It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We must say, like the prodigal son: 'Father, I have sinned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Pope Francis is set to address the Catholic Church at the close of a landmark Vatican summit on a sexual abuse crisis that has devastated lives in countries across the globe.

He has warned victims to lower their expectations, saying that much of the work on tackling abuse would be done post-summit.But survivors will be watching his speech closely for signs of change.

Pope Francis began the four-day meeting by calling for "concrete measures" and handing 114 senior bishops a roadmap to shape the debate on how to stop child sex abuse by priests.This included drawing up mandatory codes of conduct for priests, training people to spot abuse, and informing police.

Yesterday, he led those gathered in a penitential liturgy, saying: "We must say, like the prodigal son: 'Father, I have sinned'".

In a nod to those bishops - particularly from Asia and Africa - who have persisted in denying child sex abuse is a problem in their countries, he called on all present "to look honestly at the situation in our countries and our own actions".

German Cardinal Reinhard Marx admitted that "files that could have documented the terrible deeds and named those responsible were destroyed, or not even created".

The admission sparked an angry reaction from the international association ECA (Ending Clerical Abuse), which criticised the destruction of such documents "illegal" and called for an investigation.

Those gathered heard testimonies from victims, one of whom was forced to have three abortions after being abused for years by a priest who beat her, while another said he had been molested more than 100 times.

Cardinal Blase Cupich of Chicago said new legal procedures were needed to deal with those either accused of abuse or of protecting alleged perpetrators, and insisted lay experts should be involved in every step.

He said transparent new structures were needed to ease both the lodging of allegations and the removal of the guilty from office.

Telling the public about the number and type of investigations under way would help counter mistrust, the cardinals said.

The Vatican has in the past refused to hand over internal documents about abuse cases to police investigating paedophilia.

The Church had to "recognise that the enemy is within", Cardinal Jose Horacio Gomez said on Thursday.

"The damage caused is so deep, the pain inflicted is so profound, the consequences of the abuses that have taken place in the Church are so immense that we will never be able to say that we have done all that can be done," he said.

ibb.co...

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DpatC

Lol, it is a bit more serious than a misguided gamblin' son of a gun asking Daddy to take him back in on this occasion.

The parable you chose here really does not befit the crime. Think about it???

A much better saying from Jesus would be this,

Matthew 18:6 King James Version (KJV) 6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Now that is more befitting the crime, don't you think?

I think your thread is being far too limp. You are not appreciating just how serious and life ending this is for the RC Church. I will have nothing to do with it for the rest of my life. The young people will not want to go near it and without new blood it will quickly perish at the bottom of the ol' deep blue!

I think you fail to comprehend that CHILD ABUSE destroys people utterly and it is very common in the RC Church. It destroys people mentally and emotionally and blights their whole lives. Appreciate that before you make this choice with a half-hearted and flippant mismatch of parable. I have known a few women who destroyed their own lives and then killed themselves because of child abuse. My ex wife was one of them! That is why I get in a "whirling Dervish" about this issue, because I have seen what those animals have done to people in the way that it affects their whole lives.

You are not appreciating the seriousness of this. It is not a matter of slapping hands for this. It is a matter of criminal law and these offenders must be punished according to the laws of the states in which the offenses took place.

For me the RC Church is finished. The earth would be much better off if it no longer and never had existed. It is up to G-D what HE does about it, but I bet you all my $ it would be better if they had a millstone tied round 'em and were dropped of the cliffs at Land's End.

Preaching and Bible analysis is not your strength. You are going ahead running before you can walk. You need to read more before you come to the public like this. You do my Faith no credit releasing amateur limp rhetoric like this before the public after such a serious WORLD CRIME ON THE WHOLE WORLD'S CHILDREN.

Wake up, dummies! The bastards have been abusing your children all over the globe.

