It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the worlds weapon systems

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I've done some research on the worlds military systems and I just though of something that would be cool how about an ATS library on weapon systems? Anybody intrested?

[edit on 1-3-2005 by blue cell]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
You have a good idea there. Maybe ATS should get people to help make a database on current, upcoming and historical Military hardware? Having people go through, cut out the ‘cr*p’ and only place the facts. That way, ATS can have a great reference site to information rather then people quoting obscure material. Maybe make it so people can add their own articles and admins can check it, before it gets added? Kind of like Wikipedia?

Would be a nice idea, although I know how much time it would take and resources for the site.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
You have a good idea there. Maybe ATS should get people to help make a database on current, upcoming and historical Military hardware? Having people go through, cut out the ‘cr*p’ and only place the facts. That way, ATS can have a great reference site to information rather then people quoting obscure material. Maybe make it so people can add their own articles and admins can check it, before it gets added? Kind of like Wikipedia?

Would be a nice idea, although I know how much time it would take and resources for the site.

Yeah I know what you mean some people make a lot of absurd claims and never back them up we could have them test there. But it would take a lot of work though. Also you know how people are always asking things about countries weapon systems and the like we could avoid a lot of those not always nessecary posts by having a database of sites and posts that answer those questions.

[edit on 1-3-2005 by blue cell]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
That sounds pretty interesting. By 'military systems', are you reffering mainly on WMDs? It would be very much interested to learn thing aside from those matters, you see.
For example, illegal munitions, such as dum-dum rounds. Flaws in small arms, such as the M16's excessive length or the lack of reliabilty in the SA80 (or SA-AT, I'm not good with matters of the memory)

I'm quite new here and relatively eager to join in with the debates and conversations, you see. I think a library on weapons and military systems would present an ample opportunity for newbies such as myself to learn more about these kind of aspects.
Rock on!

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I myself think a full 'database' of everything, would be good. Be it amunition, weapons, air craft, etc. That way, you could have some facts of these placed on AboveTopSecret, which would give a good way of New Members joining in without getting 'attacked', as they seem too.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Would be cool but why do such when there's already a good one like this out there??

FAS Database

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
Would be cool but why do such when there's already a good one like this out there??

FAS Database

thanks,
drfunk

Yeah I know but it would also have like a directory of threads on certain subjects in the forum like special forces, tanks etc. Maybe there can be a way where we can have a search within a thread, could this be possible?

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
A database on ATS of weapons systems would be pretty cool, but I'm not sure there would be enough interest in it to warrant the resources.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
www.fas.org(federation of american scientists) already has a datatbase like that

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by benedict arnold
www.fas.org(federation of american scientists) already has a datatbase like that

I know thats were I found out about the worlds weapon systems. But as I said above it would be a lot more different that that.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
There aren't many systems out there which aren't covered comprehensively either at FAS or Global Security. What worries me is how to corroborate the information so there isn't an inordinate amount of BS on systems not covered in the two above.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I think everybody who's doule-checked stuff on those two sites above will agree that there is a bit of BS here and there..

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Why not get a group of people on the site to do it then? With ATS just monitoring what's written, before it gets added to another section? I think it'd be a good idea for this place to store 'facts' about weapon systems. As for speculation, etc, maybe leave that out.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Why not get a group of people on the site to do it then? With ATS just monitoring what's written, before it gets added to another section? I think it'd be a good idea for this place to store 'facts' about weapon systems. As for speculation, etc, maybe leave that out.

Good idea Odium but in should also contain facts about SF units, and have a directory for new people on certain subjects so they can get in on good discussions.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Well, if SF units are added then it'll turn into a military database [not bad].

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
It'll be a good thing if it sticks to 'facts' only. E.g. for the SF's, you could put training and mission they've done, as facts and keep out all the 'who's best' bull, that a lot put in.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
If we're going to do this, then it should focus on cutting edge weaponry and forces not the general stuff.

I have a fairly large collection of videos from the military most of it testing of weapons. It would be good to be able to have not just written information but other forms of media such as videos.

Maybe it could be possible to host some of the rarer videos on ATS.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Videos would be ace, as would images especially images that display how something works. I'll ask about, find a few people and then speak to a few of the admins and see if they'd let us work together to make a nice catalogue of weaponry. Present and passed. (Last 50years.)

Edit: If you'd be interested in helping, U2U me and post on this forum saying you would and what you can help with.

[edit on 6-3-2005 by Odium]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Blue Cell, another good idea from you.

However, including WMD as you call it, would not work. By WMD are you refering to Nuclear weapons? They are the ONLY weapons of mass destruction.

Biological weapons are for use in the enemy's homeland.

Chemical Agents are almost exclusively designed for the battlefield on the front line and forward rear areas.

I can supply details of these if you require them (from my days as an NBC Instructor) but they do make very heavy reading!

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
link 15

link 14

link 13

link 12

link 11

link 10

link 9

link 8

link 7

link 6