It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Shootings in Black America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
According to census.gov, the US population is around 328 million. Of that number, it’s estimated that at least 47 million are Black or African American. Even further, about 23 million Black or African Americans are male. With that out of the way, I'll get right to the point.

There were 15 shooting deaths by police of unarmed black men in the United States in 2018, according to official data compiled by The Washington Post.

Note: The article states 15 – WAPO reports 18

That number pales in comparison to the amount of deaths attributed to black on black violence and abortion. Ironically, WAPO also reports that 23 unarmed white people were murdered by police.

In comparison:

Data from the Federal Bureau of Investigation showed that in 2017, there were 2,627 murders of blacks by other blacks in the United States.

This equates to the amount of lives lost due to the collapse of the Wold Trade Center, if it happened annually. As the article explains, the statistics don’t support the narrative. Many will not fact check the media, and even then, will remain in a state of disbelief.

Year after year, the statistics don’t support that narrative, and 2018 was no exception. The political left in America incessantly characterizes the police and the country itself as racist, in part based on the occurrence of police shootings, even with the statistically paltry numbers of officer-involved shooting deaths.

And while they routinely rile their base by mischaracterizing police shooting data as they engage in demagoguery of political opposition, they ignore a real crisis within the black community—the thousands of blacks who are shot every year by non-police.

Black lives only matter when their deaths can fuel a political agenda. Three of the largest cities in America served as battlegrounds, where 620 black people were murdered last year. Aside from their families and loved one, nobody seemed to care.

It’s precisely this lack of attention to the biggest problem concerning violence in black communities that leads many to suspect that, for Democrats, black lives don’t really matter, just black votes.

“The vogue commentary of the liberal left in the 21st century is to drone on about the many failures of the white devils. Those evil white supremacists who are invariably described as conservative Republicans,” Tamara Enalls-Fenner, author of “How the Democrats Destroyed the Black Community … and No One Noticed” told me in an interview.

“It’s a dog bone thrown by the dog whisperers of today, calling for an attack on an entire group of people who have nothing to do with the [15] shootings of unarmed black men who fell prey to the weapon of a police officer in 2018.”

Only 0.01 percent of murdered blacks in America are related to shootings that involved a police officer. Alternatively, 99.99 percent of murders that involve blacks are non-police related.

The police are not entirely innocent and all unnecessary deaths are a tragedy. I can only hope that progress is being made to produce better outcomes and less death. As for the political aspect, wake up and stop spreading the hate.

edit on 7-3-2019 by DemonicCensorship because: fixed link

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DemonicCensorship

Blue lives matter:

"Anyone who is hurt, go see Kyle the medic. See Kyle. See Kyle!"

edit on 7-3-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

That numbers pales in comparison to the amount of deaths attributed to black on black violence. Since there are too many to make a media spectacle over, the tragedy will go largely unnoticed.

Yeah, there's obviously a huge issue with violence within black communities in the US that needs to be addressed and never seems to get much MSM attention.

Still though, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Afterall, it's pretty well established that black people are generally treated far more harshly by police than their caucasian peers. It's also an established fact that black people are far more likely to be incarcerated than white people for committing equivalent crimes.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Black live only matter when their deaths can fuel a political agenda.

Chicago is proof of that.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This violence is a race issue. Until the black community Is held accountable nothing will ever change. Look up the FBI crime statistics, it’s not poverty or harsh treatment by cops. Or guns and jail populations.. it’s a messed up “culture where bling and baby daddy’s are glorified almost as much as violence.. sorry if the facts hurt any college educated folk/SJW’s
edit on 3 073207 1919 by WUNK22 because: Spell

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

That numbers pales in comparison to the amount of deaths attributed to black on black violence. Since there are too many to make a media spectacle over, the tragedy will go largely unnoticed.

Yeah, there's obviously a huge issue with violence within black communities in the US that needs to be addressed and never seems to get much MSM attention.

Still though, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Afterall, it's pretty well established that black people are generally treated far more harshly by police than their caucasian peers. It's also an established fact that black people are far more likely to be incarcerated than white people for committing equivalent crimes.

Neither one of those two points are well established.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Those are the talking points that CNN gives them. So that's what they parrot.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

The stats provided to you are likely skewed.

They classify perceived weapons as being armed. Just like the guy holding a cell phone.

Police do not mind shooting white folks either and blacks seem to stand up against the deaths more than whites.

