It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Flash observed near big dipper @18:58CET

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I was looking at the sky, few clouds and a skinny moon, as I do often and I happend to catch this big flash. It lasted maybe half a second, or a second, I'm not quite sure when it started and when I spotted it. But what I do remember is, it was big. Well, big for the regular flashes I observe. And it happend right next to Dubhe of the big dipper. I looked the name of the star up, but I'm 100% confident it was there. I'm also pretty confident about the time. It was a few minutes to 19:00, best guess somewhere between minute 57-59. My location is near Heerlen in the south of the Netherlands.

I looked for a good two minutes to see a repeat, possibly on the move. But observed nothing, other then a satellite going east to west about 10-15 degrees below Dubhe. Big dipper was in the north east, with Dubhe being the highest up to the right and the handle pointing down to the left. The flash was just to the right of Dubhe, like right next to it. Thats why I got such a good sense of the size.
Dubhe is a pretty bright star in my light polluted sky, and while this flash was not very bright, it was big in size, like 20-30 times the diameter of Dubhe. It was a warm almost fuzzy light. Did not last long, 1 sec max. It looked almost like a square with round of edges, but thats just how it felt. The light was not bright or sharp or flashy. It was, well, fuzzy. Not blue, more white and a little yellow. I just got the distinct feeling this light was comming from far away.

Is it even possible to observe things from space like a supernova with the naked eye? Or is this propably something much closer to earth?

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Sounds like the flash when a small meteor comes into the atmosphere....straight at you. Of course, it isn't probably going to hit you, that is way up, but gravity will cause the remnants of the meteor to be pulled straight down or in the case of dust left, float all over. I do not know if this is what you saw, but I have seen a flash like that many times and know what they are.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
You can check to see if it was an iridium flare.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I keep seeing threads about mystery flashes and wonder if its anything to do with the Cygnus rubbish bin.

But on investigation its not, it's coming down later in the month after doing a couple of other bits and bobs.

Still, something to look out for.
edit on 11-2-2019 by maxey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   
There was one but it may have been earlier based on your time. close to 17:45.

Check flares info here

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Ive seen the impressive lightshow an irridiumflare produces but you can clearly see it is moving as it flares, this flash was static.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Likely as not, RoadGravel pegged it. Iridium Flares have produced flashes in excess of -8 magnitude and that is BRIGHT!

Sadly, they will no longer be visible, as they are being phased out.

As a skywatcher, I'm quite sad this is the case, however human progress moves forward. I hope it does represent "progress'.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Iridium 5 was passing right near there but seems like a couple minutes later than you say:
www.heavens-above.com...

Other possibility is Envisat: www.heavens-above.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus
Likely as not, RoadGravel pegged it. Iridium Flares have produced flashes in excess of -8 magnitude and that is BRIGHT!

Sadly, they will no longer be visible, as they are being phased out.

As a skywatcher, I'm quite sad this is the case, however human progress moves forward. I hope it does represent "progress'.

RoadGravels' explanation is a good possible explanation, but so is Rickey Mouse's explanation another possible one.

There is such a thing as a meteor that is moving in a direction generally toward an observer, in which case the observer would not see the long streak of a tail, but rather that streak would be foreshortened.

If it's moving "just in the right direction", that foreshortening could be extreme, and all the observer would sees is a stationary flash.

edit on 2/11/2019 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
You called it a flash.....I see em all the time and have cataloged em

Now Harvard scientists are modifying the weather right now....Try In to freeze the North a little....

True story, Also I have a pvs 14 and an Armasight thingy triple snooper

And below the Big Ripper is a spot of renown for flashes and the location of the home planet of some purported travelers, I forget

That's what caught my attention ........special watched area....4 to 7 degrees below.....somthin like that

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
You guys his gotta get a pvs 14.....with a Pinnacle tube......see your first triangle craft at night in two outings....2 hours each....
edit on 11-2-2019 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

edit on 11-2-2019 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

top topics

join