It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy International Women’s Day ladies

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Today. . . . .

We put women up on a pedestal. . . . . .

so we can look up their dresses. . . . . .

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Great, another stupid unnecessary "honorary" day for the people to ignore.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Happy Womans day!

I was raised by my mother and grandmother, both strong and gentle, it was the best childhood a person could ask for.

My mother is probably the strongest person I know, and stubborn as a mule. About five years ago she bought a piece of property in northern Ontario, right on a shallow but busy river. It had an old trailer with a roof and some extra rooms built off of it and a dilapidated shed. The owner assumed both would have to be torn down and removed by who ever purchased the land, but not my mom though. The first summer I helped her with a bunch of stuff, gutting some of the trailer, fixing the roof, getting a compost toilet setup, and a few other odds and ends. She spends every other week up there in the summers now, and she keeps on working on the property. This last summer she sent me pics of her and one of her friends crawling on top the dilapidated shed re shingling it. When she got back she told me that they had in fact re-framed the whole damn thing! She's 66!

Growing up with a grandmother around is a fantastic thing, not just because of the sourdough treats (I have a jar of sourdough in my fridge that is descended from her original 1970s starter), but because she was so smart and so full of love. She had been a teacher all her life, and even after she retired she continued tutoring kids that needed help. She could remember so much, for every situation in life she could quote a line from a book or a play that would apply and usually offer some gentle guidance. She helped to conjure the beast of music in me by giving me piano lessons when I was 6 or 7 and continued to nurture it even when she hated the music I was making, to this day playing is the only way I can calm myself down or get into a good mood when everything is going sideways. She died a 16 years ago, a week after my 19th birthday, I miss her so much. I make sourdough treats for myself now, using her old recipes, I usually cry a little, like I am right now.

This has been a very comforting and cathartic exercise for me, thanks for starting the thread!

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
a reply to: Boadicea

Do you celebrate the men that came before you (on international men's day, LOL)...

Of course I do!!!

...that protected the women and provided a house and way of life to those women too? Or is this simply a one sided appreciation?

I celebrate and appreciate them for many reasons... but you presume too much. It isn't always that simple. My paternal grandfather died when my dad was six months old during the Great Depression, leaving my grandmother and great-grandmother to raise my dad without benefit of a man in the house. For many years, my mom kept the home fires burning while my dad was working several hours away at Vandenberg. And I have done the same over the years while my husband was sent out of town for work... there's much more to making a home than just buying a house.

I haven't been happily married for 40 years because I don't appreciate my husband or other men. In fact, I doubt I could appreciate my wonderful hubby if I hadn't been blessed with such awesome examples in my life. But the best, happiest and most successful marriages are partnerships.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Malak777

You must be the life of the party...

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I am woman hear me meow! I have a lot to do today,pay some bills,
clean my house,cook and my washer is running at this very moment.
I think it might be in the rinse cycle about now.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Silly boy,most women wear pants!
edit on 8-3-2019 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody

You must be the life of the party...

Could that be the incel party?

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Another dumb "holiday."

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

"No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of its women and deprives itself of the contributions of half of its citizens." - Michelle Obama, Former First Lady of the United States

www.ndtv.com...

I wonder who Michelle Obama stole that quote off?
Oh wait, yes I know who she stole that quote from, I know his name

Deny ignorance

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I will not pat you on the back just for being a woman. I do not expect to have a pat on the back for being a guy. We are all just PEOPLE!

But Jewish women can't wear prayer shawls or pray in public at the wall like men. Yeah, gotcha.

Esther 9:29Then Esther the queen, the daughter of Abihail, and Mordecai the Jew, wrote with all authority to confirm this second letter of Purim. 30And he sent letters unto all the Jews, to the hundred twenty and seven provinces of the kingdom of Ahasuerus, with words of peace and truth, 31to confirm these days of Purim in their appointed times, according as Mordecai the Jew and Esther the queen had enjoined them, and as they had ordained for themselves and for their seed, in the matter of the fastings and their cry. 32And the commandment of Esther confirmed these matters of Purim; and it was written in the book.

Even though the woman Esther wrote the rules of Purim.

====================
Disclaimer:
I'm no fan of Purim, because it celebrates the killing of 75,000 people because of one man's evil plot. I don't celebrate collective punishment even if it is holy fiction.
edit on 8-3-2019 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   

To make up for my previous negative post.
My favorite Helen Reddy from Pete's Dragon.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Let's be very clear: Strong men - men who are truly role models - don't need to put down women to make themselves feel powerful. People who are truly strong lift others up. People who are truly powerful bring others together. Michelle Obama Read more at: www.brainyquote.com...

Deny ignorance

edit on 03CST11America/Chicago029111131 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody
Beautiful post, thanks for letting us know about the wonderful women in your life !

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: hombero

Do you identify with a prostitute from a popular fantasy television series? I ask because you have e the same name.

If so, the irony here could be cut with a knife.

😆 no I don’t identify with her. Never heard of her until you brought it up. I watch very little tv .

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea
Thank you for your well wishes as well as your lovely accolades to the wonderful women you had in your life.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I wonder who Michelle stole that quote off

Real women, strong women, women of worth value and acknowledge those who help them, who value them, who encourage them and support them, who fashion their opinions and grow them. They don’t steal from them to make themselves look good

Michelle Obama is a tjief, stealing to make herself look good.
I wouldn’t accept it from a man but it seems it’s ok for women to do that?

I want to put thieves in the light, hold them up to scrutiny, show other their lies because it’s truth.
You would prefer the lies are hidden so women look perfect?

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: InTheLight

I wonder who Michelle stole that quote off

Real women, strong women, women of worth value and acknowledge those who help them, who value them, who encourage them and support them, who fashion their opinions and grow them. They don’t steal from them to make themselves look good

Michelle Obama is a tjief, stealing to make herself look good.
I wouldn’t accept it from a man but it seems it’s ok for women to do that?

I want to put thieves in the light, hold them up to scrutiny, show other their lies because it’s truth.
You would prefer the lies are hidden so women look perfect?

It appears she did indeed create that quote - as written - at the Summit of the Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders 2014.

Throughout time many people have borrowed others' inspirational quotes, so if you truly mean what you say, you should start a thread and hold up all those people from time past to now that have borrowed others' quotes. I'd say you have your work cut out for you.
edit on 03CST12America/Chicago042121231 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 03CST12America/Chicago043121231 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Great, another stupid unnecessary "honorary" day for the people to ignore.

Lol, pretty much. What am I supposed to do, yell "I have a cooter, hear me roar! And prostrate at my feet what you're at it"?
Just because I have a vagina and boobs doesn't mean I need a holiday for feigned groveling purposes, that's just vapid at best. I don't see the need for a holiday to reaffirm my role as a parent (Mother's Day) so it makes equally little sense to have one to reaffirm my genitals, too.

If anything, all the invented holidays do is give us a good look at how empty we are -- we have to try to fill ourselves with shallow pats on the back days to distract from how crappy we feel. Distractions aren't solutions.
edit on 3/8/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join