Really, what a lame choice of parable. It has nothing to do with this CRIME. I really think they are finished because they will not even own up to it or take appropriate action. Even the Pope does not seem to understand what a # up this is. He is in denial and not matching the crime with anything like the depth of emotional response and institutional response. This makes me think her really does not care all that much and is just another Pope Bull#ter the Umpteenth!

edit on 24-2-2019 by Malak777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 04:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: DpatC

Pope Francis began the four-day meeting by calling for "concrete measures" and handing 114 senior bishops a roadmap to shape the debate on how to stop child sex abuse by priests.This included drawing up mandatory codes of conduct for priests, training people to spot abuse, and informing police.

Isnt that a bit like the *blind leading the blind*? or * the guilty teaching the

innocent*?

New legal procedures were needed to deal with those either accused of abuse of protecting alleged perpetrators, and insisted lay experts should be involved in every step.
He said transparent new structures were needed to ease both the lodging of allegations and the removal of the guilty from office.
Telling the public about the number and type of investigations under way would help counter mistrust, the cardinals said.
The Vatican has in the past refused to hand over internal documents about abuse cases to police investigating paedophilia.
The Church had to "recognise that the enemy is within"
The damage caused is so deep, the pain inflicted is so profound, the consequences of the abuses that have taken place in the Church are so immense that we will never be able to say that we have done all that can be done,"

NO BODY.....

NO BODY HOW EVER HIGH THEIR RANKING SHOULD BE ABOVE THE LAW.

edit on 24-2-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Thats the funniest thing I ever heard that church makes a mockery of it's flock blatantly yet people still believe the crap they say,of course he will say something to deflect from himself and his minions

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 05:30 AM
link   

That's the funniest thing I ever heard that church makes a mockery of it's flock blatantly yet people still believe the crap they say,of course he will say something to deflect from himself and his minions

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Malak777

That’s probably the best post ever on ats, thanks
I agree

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

That's the funniest thing I ever heard that church makes a mockery of it's flock blatantly yet people still believe the crap they say,of course he will say something to deflect from himself and his minions

Sadly it’s not a catholic/ church only issue, it’s still hiddenin many aspects of society.
Plenty of secular organisations that have terrible things to hide

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

True.....

Revalations spells it out.....what will happen to the bunch....... it's not good

Held up in front of all to shame.....that comes after the city is burned to the ground.....

Why, for the blood of the Saints............

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   

THE POPE was the one who chose the parable. OP was quoting THE POPE and his comparison to the Prodigal Son.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

THE POPE was the one who chose the parable. OP was quoting THE POPE and his comparison to the Prodigal Son.

Yeah, that's how I interpreted it too.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

That makes it even worse that the Pope with all his wisdom, who knows that verse about the mill stone decide to use such an out of touch analogy with the prodigal son reference. The prodigal son is about someone who left the faith altogether and realizes his ignorance and returns to his father. These priest were not ignorant they knew exactly what they were doing.

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DpatC

Yesterday, he led those gathered in a penitential liturgy, saying: "We must say, like the prodigal son: 'Father, I have sinned'".

Clearly, this Pope is not 'enlightened' (informed) as to what REALLY is what; indicating NO ONE ELSE within his clergy is either. The entire 'liturgy' you posted is an assault on human decency. God cares not a whit regarding sinning (non-judgemental) as its part of IT's own growth process.

edit on 25-2-2019 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
a reply to: Raggedyman

True.....Revalations spells it out.....what will happen to the bunch....... it's not good
Held up in front of all to shame.....that comes after the city is burned to the ground.....
Why, for the blood of the Saints............

The bunch will first have to 'believe' in Revelations for it to carry out. You invent your own situations including a vacation in hell if you believe it exists. You are the creator of your own destiny in life and afterlife.
edit on 25-2-2019 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DpatC

They need to actually follow God, instead of preaching to the quire, with fancy words and speeches etc…

They also need to do what Jesus taught in this verse below…

Matthew 5:23:24
Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.

“First be reconciled to your brother”…meaning…go seek forgiveness from those you have wronged first…and only then ask for God’s forgiveness….

Hiding behind a religious organization is just pure cowardice imo…

Every Priest who has ever harmed a child…needs to get out there and ask forgiveness from those they have wronged. Even is they get spat on, or something even worse…they must face the consequences like a man…

But of course they won’t do that…because they are not real men of God…

- JC

top topics

join