It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We A Rape Culture Bolstered by Our Tax Dollars?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   
$150,000,000+ a year, plus the societal ramification laid out here, in a short-story.

There was a childhood friend (James) I grew up with, good family, never did anything truly bad, just mischievous things that only hurt himself, like many young men do. From what I remember he did more good things, than bad. Until he made a silly mistake one day.

Fast-forward to around his 17th birthday where he was coerced, by a group of friends, and an undercover officer to purchase Marijuana, in a honey-pot bust, where multiple dummies were arrested. James got 1 year in jail, and served 6 months for good behavior in a hell-hole, because he nor his parents had the money to retain a high-profile attorney, so he end up with mediocre public legal representation; he had no priors either.

It’s well known that privatized prisons have been tainted by bribes, and people in trusted positions; they’ve sold out for kick-backs to keep our privatize correctional system, at maximum capacity. It’s a big business, and a booming one, in the USA. The cost to house inmates can be anywhere from $31,000.00 to $60,000.00, and that is if they are healthy, and not needing constant medical care.

Let’s do some math now.

Approximately 2.3 million people are incarcerated, in correctional institutions, and additional 4.5 million are on parole. So conservatively we take 2.3 million times 45k equals around 105 billion dollars annually. Now the parolee’s 4.5 million times $30.00 a day times 365 days a year equals another 50 billion, so total we’re looking at $155,000,000,000 billion a year industry.

"I hope they get a cell with Bubba", ever hear those ignorant comments?

Or "they’ll get what they deserve in jail"

Guess what? All that vileness, eventually ends up back on the streets, sooner than later, and many times worse than when they went in. The term “Correctional facility” is far from correctional. The ignorance on societies part is, who pays for these situations financially, emotionally, physically, and psychologically?

(James at 17) is now in prison with adult males, he’s being repeatedly raped by older men, and passed around like a sex-toy, no one ever hears his screams, or when they do, they ignore them. It’s ok because James is in jail and deserves to be raped, and we all know how jail is, so no worries it happens.

25 years later James is still struggling with all kinds of mental issues, been through a couple of marriages and has 5 children, but has managed not to end up in jail again. He was sobbing as he told me jail ruined him. He has tried to pick himself up many times, but has always ended up falling down.

James has attempted to take his life multiple times……………..guess who gets to pay for all this? At taxpayer expense he is on Medicaid to the tune of $45k each time……………3 attempts………..equals 135k, plus all the public assistance that he, and his fragmented families get, because of a failed protocol.

James isn’t the center of the story, but rather the implications of the for profit “Rape Culture” we are spawning in so called correctional institutions, that are failures on almost every level.

What is the cost to allow rape in jails at any level?

Are we teaching/allowing that rape is OK, in a correctional facility, however when inmates are released do we think the majority of them can separate this out?

edit on 21-2-2019 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I'll keep this simple.
Yes you are, and many other nations as well.

Prison is a business, and business is good.
The american prison system is one of the worst in the word, but I live in South Africa.
You cannot compare.

Here you commit suicide if you're going to prison. Because death is the better option.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

The irony of our penal systems are that instead of protecting society, they actually create an exponential vileness that infects more people as time moves on.

"Destructional Facilites: would be a more suitable name.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

You didn't have to go as extreme as jail rape to make the point. Heck, how many actors/journalists/ presidents/athletes/ /politicians are committing rape... imagine those not yet caught.

A raped inmate is no less than a raped child by a priest, actor, producer, athlete, politician

So yes. We live in a rape culture and its acceptable as a show of power and status in America.

The only reason why this rape culture isn't more of an outrage is because it's not all tied to religion. Everyone knows someone who was raped or knows someone who knows someone who was raped

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
a reply to: Realtruth

You didn't have to go as extreme as jail rape to make the point. Heck, how many actors/journalists/ presidents/athletes/ /politicians are committing rape... imagine those not yet caught.

This topic was not to diminish other rapes, but rather look at the full implications of "Prison Rape", and the ripple-effect it has. People that would normally not have been exposed to rape, get tossed into a system that looks the other way to rape.

Prison rape doesn't get the spotlight often, because people are brainwashed into thinking, it's ok, and part of the program, however the impact on our society is huge.

en.wikipedia.org...

A 1986 study by Daniel Lockwood put the number at around 23 percent[8] for maximum security prisons in New York.

edit on 21-2-2019 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This entire op is off.

There's not some giant prison rape culture.

Too much Hollywood.

The majority of it is by choice.

Don't go to prison with a drug habit.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
This entire op is off.

There's not some giant prison rape culture.

Too much Hollywood.

The majority of it is by choice.

Don't go to prison with a drug habit.

I worked in law-enforcement for a number of years, then left. I had the opportunity to see, and experience things most people never get to.

As for Hollywood, I don't have cable nor a TV, and have not in over a decade. However I will agree that social ignorance and brain-washing seem to be easy with, as you say Hollywood.

As for your callousness on drug habits, many states have decriminalized, and made legal drugs that got people put in jail for life, and rightly so.

And for prison rape culture, well ignorance and denial are a right many people can afford to have, as long as they, or a loved one don't end up in jail.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
It is common knowledge rape occurs in jails and prisons?

It is not always ignored or swept under the rug.

The two type of cases I hate the most, is rape of a child, and rapes that involve incarcerated individuals and claims of rape against law enforcement.

The cases involving claims of rape against law enforcement, or incarcerated individuals, automatically increases my processing time by 500%. There is no such thing as an average or standard case, but an average time for an uncomplicated case is between one to two hours. These are claims that are not taken lightly and regardless of the time, day or night, the folk at the top are notified and everything goes into super scrutiny mode on steroids. It can take over eight hours to process a case that involves the police or the incarcerated, and I am speaking only about my part.

You can't misstep in any way. You can't even sneeze, and you can rest assured if it goes to trial you will have your life on hold for years.

I am sure all things are not equal and in many places it may not be treated the same way, but all places don't treat rape of the vulnerable blindly or without concern.

I do agree though that there are some that make a healthy profit off the misery and misfortune of others.

top topics

join