I do not think the answer is to try to claim death by cop while being black is not a big deal but i think a better approach should be to be equally outraged when death bu cop while being other races will help the overall problem police have with not having deescalation training and directives.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Yes. And in Chicago, police know who the shooters are, because of thousands of hi-definition cameras in the at-risk neighborhoods. But the arrest rate is only 18%.

Because the police have to live in the city, they are (imo) intimidated into silence by the gang leaders... or paid to look the other way.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I’d say sentencing is pretty well established as having a disparity. BJS commissioned a study that found disparity in sentencing across races. It also indicated a number of potential causes other than racism. But, cops don’t sentence people so it’s an entirely relevant point to the OP.

“Black people are far more harshly treated by police than white people and that’s pretty well established” is a pretty vague statement, and incredibly broad, and I suspect that’s done intentionally.

The bottom line is that the media driven narrative that there’s an epidemic of racially motivated extra-judicial killings by law enforcement is blatantly false. Rather than discuss that, some folks would rather jump on the whataboutism train.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Yes. And in Chicago, police know who the shooters are, because of thousands of hi-definition cameras in the at-risk neighborhoods. But the arrest rate is only 18%.

Because the police have to live in the city, they are (imo) intimidated into silence by the gang leaders... or paid to look the other way.

I think this is a different issue entirely, but should definitely be mentioned.

I think it boils down to...there are a lot of police officers that have no business being police officers to begin with.

I mean no disrespect to cops, I have several family members that serve on different police forces, and I'm forever in debt to all who protect and serve.

Having said that...if you're applying to be a cop in Chicago (or Baltimore, Detroit, etc), then you shouldn't be able to be intimidated into silence by a criminal. You know what the job entails going into it, why choose that profession if you're so scared of the potential outcomes that you end up going against the duties you swore to uphold?

Police officers need to be better trained, better vetted, and more organized all around.

Again, no disrespect to all of those who protect and serve. It's when they violate that duty when I have a problem with them.
edit on 7-3-2019 by narrator because: added a word

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Actually, I originally got my "talking points" from watching 'war on drugs' documentaries... long before I ever had cable tv.

Reporters examined the number of marijuana complaints sent through 911 or the city’s 311 help line from predominantly white neighborhoods and predominantly black or Hispanic neighborhoods in New York City. They then compared the number of marijuana arrests in those neighborhoods.

They found that black New Yorkers and, to a lesser degree, Hispanic New Yorkers were more likely to be arrested for marijuana-related offenses than white residents, despite government surveys finding that black and white people use marijuana at similar rates. “Across the city, black people were arrested on low-level marijuana charges at eight times the rate of white, non-Hispanic people over the past three years,” the reporters noted. The Hispanic arrest rate was roughly five times that of whites.

The NYPD has argued that these disparities are the result of people in predominantly black and Hispanic neighborhoods placing more calls about marijuana. But the NYT analysis argues that more calls from these neighborhoods isn’t the cause of the difference. When reporters directly compared black neighborhoods and white neighborhoods with a similar number of complaints about marijuana, they found that far more arrests took place in the black neighborhoods. When arrests did take place in white neighborhoods, they disproportionately affected the small number of black and Hispanic people living in those areas.

www.vox.com...

But yeah, I've been brainwashed by CNN... Whatever helps you sleep better at night, mate.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I’d say sentencing is pretty well established as having a disparity. BJS commissioned a study that found disparity in sentencing across races. It also indicated a number of potential causes other than racism. But, cops don’t sentence people so it’s an entirely relevant point to the OP.

“Black people are far more harshly treated by police than white people and that’s pretty well established” is a pretty vague statement, and incredibly broad, and I suspect that’s done intentionally.

The bottom line is that the media driven narrative that there’s an epidemic of racially motivated extra-judicial killings by law enforcement is blatantly false. Rather than discuss that, some folks would rather jump on the whataboutism train.

It isn't well established. Many have debunked that BJS study and criticized it has having too shallow of analyses. I always tend to be wary because a lot of these stats for "studies" are done with very poor methodology. In addition, there is a large bias in that they structure study to prove a narrative.

Here is a piece that discusses some of the issues. The biggest issue in sentencing disparity is prior criminal record.

Institutional Racism in Justice System

For example, white guy gets caught with a dime bag. Say he gets 1 probation. Black guy gets caught with same dime bag but gets five years. What they leave out is black guy was already on probation for other offenses. So it just wasn't the same crime that netted the longer sentence, but that is how it might look in the data unless you dig deeper.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Interesting OP and interesting statistics.

