

If you really believe that, that's fine.

However, please let your server know that before you order.

Why?
So they can spit in your food or worse?

Do you tell your server that you are going to give them a big tip when you order.... and then you recieve better food quicker?

edit on 10-4-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join