It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free copyright license available online!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Hi, this is just a quick post but I recently discovered that there is a website where you can get a copyright license for you work for free, you only have to fill out a couple of things and copy and paste the URL given into your website/blog, or whatever you want!

You can tag the work also, with your name, date, name of work, etc.

Here's a link to the website: creativecommons.org...

I just thought it could be useful to any writers who want to protect their work, as anyone who see's a copyright license will be more likely to think twice before trying to use your hard work!

Rory.

edit on 11-3-2019 by RoryRahl23 because: Misspelling

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: RoryRahl23

Thanks, so many writers, bloggers, screenwriters, developers are clueless about intellectual property rights.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I only recently began reading up about it myself, even a post on your blog could be enough for a potential publisher to pass on your story.

There's a website I joined recently, I should've included it into the OP, it's called Scribophile, and any work posted onto it isn't "Public", therefore it won't affect your story. People write critiques for your story, and you can do the same for others.

Lots of useful info' on there too!

Rory.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: RoryRahl23

Thanks, so many writers, bloggers, screenwriters, developers are clueless about intellectual property rights.

They certainly are, including those who think they need to fill out an online form to secure copyright. Your work is protected by copyright whether you fill out a form or not from the moment you produce it. Unless you specifically claim your work falls in "the public domain," it is protected. That's called "statutory copyright." Now you can state that your work is "Copyright (c) 2019 by Moon Beam" to remind people it is covered. No online form is required. And you can PROVE you own copyright by registering it with the Library of Congress for a nominal fee. You receive a nice little certficate attesting to that fact. The only reason to do that is so you can prove in court that you established the copyright at a certain date. That way no one can come in behind you at a later data and claim the copyright.

So talk about clueless, OP provides an excellent example.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Well I am new to writing, and thought that a show of a copyright infringement beside your work might be better than simply posting your work online and hoping people don't try to rip off your stuff.

But God forbid anyone ever tried to learn something or attempt to spread awareness...

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoryRahl23

Well I am new to writing, and thought that a show of a copyright infringement beside your work might be better than simply posting your work online and hoping people don't try to rip off your stuff.

But God forbid anyone ever tried to learn something or attempt to spread awareness...

Not the point. What awareness are you spreading? You are suggesting you can fill out an online form to secure copyright. That is simply NOT TRUE. It's fake news. I provided you the information on how copyright works and the ways you can secure and maintain it. But God forbid anyone ever attempted to spread awareness.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Yeah you're right about it being a better way of doing it, I don't have as good a concept of copyright and intellectual laws as you, I just thought that a copyright license might be useful beside any work that someone might want to put on their blog/website and not have to pay to do it is all.

How much is a nominal fee anyway?

I appreciate your input, I'm still figuring things out myself!

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoryRahl23
Hi, this is just a quick post but I recently discovered that there is a website where you can get a copyright license for you work for free, you only have to fill out a couple of things and copy and paste the URL given into your website/blog, or whatever you want!

You can tag the work also, with your name, date, name of work, etc.

Here's a link to the website: creativecommons.org...

I just thought it could be useful to any writers who want to protect their work, as anyone who see's a copyright license will be more likely to think twice before trying to use your hard work!

Rory.

Owner of many musical and literary copyrights...I've always thought a single-"originator"...a "who created it originally" copyright, is something we need.

This can be a great thing! Sharing is here to stay...even costing me royalties...a change is needed that doesn't negate who wrote what.

Thank you for posting

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

.even costing me royalties.

xD I love this line...

Yes I suppose the tag concept could be useful, to bloggers mainly since any stories posted online are more than likely to be passed by any publisher. So, MysteriousStranger, how did you start off writing? Do the musical or literary works pay off better?

And also what way do royalties work?

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Oh, boy...ok.....here I go..

I've got dozens, started filling 1969-70, was in bands, records-11 in top 10, band one of Billboards Top 100 Instrumental groups of all time. But, I digress.

Explaining how they work...that would take too much here...but here's a few things:

Royalties are based on who owns it and at what %...maybe the guitar player, and singer-bass player where 1 wrote it but bass helped...in a multitude of %.'s

International royalities in our/my case cover :

Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Netherlands...
North America, Canada, South America, Europe West to East all countries..
British Isles, Wales, England, Ireland, Scotland, some south in Africa, Middle East ( not much)...
Japan, China, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia...and on and on...with RUSSIA being the #1 bootlegger paying zero.

With Universal and Sony, all are handled from/thru them. I could get 2 cents or $2 on a play, or nothing based on how much or none of the rights I have singularily or part of, by agreement.

Music in the movies "Tommy Boy", "Trains, Planes and automobiles"...those? 1 time payment to the bandleader-copyright owner...but the "Sopranos" TV show paid $20,000 for useage of a single tune...(but they made $1,000,000's on releasing the series on DVD).

I recv quarterly anywhere from a few hundred to nothing some quarters...good years, bad years...and based on those agreed %s.

Mind you the publishing, distribution, lawyers (London, L.A., New York, Sydney)...everybody gets theirs 1st, then me/us...

3 books, 1 children's fairytale and another co-authorship for a famous rockers' biography...these are handled differently as per publisher...non self-published...in fact...1 was held up in London publishers office for almost 2 yrs...not published...but my personal legal fees are well over $11,000 (over 5 yrs of attempts)..

It's contracted if the work is published...they get $ first and once the $11k is settled(my co-author owes more)..then we recv our copyright shares.

*All of this means little now-a-days because when we wrote music in the 60-70-80's...the digital age wasn't expected nor was sharing...45's, albums, 8- tracks, cassettes, then computer files, sharing sites...we never anticipated the age of computers....

As to music? We are still selling in places like Japan, and in Great Britain....