But................

Sorry to say, I'd guess that for one reason or another or multiple reasons.............many of the ATS membership has simply moved on.

That's particularly true, I'd guess, for white male ATS members. Why? We've had it drummed into our heads by the Leftist MSM that we are racist because.............we're white males, for so long that our "race" button has been altogether and entirely disconnected. There's really nothing left to discuss.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: watchitburn

Actually, I originally got my "talking points" from watching 'war on drugs' documentaries... long before I ever had cable tv.

Reporters examined the number of marijuana complaints sent through 911 or the city’s 311 help line from predominantly white neighborhoods and predominantly black or Hispanic neighborhoods in New York City. They then compared the number of marijuana arrests in those neighborhoods.

They found that black New Yorkers and, to a lesser degree, Hispanic New Yorkers were more likely to be arrested for marijuana-related offenses than white residents, despite government surveys finding that black and white people use marijuana at similar rates. “Across the city, black people were arrested on low-level marijuana charges at eight times the rate of white, non-Hispanic people over the past three years,” the reporters noted. The Hispanic arrest rate was roughly five times that of whites.

The NYPD has argued that these disparities are the result of people in predominantly black and Hispanic neighborhoods placing more calls about marijuana. But the NYT analysis argues that more calls from these neighborhoods isn’t the cause of the difference. When reporters directly compared black neighborhoods and white neighborhoods with a similar number of complaints about marijuana, they found that far more arrests took place in the black neighborhoods. When arrests did take place in white neighborhoods, they disproportionately affected the small number of black and Hispanic people living in those areas.

www.vox.com...

But yeah, I've been brainwashed by CNN... Whatever helps you sleep better at night, mate.

Again, shallow analyses, which of course, is par for the course for leftist and math....

The answer is racism... it couldn't possibly be blacks/hispanics smoke weed more in public and thus are more likely to be arrested for said offense.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   

They aren't intimidated into silence...............the gang controlled parts of Chicago are mostly on the south side. It isn't that they are intimidated. Its that they simply don't give a crap. Their job as they see it is to protect the downtown business interests and the corridors traveled by office workers into and out of the DT area.

Can't say I blame them; for every shooter/gang member they arrest, 3 more come in to take their place.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

They aren't intimidated into silence...............the gang controlled parts of Chicago are mostly on the south side. It isn't that they are intimidated. Its that they simply don't give a crap. Their job as they see it is to protect the downtown business interests and the corridors traveled by office workers into and out of the DT area.

Can't say I blame them; for every shooter/gang member they arrest, 3 more come in to take their place.

Yup. As long as the savages keep that sh*t on the south and west sides of the city, no one cares.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   

You haven’t had time to read the study I linked to. I’d be interested in seeing the “many” who have debunked the study. The study goes out of its way to include prior history in its data tables.

Furthermore, I point blank said the study points to several factors that are NOT institutional bias as being contributing factors for sentencing disparity. If White Guy gets 36 months for Crime A and Black Guy gets 52 months for Crime A because he has a criminal history, there is still a disparity between their sentences. Just because there’s an explanation for the disparity doesn’t mean no disparity exists.

ETA - just so it’s crystal clear: I am not arguing that a racial disparity exists in sentencing due to racial bias. I am also not going to accept that no disparity exists in sentencing, though. As I said, if two people get two different sentences for the same crime then there is, by definition, a disparity in the sentencing. What I’m pointing out that there is any number of factors that contribute to that disparity.
edit on 7-3-2019 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   

You haven’t had time to read the study I linked to. I’d be interested in seeing the “many” who have debunked the study. The study goes out of its way to include prior history in its data tables.

Furthermore, I point blank said the study points to several factors that are NOT institutional bias as being contributing factors for sentencing disparity. If White Guy gets 36 months for Crime A and Black Guy gets 52 months for Crime A because he has a criminal history, there is still a disparity between their sentences. Just because there’s an explanation for the disparity doesn’t mean no disparity exists.

The point is the disparity isn't racism... just because there are two groups with differing sentencing outcomes does not imply or mean that bias/racism exist. That is the point. There are many factors that could be the cause of the disparity.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Do you honestly think that if the study found that "Prior offenders receive higher sentences for the same crime as first offenders" would carry the same weight and impact as implying the color of their skin?

By listing the skin color, it is implying a racial connection where there may not be one based upon the details in the data. That is how statistics are skewed to push a narrative, falsely.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join