It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media matters, Tucker, and the ruination of public discourse

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Recently Media Matters has pushed forward audio from Tucker Carlson regularly calling into to shock jock Bubba the Love Sponge's show, and saying some shocking things.

www.mediamatters.org... 5

This has been picked up and ran by the Washington Post, CNN, Vox, and many many other media outlets, claiming that Tucker is a bigot and should suffer consequences, rather that be kicked off the air, lose sponsors, or be forced to apologize.

Tucker has decided to not apologize, and instead stand up to what he calls this mob justice.

Now full disclosure, I really like Tucker and he is one of the only msm personalities I regularly listen to, so I am looking at this from a place of bias.

However, I do think that Tucker is absolutely right in his stance, and we need more people like him, both on the left and right and anywhere in between, standing up to this sort of mob mentality seeking to dig up dirt from the past. And I think even people that dislike Tucker should stand with him here.

Media matters is an entire company dedicated to this sort of behavior. They target right wing public personalities, whether they be media people or politicians, and seek to dredge up dirt from their past in an effort to silence them. They are backed by wealthy Democrat people and groups, such as George Soros.

They are also tax exempt, and as Tucker pointed out on his show the other night, this seems to be a problem as they have actively worked with Democratic campaigns to attack Republicans, which makes them a political organization and not eligible for tax exempt status.

But aside from that, media matters represents the epitome of this organized effort to dig up dirt on people from their past.

Here is the truth; there is not one of us alive that at some point in our lives haven't said or done something that could be taken out of context, was said in jest, or maybe we no longer believe that could be used to attack us if dredged up.

What this does is ruin public discourse, and make sure that the only people left in the public sphere will be the ones that the bullies going after everyone else approve of.

Notice how the outrage is selectively applied. Joy Reid makes comments on her blog (which I defended her btw) and then lies about them saying she was hacked and is getting the FBI involved. Media matters and all of those against Tucker did not demand she be fired. (She should not have been fired, unless it was for lying about the comments saying she was hacked.)

Places like media matters and the establishment Democrats they represent are not content that almost every cultural institution of power is dominated by the establishment Democrats. 90% or more of the main stream media, academia, the entertainment industry, and silicon valley are ideological aligned with them, buts thats not enough. They need all opposition removed, and will seek use this mob mentality to silence all others.

Thats not to say Republicans can't play this game as well. In fact I have defended Al Franken, Ralph Northam, James Gunn, Tulsi Gabbard, Joy Reid and many others from these sort of attacks as well.

Its time for people on the right and left to stop bowing down to the faux outrage mob.

I don't care that Tucker said "shocking" things to a shock jock who tries to be funny; I dont care if people wore offensive costumes 30 years ago, I don't care if someone said offensive things on a blog a decade ago.

And neither do most people.

If we on the left, right or anywhere in between start standing up to this nonsense, maybe we can get back to discussing real issues in the public discourse.

edit on 13-3-2019 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Oh and I almost forgot the ironic part of the story.

Media matters, the group digging up this dirt?

Would it shock you to find out their President said some "offensive" things about Jewish people and transsexuals years ago?

dailycaller.com...

More proof this isn't about people actually being offended, its just about attacking enemies.

And those most vocal about judging people for words in their past are usually among the worst offenders.

Oh, and before someone asks, no I dont think this media matters guy should be punished for his words decades ago. Just showing the hypocrisy.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   

If it sells the corporations should do whatever they want. Get Howard Stern or some equivalent host to have explicit sex talk. Profit is more important than any other consideration.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Cant keep up on what to be mad at anymore... I didn't even know tucker made the news...

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
Cant keep up on what to be mad at anymore... I didn't even know tucker made the news...

Yeah the outrage culture moves os fast its hard to know who we are al supposed to hate this week.

Tucker is relevant because he is one of the first to refuse to apologize.

I think that once more people follow his lead, people will wake up to how absurd this outrage culture is.

At least thats my hope.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I think you are very much right on this point sir. For some reason it reminded me of something from long ago. Probably from before your time..

Jimmy the Greek...

