It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Shootings in Black America

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: Edumakated

You haven’t had time to read the study I linked to. I’d be interested in seeing the “many” who have debunked the study. The study goes out of its way to include prior history in its data tables.

Furthermore, I point blank said the study points to several factors that are NOT institutional bias as being contributing factors for sentencing disparity. If White Guy gets 36 months for Crime A and Black Guy gets 52 months for Crime A because he has a criminal history, there is still a disparity between their sentences. Just because there’s an explanation for the disparity doesn’t mean no disparity exists.

The point is the disparity isn't racism... just because there are two groups with differing sentencing outcomes does not imply or mean that bias/racism exist. That is the point. There are many factors that could be the cause of the disparity.

Which is what I said. And what the study says. I’m not sure why you’re arguing, other than you feel like arguing or simply don’t understand my comments.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I honestly believe the study was commissioned to look at a particular issue, and specifically that issue, and found satisfactory answers to the supposed issue.

If the whole point of the study was to find institutional racism in sentencing, I don’t see why they would state a number of factors contribute to sentencing disparity. You guys are arguing as if the study says “yep there’s a disparity and it’s because of racial bias” when what it actually says is “yep there’s a disparity and there’s any number of potential reasons for it.”
edit on 7-3-2019 by Shamrock6 because: Typo

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

You haven’t had time to read the study I linked to. I’d be interested in seeing the “many” who have debunked the study. The study goes out of its way to include prior history in its data tables.

Furthermore, I point blank said the study points to several factors that are NOT institutional bias as being contributing factors for sentencing disparity. If White Guy gets 36 months for Crime A and Black Guy gets 52 months for Crime A because he has a criminal history, there is still a disparity between their sentences. Just because there’s an explanation for the disparity doesn’t mean no disparity exists.

The point is the disparity isn't racism... just because there are two groups with differing sentencing outcomes does not imply or mean that bias/racism exist. That is the point. There are many factors that could be the cause of the disparity.

definitely, I agree with ya, there's obviously many different factors that could cause these disparities.

The most obvious being that one group is more likely to be harassed & officially charged for a 'minor crime'... where as, the other group is more likely to have their 'minor crime' thrown down the drain, then told to go home.

Which at the end of the day, results in the first group being far more likely to be a repeat offender and receiving a far harsher sentence for so called 'minor crimes'.

It's kinda like a self fulfilling prophecy... if you think about.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

definitely, I agree with ya, there's obviously many different factors that could cause these disparities.

The most obvious being that one group is more likely to be harassed & officially charged for a 'minor crime'... where as, the other group is more likely to have their 'minor crime' thrown down the drain, then told to go home.

Which at the end of the day, results in the first group being far more likely to be a repeat offender and receiving a far harsher sentence for so called 'minor crimes'.

It's kinda like a self fulfilling prophecy... if you think about.

Only if you view it with a prior bias in one direction. Where are the studies that actually compare equivalent histories of the offenders? By initially looking for a disparity due to skin color, and not simply a disparity amongst offenders of the same class, then it is a biased foundation upon which you build supporting evidence.

It is confirmation bias from the start.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   
These are the sorts of results you get when you categorize by race. Except such groupings are as arbitrary as categorizing by height or weight or eye color. A more accurate picture might group according to moral foundation, upbringing, or anything that might impinge on matters of judgement.
edit on 7-3-2019 by NOS4A2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The average or normal IQ score for a white person is 100 while the average IQ score for a Black person is 85. With a score below 75 classifying a person as mentally retarded, it would seem that the average Black person is a lot closer to being retarded than being normal.
a reply to: NOS4A2

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
aristocratsofthesoul.com...

I'd say that a lot of police shootings are retaliation by blacks feeling wronged. There are legions of reasons why blacks moral compass's are wired that way. Even in their home country there are reasons that apply. and add a couple hundred years of deprevation and finally welfare help, there is no incentive to work or excel as productive citizens. There's a lot more, but I will not spend my time on them. I have been victim.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
The average or normal IQ score for a white person is 100 while the average IQ score for a Black person is 85. With a score below 75 classifying a person as mentally retarded, it would seem that the average Black person is a lot closer to being retarded than being normal.
a reply to: NOS4A2

IQ's are complete BS dude... I got my IQ tested once and scored 142.

Just read some of my posting history as evidence. There's absolutely no way in reality that I come anywhere even close to being that much more intelligent than the average person.

They just got me on a good day and I happened to ace their ridiculously flawed test!

I understand where you're going... But it just holds no credibility, imo.

I've met plenty of full blown aboriginals (who've been described as the most primitive race on earth by some), who just blew my mind about how intelligent they were... And I've met plenty of white people who just make me wonder how much times they got dropped on there head by their mother as a baby.

I highly doubt genetic predisposition has anything to do with the poverty and gang violence within US black communities... In general, we are all just a product of our environment.
edit on 7-3-2019 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DemonicCensorship

I'm from Chicago and I'm going to put it plainly.

You know when you fight with your siblings like cats and dogs and call each other names?
You know it's bad, but it's ok.

But.................if a kid down the street beats up your brother, or calls your sister ugly, it's on.

Same thing with Black on black violence, vs police violence.

Two totally different issues. They care about both, but view them in a different light.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   
These dilemmas are of the rich and poor varieties.

Rich people moved to the suburbs and ran from their metropolis cores... hiring police to enforce barriers between rich & poor... creating pressure cookers of poverty and struggle.

People claim black and white when the only color of relevance is green. To speak of black and white indifference speaks to the lack of truly knowing one side of the barriers or the other.

Rich don't know poor people's dilemmas and struggles while poor people don't know rich people's dilemmas, yet each side seems to speak about the other side of the barriers as if they truly know.

The rich not clearly addressing the dilemmas of green while letting the masses bicker back and forth about white & black is no different than running off to the suburbs as was done from the 50's and beyond.

* Crack was acceptable until it reached the rich houses.
* Parkland, FL, one of the richest towns in the U.S. loses their kids to gun violence, and it all must come to a stop NOW.
* A wall between illegals may seem as criminal, yet police being used as a barrier between rich & poor is desirable.

It should be simple, but U.S. prefers it backwards. Build the core up to healthy standards, then the dilemmas and dramas of being poor thin out as they spread out. The proper method of working inner to outer would yield that white and black people actually love each other as we are all humans. The U.S. works outer to inner, so the love suffers dearly... masking a drama of green as white and black.

It's sad to watch green cause color blindness as a primary side affect...

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: narrator

I agree 100% with individual officers maintaining their honesty and integrity. The problem in Chicago stems from a culture of "looking the other way" within the entire police department...and blessed by mayor Rahm Emmanuel himself.

The city invites illegal aliens to come here, as a show of "compassion". Imagine that.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join