It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen McSally says she was raped in the Air Force by a superior officer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Sen. Martha McSally, the first female fighter pilot to fly in combat, disclosed during an emotional Senate hearing on Wednesday she was "preyed upon and then raped" in the Air Force by a superior officer.

The Arizona Republican, who served 26 years in the Air Force, made the disclosure during a Senate hearing on sexual assault allegations in the military. McSally said she didn't report the assault because she didn't trust the system, and was ashamed and confused.

McSally did not name the officer

Somebody is quaking in his boots right about now (if he's still alive).

This happened to McSally many years ago. She served in the Air Force from 1988 to 2010.

It boggles my mind that someone who gets raped would choose not to report it at the time it happened. But, we are all different, I guess, in the way we respond to things. She felt at the time that she "could not trust the system and was ashamed and confused".

Should she reveal the person that raped her years ago?

edit on 6-3-2019 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   
If she has real evidence (a soiled blue dress....or other DNA stained garment) go ahead and make the name public.

If no evidence exists, suffer in silence, like you have already done these many years.

edit on 6-3-2019 by fm258 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2019 by fm258 because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: fm258
If she has real evidence (a soiled blue dress....or other DNA stained garment) go ahead and make the name public.

If no evidence exists, suffer in silence, like you have already done these many years.

I rather agree with this. Otherwise, it becomes another he-said-she-said fiasco. That's why I'm so adamant that women report a rape at the time it happens.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I am not a woman but I can see how a woman would not report a rape, look at how many kids were molested by the Catholic Church and never reported it
shame, confusion, not wanting the world to know your story etc etc

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I rather agree with this. Otherwise, it becomes another he-said-she-said fiasco. That's why I'm so adamant that women report a rape at the time it happens.

This is sooo right. It makes the chances of a successful conviction much more likely and gets monsters dealt with instead of being allowed to keep doing what they do to other women.

It would provide DNA evidence of some sort for sure and also any physical bruising and other physical evidence relating to the assault.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   
So....she continued on to a distinguished career in the USAF, even though this is suppose to have happened.

Or is this more "MeToo" bandwagon jumping?.

You know, rape is not only hiding the sausage in the bread roll, or driving the train into the tunnel.
It could be "Digital Rape", or Someone touching her accoutrements.

How do we not know that the tryst wasn't mutual at the time....you know, this was the time of "Top Gun" and "Officer and a gentlemen" Movies.

All This rubbish is a beatup, like saying someone stole my crayons in school, now you want to sue them (for millions of course).

If the incident was Sooooo horrible and life destroying at the time, she had an obligation to report it.

Seems it didnt affect her.....she went on to fly the need for speed machines, and leech onto the Government Gravy Train in politics.

edit on 6-3-2019 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I am all for reporting such.

However due to the timing she may have been really wise not to in this case.

Imagine the talking points that could have surrounded a case like this 10 or 15 yrs. ago.

It could have actually held back women serving if they managed to make her look like a fool and a liar.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

She should absolutely reveal the person, whether it's her commanding officer or not. Now don't get me wrong, I completely understand when she says that she doesn't trust the system and that she was confused at the time, for I've been in the military and had a corrupt as # drill sergeant and commanding officer, but it doesn't matter - whether your in the military, at a party, walking down the street, or on a vacation in the freakin Bahamas, the rapist should be identified so that they can get prosecuted for it. I have absolutely no tolerance for that crap. Hell if it was up to me, he should be raped the same way and then slaughtered.
When I joined the U.S. Army in 2015, this was a major topic that was talked about and implemented - all throughout basic training and AIT, and it's sad it has to be that way.
My condolences to her.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This is not surprising.

I had to burn a few soldiers in my time for sexual harassment and assault.

Sometimes it seems like I was the only one to ever take the policy seriously.

My heart goes out to her, and yes, I believe every word she spoke on this matter. I've seen too much in my time in the army to disregard what she's telling us here.
edit on 6 3 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   
My problem is that "rape" nowadays seems to be a woman regretting a booty call after the fact...

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: gort51

So....she continued on to a distinguished career in the USAF, even though this is suppose to have happened.

I helped two female soldiers through their ordeal after being raped. Both are still in the Army serving admirably.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   

No I don't agree with your statement.
She choose to stay silent, and it doesn't appear that she is naming anyone. She is however, using her experience to
improve things so people feel they can come forward and get real help. To me that is the absolute best outcome. Be the change you want to see.