That was awhile back, I was young, don't really recall if he was a sportscaster or more of an odds maker kinda guy. But a known sports personality. He was interviewed in like a diner and said some things that pretty much ruined his career... I want to say back in the late 70's??? So it is not a new phenomenon, just happens more... although that was not dug up from his past...

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
I think you are very much right on this point sir. For some reason it reminded me of something from long ago. Probably from before your time..

Jimmy the Greek...

That was awhile back, I was young, don't really recall if he was a sportscaster or more of an odds maker kinda guy. But a known sports personality. He was interviewed in like a diner and said some things that pretty much ruined his career... I want to say back in the late 70's??? So it is not a new phenomenon, just happens more... although that was not dug up from his past...

I remember the story of Jimmy the Greek well.

There is something especially nefarious about digging up stuff from the past, but even being "outraged" and offensive comments in the present and mobbing people is absurd.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Media Matters and the entire MSM are the reason that politics in the US is utterly pointless.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   
If we can no longer talk without fear of reprisal then freedom is a lost ideal.
It's really that simple.
One side of this argument will be shut down eventually.
History only has to repeat itself a million times before we notice.
edit on 13-3-2019 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I hate Carlson, Hannity and o'Reilly and all other arrogant, opinionated talking heads and their attempts to sway hearts and minds. These people are part of the problem and definitely not part of the solution. I say # 'em and the millions of dollars they "earn" each year.

ETA One persons opinion does not a balanced debate make.
edit on 13/3/19 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Even when I was registered Democrat I kept a healthy distance from media matters...

God forbid people change and learn. And God forbid the times ever change. Ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I completely agree with you on this. Though I will say that I still hold grudges against talking heads for things but I can recognize these and move forward.
Kinda like with Tucker. But I move forward and he is one of two shows that I do watch. The other being Ari Melber.
The point you bring up really needs some attention and folks to step back for a minute.

Sorry about the rush but am on mobile out the door at work.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
What he said wasn't too bad. It makes him look like a bigot and he sounds kind of stupid. Not sure why people listen to him.

He just seemed (openly) racist against muslims and ignorant on some other stuff. Typical old Republican crap..

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I remember the story of Jimmy the Greek well. There is something especially nefarious about digging up stuff from the past, but even being "outraged" and offensive comments in the present and mobbing people is absurd.

Is it? this website seems pretty focused and outraged at what AOC says these days... Half this website is focused on her.

outrage is pretty harsh word though....

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

I got for one rarely comment on her

But seeing as how she is becoming the defacto leader of the Dems, she is fair game if addressing her policies or comments

There is a difference between being “offended “ about a joke or something someone says and mobbing them to get them out of a job

Vs criticizing a major parties leaders for insane policies and statements

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Good O.P.. I didn't know much about Tucker Carlson, beyond what I see at night on FoxNews.

Sounds like Tucker needs to visit Republicans in Congress. He can teach them how to be brave leaders who back their President, and not "cower" when Democrats give them the finger...like Cummings and Nadler are doing this week.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
David Brock is the greasiest (literally), creepiest slime ball on the face of the earth.

Why hasn’t someone dug up the dirt on him yet?

Of course there are all types of rumors but there needs to be hard evidence.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Good O.P.. I didn't know much about Tucker Carlson, beyond what I see at night on FoxNews.

Sounds like Tucker needs to visit Republicans in Congress. He can teach them how to be brave leaders who back their President, and not "cower" when Democrats give them the finger...like Cummings and Nadler are doing this week.

Seems like you should be learned a few things dude. To me it seems like you kinda blindly follow you “dear leader” without question.
Time to buck up man and not be suck up follower and think for yourself.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   

We used to call those "fair balls" and played on.
We would never stop the game over it.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
I hate Carlson, Hannity and o'Reilly and all other arrogant, opinionated talking heads and their attempts to sway hearts and minds. These people are part of the problem and definitely not part of the solution. I say # 'em and the millions of dollars they "earn" each year.

ETA One persons opinion does not a balanced debate make.

Are there people on the Left who fit that criteria for you?

What sort of political disagreement or discussion is ok with you?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join