It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri senate passes bill to ban Federal gun control laws

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

And guess what, the cotus supersedes all federal law, so there you go.

Jaden

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
So it is now a "sanctuary state"?

Not quite, this bans federal law, while the "sanctuary" laws only stop enforcement of federal law because states and localities don't have to enforce federal law due to separations of power.

Vastly different things.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek
a reply to: caterpillage

I'm sure that Missouri will say goodbye to Federal Highway funds pretty soon.

Thats exactly what i was wondering, the fed surely wont sit by and take this. But how will they fight back?
Likely to start with would be what you said, they will withold federal funding for roads, education, disaster relief, whatever it takes to "get Missouri's mind right".

I hope missouri toughs it out and doesn't give in.

The federal government has no business having power over the states. It should be the other way around. It's supposed to be, was meant to be.

The fed got way to big, way to invasive.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

I am a confused European. Can you help me out? I thought that federal law always supersedes state law. I read that even though certain states have legalised cannabis use, the Feds can still un laws.bust people.

You are not confused, you are just more informed than most. Our constitution says that Federal law is the supreme law of the land. This action by Missouri is a purely political ploy. The laws regulating firearms are federal laws. A state has no role in enforcing federal law. That is done by the feds through the ATF, FBI, DEA and US Attorneys. It would be the same as if Missouri said that residents there don't have to pay federal taxes. If you think that would stop the IRS from collecting taxes, then you would be a confused European. Missouri has no jurisdiction over federal gun laws.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Just in case that isn’t enough, Missouri’s Senate also passed a measure supporters say will work hand-in-hand with SB367, solidifying it by codifying the Second Amendment into Missouri’s state constitution. Senate Joint Resolution 36 (SJR36) proposes an amendment to the Missouri state constitution with text obligating the state government to uphold the right to keep and bear arms. It passed the Senate today by a vote of 29-4. If passed by the House, it will be entered on the ballot for Missouri voters’ approval this fall. The amendment would elevate the Right to Bear Arms to “unalienable status,” thereby obligating the state, its courts and agencies to defend it as a guaranteed right of Missouri citizens.

Missouri is effing awesome!

Wow. This makes me proud of my state

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   
It depends on exactly the type of land, but on average $1000/acre from what I understand.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
edit on 20-3-2019 by Fowlerstoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Hah … perfect response.

Illinois is a 'sanctuary state'. Missouri? Not so much. Go Missouri!

"State Sanctuary" for gun rights is a completely different bird

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I am a confused European. Can you help me out? I thought that federal law always supersedes state law. I read that even though certain states have legalised cannabis use, the Feds can still bust people.

Only for interstate commerce and transactions with foreign governments.
All the rest belong to the States.
Except for this "Implied Power" which is a bunch o crap and flies in the face of the Constitution of the United States of America. That document says it all.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

We take care of our own highways here, and we don't have any toll roads. Fed money doesn't mean much to Missourians. Now if we could get rid of the knuckleheads that control St. Louis we would have ourselves a near perfect State, and home owners wouldn't have to pull out their guns as often.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Wow, I think this is the first time in a long time I've been able to say I'm proud to have been born in Misery.......er, Missouri.......er, Misery.......meh, same thing. lol

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

originally posted by: shooterbrody
So it is now a "sanctuary state"?

Not quite, this bans federal law, while the "sanctuary" laws only stop enforcement of federal law because states and localities don't have to enforce federal law due to separations of power.

Vastly different things.

so both are designed to stop federal intrusion that the local people disagree with?

Lol
Ice free zone meet 2nd ammendment zone
One embraces criminals leaving jails
The other prevents the govt from taking inanimate objects

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy

I am a confused European. Can you help me out? I thought that federal law always supersedes state law. I read that even though certain states have legalised cannabis use, the Feds can still un laws.bust people.

You are not confused, you are just more informed than most. Our constitution says that Federal law is the supreme law of the land. This action by Missouri is a purely political ploy. The laws regulating firearms are federal laws. A state has no role in enforcing federal law. That is done by the feds through the ATF, FBI, DEA and US Attorneys. It would be the same as if Missouri said that residents there don't have to pay federal taxes. If you think that would stop the IRS from collecting taxes, then you would be a confused European. Missouri has no jurisdiction over federal gun laws.

Um if the feds abridge the 2nd they have the law on their side in that state. Youre off the mark.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 10:50 PM
link   
With the exception of 2 counties, the vast majority of Missourians support this 100%. Missouri has really been surprising these last couple of years.

Recently a law was passed state wide that police cannot arrest anyone within property where an ambulance has been called for a drug overdose.

Also medical MJ is coming soon.

Becoming a brilliant state. Like minded people are welcome here.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

We may want to keep quiet about our state, don't want to be a go to state for Californians and North Easterners, I saw what they did to Austin TX.

I'm moving out of St. Louis soon, and heading to the Boot Heel. Much more civilized down there.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 04:36 AM
link   
This will go exactly nowhere. You'll see. In ten years (assuming they haven't banned guns or rights (or both) or individuality (or all three)) we will still be having this "debate". Which isn't a debate because rights are not debatable by default. So if TPTB are telling you that we're engaged in a debate over your rights, they're telling you that you don't have any rights in their book. It's as simple as that.

This is a lost cause. The propaganda machine is not on your side. You will lose no matter what you do.
edit on 21-3-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   
If states can decide about the death penalty they sure can decide what level of gun control they want, if you feel strongly about the 2nd, get out of the states that have curtailed it, and move to places like Missouri.
Also since there is no border guard between states what is to stop anybody from going to Missouri to buy the weapon of their choice.

edit on 21-3-2019 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
This will go exactly nowhere. You'll see. In ten years (assuming they haven't banned guns or rights (or both) or individuality (or all three)) we will still be having this "debate". Which isn't a debate because rights are not debatable by default. So if TPTB are telling you that we're engaged in a debate over your rights, they're telling you that you don't have any rights in their book. It's as simple as that.

This is a lost cause. The propaganda machine is not on your side. You will lose no matter what you do.

Ok... and what is it that you suggest people do, just lay down an die? Sorry but that's just simply not an option most people will accept.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Witness2008

We take care of our own highways here, and we don't have any toll roads. Fed money doesn't mean much to Missourians. Now if we could get rid of the knuckleheads that control St. Louis we would have ourselves a near perfect State, and home owners wouldn't have to pull out their guns as often.

I'm glad that's the case. Also, Federal Highway funds are just like the rest of the "dole" money, it gets thrown into the big pot to be used however they want.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I don't much like the yearly personal property tax on vehicles, but at least it goes towards what is needed. What I have the biggest problem with is the dim wits that run the city. Politically correct waste. And the loyal dems get all the perks. A conservative mayor could turn the town around.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join