**In conclusion to my lengthy attempt to explain here...as I said before...I always thought now-a-days there should be an "originator-1 time-copyright" filed to at least establish it's creator...so we all can share...tho now, the Itunes and Amazon deals treat us well.

(cont)
edit on 11-3-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   
(cont)

*All of this means little now-a-days because when we wrote music in the 60-70-80's...the digital age wasn't expected nor was sharing...45's, albums, 8- tracks, cassettes, then computer files, sharing sites...we never anticipated the age of computers....

As to music? We are still selling in places like Japan, and in Great Britain....

**In conclusion to my lengthy attempt to explain here...as I said before...I always thought now-a-days there should be an "originator-1 time-copyright" filed to at least establish it's creator...so we all can share...tho now, the Itunes and Amazon deals treat us well.

ETA: Not much difference between literary and musical rights...except music can pay some or all of a group pennies to $1,000's...based on who gets or not gets what, in shares.

You asked! In closing, I also own a Trademark which is a big deal-felony if used w/o permission.

Good luck to you...hope this helps clarify even just a bit.

Peace

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 04:02 AM
link   

WOW~!!!!! ha ha ... !! Such an honor to see you on the boards~!! (although I have no idea who the band might be with, but I might as I look at your profile picture)

Thank you for this ~!!! So interesting to see a blast from the past step up and post up on the realities of the music industry!!

I have a friend of mine request I be his band manger as of late last year, ....ugh. I said "sure....can't be that tuff to figure out...", but after scratching the surface for 3 months of research, attempting to understanding the whole 'music industry', it became clear, I think I'm over my head but, if I wasn't where's the fun in the challenge. LOL ...

Anyways, appreciate your post and the music you've brought to us though the years (still a big fan of the 70's 80's rock)

Wish you well my friend.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Komodo

WOW~!!!!! ha ha ... !! Such an honor to see you on the boards~!! (although I have no idea who the band might be with, but I might as I look at your profile picture)

Thank you for this ~!!! So interesting to see a blast from the past step up and post up on the realities of the music industry!!

I have a friend of mine request I be his band manger as of late last year, ....ugh. I said "sure....can't be that tuff to figure out...", but after scratching the surface for 3 months of research, attempting to understanding the whole 'music industry', it became clear, I think I'm over my head but, if I wasn't where's the fun in the challenge. LOL ...

Anyways, appreciate your post and the music you've brought to us though the years (still a big fan of the 70's 80's rock)

Wish you well my friend.

'welcome....I never was or now care to either promote or delve into either our or my music. Though certainly not hiding...I didn't join here for that.

Happy as an EMT/1st Responder...I don't do that either because aI have to...but because I love it, want to...and am needed to by my community.

Hard for some to understand I guess...but the spiritual, sensitive side of me has boxed in my past, collects royalties, performs or grants interviews only very occasionally...and I'm happy with that.

Same reason I often tag-out with "EMT"...or "Copyright holder"-or "Sensitive"...just to indicate my experience to/with any thread I reply to.

We live, we die, we try to make a difference in someway before we go.

The "manager" thing? Don't...its a fickle and cut-throat business at which most musicians fail, few succeed...and unless your very knowledgeable and aggressive... you probably would too.

Never to imply don't try...I never looked for success and fame, but it found us/me...God Bless and thanks, Best, M.S.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Wow, a lot of great info in there, and what an interesting life you've had. Who's the most famous person you've ever met?

I suppose instead of having to split % with band members, writers do it with their publishers? I've not gotten that far yet, but I remember reading a story where an author sold their story for 400k but had to pay their publisher half of anything they made.

I've heard Amazon and other websites mentioned a few times before, I definitely will look into it more I've a few stories on paper and even more potential ones snowballing around upstairs.

edit on 12-3-2019 by RoryRahl23 because: Misspelling

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   

*tears of deep gratitude * yes, I have the highest respect for EMT/Firefighters, without you, this world would be a very very God forsaken (literally) planet!!

Thx you for all you do and put up with, I have a personal story of encouragement of my baby girl when she was born, came out blue.

longer story short, after the somewhat cohearant mid-wife placed the 911 call, 60 secs of the call, brought 3 Firetrucks, (all fully mannd at the ready) their ambulance, and 3 more ambulances converged at the home birthing center.

A miracle had taken place shortly before they arrived, upon my wife at the time praying a prayer I never though she had, as my baby girl took in a sharp breath.

The 2nd miracle- 20+ first responders packed the tiny 2 room basement, after mins one of
Them looked at me and said “how’s dad?”....I totally lost it and broke down with no less than 5 surrounding me hugging me to let me know it was going to ok.

Thx you my friend. Thx you and to those on your shift, God hand protect you I’m all you do.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Komodo

Geez...how nice of you. It's supposed and expected to be a thankless job...so...thank you very, very much.

Once, the Captain sent 10 of our guys, himself and 3 trucks for me in AFIB...and I said in denial " Ok Capt..Ill get ckd out ltr" Nope. He tricked me, got there lights n sirens, chewing aspirins, nitro under tongue, i.v. started.

I still was in denial. He said and I quote "You don't understand. You're in my ambluance, on my i.v. and on my stretcher...and there are 10 of us...and only one of you. You're going...now".

He recvd an award for saving my life...and I'm forever in his debt, and close friends forever.

See? Even I'm thankful...but he just smiles...because...it's just what we do.

We respond, we react, we transport or not...and go to the next one....

I know on ATS I come off as sarcastic, cynical and sometimes appear as if I know it all...I try not to be...but I also try to provide helpful info, and my credential "tag" on each to indicate I know something about the topic...I sure don't know everything.

In life? We live, we die...and try to make a little difference while we're here...

Thank you so much again for the kind words. Stay well, best,

M.S.

new topics

top topics

join