It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2019 Avalon Airshow Arrivals | Australian International Airshow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   
For those who like to see some birds:

2019 Avalon Airshow Arrivals | Australian International Airshow

Featured aircraft: A320s, A330s, A400s, B52s, C2s, C17s, C130s, F22s, G/A18s, KC135s and more!

Just passing a link i found on youtube. No affiliation, all credits to HD Melbourne Aviation

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

It was a bad show for the US. The C-17 ate a bird on takeoff for its flying display, and word is that the B-52 that did a flyover had to land and damaged a wingtip hitting taxi lights going to parking.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thats sad. Although i was under the impression military jet engines are capable of eating small birds, i guess the protocol makes them abort mission?

Edit: My wording in the OP about seeing "Birds" ... well.. i'm sorry.

About the B52 , why did it had to land?
edit on 5-3-2019 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

They can to a degree, but it caused a compressor stall which is an automatic engine change, and since it was for a show there was no need to push it.

Best guess is they lost a tanker and didn't have the fuel to get back to Anderson. It wasn't actually said why though.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I found footage of the bird strike:

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: EartOccupant
Although i was under the impression military jet engines are capable of eating small birds,

These were Australian small birds. Australia has the five most deadly small birds in the world.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I laughed out loud!

( Disclaimer: because nobody actually died, well .. the bird.. but you get my point )

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I guess "They lost a tanker" is some kind of paraphrase ?

Not wanting to go wild here... but how do you lose a tanker in peace time?

edit: Forget the question. Priorities, problems, and not so sure about peace time.
edit on 5-3-2019 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Driving in to work this morning at KSA I noted a what appeared to be either a Marine or USAF C-130J moored in the VIP parking area. It was to early in the morning light wise and I was concentrating on driving through the roadworks zone to get an ID. Maybe it was down there in Avalon and was transiting back up north, or it had flown in a replacement engine for the C-17?

EartOccupant, regardless of whether its civil or military, birds and small animals like rabbits (for which Avalon is renown) make short work of fan blades, Inlet Guide Vanes(IGV'S) and compressors. The C-17 is powered by a version of a commercial P&W engine used on the 757 so its nothing special. To cut a long story short, regardless of what it is, if you ingest a bird or small furry animal (ahh.. I remember those cold winter mornings at Avalon watching the rabbits eating in the sheep paddock next to Hangar 6) you need to carry out inspections and possibly boro's if you think it went down the core. So no flying that day at the very least.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   

They break, priorities change, scheduling issues due to a delay causing their crew rest to go long, etc. There are a number of reasons it can happen. It might have been a bomber problem too, but those were always pretty rare when I dealt with them.

new topics

top topics

join