It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How air traffic controllers helped end the shutdown — and changed history

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Power to da People!

Anyway, this actually may have some implications for this upcoming shutdown. Seems just 10 ATC boys and girls got sick which in turn made just two airports in Florida and New Jersey untenable to control aircraft, which then threatened to shut down the entire US air travel due to planes stacking up and other airports not able to handle the capacity.

Allegedly the shutdown ended just hours after this got back to D.C(Den of Crackeads). If so, holy moly that there is some real power. The actual ATC workers were in fear of their own unions as well, which shows you who they really look out for...and it aint Bob workin a 12 on a Saturday.

I wish there was some more sources, like an ATC blog, but they wouldn't put anything like that out there, cuz in 4 days, I am betting we will be back in shutdown mode.

www.washingtonpost.com...

To add, I just found this, but the diff here is that it is not illegal for flight crews to go on strike. Great read and good on these peeps for tossing the two finger salute to DC(Den of Criminals).

jacobinmag.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Reagan fired 11k atc's

www.google.com...

Just to remind them to not get to cocky....

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

You would work for free? For two months? While your bosses got paid? No.

Besides, there were a lot then, there is barely enough to keep the system going now. Until AI gets going anyway.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

You would work for free? For two months? While your bosses got paid? No.

Besides, there were a lot then, there is barely enough to keep the system going now. Until AI gets going anyway.

They aren't working for free. They just won't get paid for the work they do until the shut down is over. If they choose not to work, then they shouldn't expect to be paid!

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Multiple thousands of workers did that very thing.

And it wasnt working for free.
They got paid.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Yeah, cuz that's normal. In the meantime, the bosses are getting paid.

Anyway, this was turnabout and hopefully has some bearing on the next shutdown. Along with some wall money and some better immigration legislation....bwahahha

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
horribly biased article

Trump bad, Pelosi good

I seriously doubt Trump was motivated by air traffic issues. the democrats certainly didn't care

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

Yeah, cuz that's normal. In the meantime, the bosses are getting paid.

Anyway, this was turnabout and hopefully has some bearing on the next shutdown. Along with some wall money and some better immigration legislation....bwahahha

Wall money is non sequitur to your argument. The issue is, you are laughing that these people are refusing to work. Fine, they can do that. Let the union pay them for choosing to protest.

Bottom line, they refuse to work, they won't get paid for doing so.

I make under 20k a year and have 2 months of what I make set aside for issues just like this. These people earn 6 digits and live large. Sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for people who live beyond their means and refuse to save for a rainy day. If I can do it, they sure as hell can.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I was in the military for Obama's shutdown. It aint nice or cool for them to play with your money. We got paid, but its the worry...and for what? So we can have our credit rating knocked.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Neither side cared.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   

You had a shutdown with a Democrat president and now a Republican.

Bipartisan blame?
Or do you have a side to blame?

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Laughing at them not working? How in Gods name did you draw that connection?
Apples and oranges. Your paycheck is for work you ALREADY did. And you would spaz if your boss said I'm not gonna pay you for a couple months but you need to keep on working.

Tell your creditors that. Oh, but the bosses get paid.

I don't care what you make a year...I could just as easily tell you to go get a second job, but that is not within the scope of the OP really.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Ooooooooh. I get it....you are trying to pigeonhole me into being some liberal. Nah, buddy, check my post history....you ain't gonna pigeonhole me on anything.

The OP is about a tiny group of people who may or may not have has a significant impact on the shutdown.

Personally I blame all both sides....then and now.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Maybe ATC's should Learn to Code..

Worked well when dems told coal workers to do it.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I asked a question to make your position clear.
No pigeons.
No name calling.

And I think that this few atc's having any effect on the shutdown is rather silly.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
May be. But I will be watching this next shutdown to see if anything like it happens again.

And just because you disagree, doesn't make it so.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I asked a question to make your position clear.
No pigeons.
No name calling.

And I think that this few atc's having any effect on the shutdown is rather silly.

I agree with the OP, in that this was the catalyst to ending the shutdown. I was in Mexico when this all took place, and I can tell you first hand, those who traveled, were watching really closely. The cascade effect the ATC workers had was exponential and really fast. I think it was seen and addressed before it caused real life or death issues.

We didn't have a plan B for that scenario. And blame for the shutdown is a comical discussion. It happened, and until both groups learn to communicate properly, it will likely happen again. Trick is, this won't be forgotten and will likely be used as a tool next time.

Government shutdowns are ignorant. Next time, put everyone who can't get along in a room and tell them, they can leave when they fixed their problems. Till they do, don't come out.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Thanks....thats all i wanted to know really. So now I will be watching this if the next shutdown occurs. Thats a helkuva thing aint it. 10 peeps got the government back to work as opposed to the 500 or so that we pay to run it.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
horribly biased article

Trump bad, Pelosi good

I seriously doubt Trump was motivated by air traffic issues. the democrats certainly didn't care

Haha lol
,ahahahahah I know I shouldn't laugh but

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Who 'owns' the FAA & ATC?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join