It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US repeatedly defeated in high end wargames

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: FingerMan

I am aware of all of that. I'm also not going to just sit here and laugh off the thought of them defeating us in either scenario mentioned, just because of what we've done in the past.

Long term, fighting on our terms, sure, we would almost certainly be able to push them back and win. It's the short term fight on their terms that's questionable. Throw in everything else, like the political will to win, and civilian support, and I absolutely believe they could achieve their objectives and easily take both those areas.

GD

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Well the good news is that F-35 is shining in these games. It is an absolute game changer. The Navy is going through a transformative era- The Fords arn't going anywhere but stealhier platforms both large (future CG/DDG replacement) and small (unmanned drones) are going to change how they fight. The Air Force is kind of F'd. They screwed themselves on the whole F-22 thing, 180 airframes was never going to cut it, but there is hope. The hypersonics programs, new aim-240 and the quarterbacking ability of the F-35 is transformational. The Army is trying to transform as well- hopefully they don't have their nose bloodied before they pull it off. My beloved Corps is placing a huge emphasis on cyber, and on amphibious warfare.

What I'm getting at is 5 years from now, this would be an entirely different conversation, sadly, the world may not wait 5 years for us to get our s&!t together.
edit on 30-6-2019 by GD because: Typo

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: GD

There's a ton we haven't heard about in the AF that would radically change the situation. Like I said, long term, we'd own any opponent you care to name. The problem is that it takes time to get our forces in theater. Deny us that time, or, in the case of Taiwan, push our forces back where it's harder for them to even get to the fight, and things change. We haven't had the political will, or civilian support to actually fight a war since WWII. And Russia and China are well aware of that.

GD

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

You are absolutely right on the will to win. At Iwo Jima, there were 6,822 casualties with nearly 2,420 casualties in the first day. The total at Iwo was more than the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, combined. The day one total was higher than the total for Afghanistan. I also worry about the ROC- it would be incredibly bloody.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join