McSally did not name the officer, but said she shares in the disgust of the failures of the military system and many commanders to address sexual violence. She said that's why the public must demand that higher-ranking officials be part of the solution.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The problem nowadayws is you can sleep with a women and everything's fine. One day she pops and claims it's rape and she's been mentally scarred since.... No way to prove one way or another..

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   
What I'm about to say may be controversial, but I think maybe it's why some women don't come forward and report a sexual assault. Are there two types of rape?

When I think of rape, I think of a violent attack and physical assault where a woman tries to fight the assailant off with all she's got. She will have physical injuries to show for her effort.

But, rape may also be when two people are engaged in an affectionate and/or romantic encounter, and as it progresses the male becomes forceful and either misreads the female's resistance, or responds aggressively to the point of force.

This is where I have a problem with some women. If she does not want the encounter to progress to the point of sexual intercourse, why doesn't she fight? How does she get up the next day, go to work as usual, and stay silent?

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

It boggles my mind that someone who gets raped would choose not to report it at the time it happened. But, we are all different, I guess, in the way we respond to things. She felt at the time that she "could not trust the system and was ashamed and confused".

Under those circumstances, under military rules and military chain of command, knowing the power for retaliation he held over her, knowing the gross mishandling of such reports previously, etc., I can understand. The article expands on this later:

But, McSally added that she had also "witnessed so many weaknesses in the processes involving sexual assault prevention, investigation, and adjudication"...

So she had good reason to know what would happen to her if she did report it. She had a right to heal and process it before reporting it and receiving the wrath she knew was coming. And it seems she did just that.

"I stayed silent for many years, but later in my career, as the military grappled with the scandals, and their wholly inadequate responses, I felt the need to let some people know I too was a survivor," she said, choking up as she detailed what had happened to her. "I was horrified at how my attempt to share generally my experiences was handled. I almost separated from the Air Force at 18 years of service over my despair. Like many victims, I felt like the system was raping me all over again."

If she had reported it immediately, it might have broken her beyond all repair. While her response may not be optimal or ideal, she didn't ask to be raped by her superior, and she had every right to do what she needed to do for herself before coming forward. And it seems that she has and is using her experiences to guide her to more effective advocacy:

...which motivated her "to make recommendations to Air Force leaders, shaped my approach as a commander, and informed my advocacy for change while I remained in the military and since I have been in Congress." Then McSally revealed her own experience with abuse -- as she said she would use her "voice and unique experience to work on this mission to stop military sexual assault for good."

It's absolutely despicable and abhorrent that this is even a problem in our military. Absolutely shameful.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Shame on her for not reporting it. She is now a US Senater, go cut his balls off, in public.
edit on 6-3-2019 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
What I'm about to say may be controversial, but I think maybe it's why some women don't come forward and report a sexual assault. Are there two types of rape?

I think there may be several types of rape, but I get your point. I think women often find themselves/put themselves in compromising positions, or situations that can easily be taken advantage of. I think the attacker wants it that way, because it's that much easier to claim it was consensual.

This is where I have a problem with some women. If she does not want the encounter to progress to the point of sexual intercourse, why doesn't she fight?

I'm sure many do, I want to say even most do. I would think it's survival instinct. But I'm also sure some freeze in terror. I'm sure some rationalize that if she just cooperates she'll be okay. And I'll bet some attackers get them by surprise and they don't have a chance to fight. It might be a lot of things.

How does she get up the next day, go to work as usual, and stay silent?

Fear. Trauma. Shock. Confusion. Dissociation. Again, I think it could be many things and more likely a combination of things.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Yes it is. The culture sucks. When it isn't being ignored, the SHARP program is being weaponized. Real cases are taken seriously, but only after a million red flags and incidents that lead up to, but do not initially commit rape/sexual assault. Something really does need to be done and it needs to happen yesterday.

In AIT we had a California guardsman stalk and harass the female soldiers. I did something about it by gathering the female soldiers and talking to them on weekend release about the incidents. Went to the platoon sergeant and went up the chain. That prick is still in the CA Guard. We had a lot of evidence including photos and recorded audio of his harassing behavior. But, because they didn't want to make waves, they swept it under the rug, and the prick graduated AIT a class behind mine.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: fm258

Lock him up!

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Shame on her for not reporting it. She is now a US Senater, go cut his balls off, in public.

He's probably shuddering right about now. I wonder if she told her friends or family members about it when it happened. There was no social media at the time, nor smart phones to text a friend. But, did she talk about it to anyone, I wonder.
He's probably wondering the same thing right about now.

ETA: I'm assuming this happened in the 90's, but since she served to 2010, maybe there were text msgs. and social media discussions if it happened within the last decade or so.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join