It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Financial preparedness for an emergency

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: TinySickTears

They will get paid...

but they are not
as in currently

thats the problem

Government is shut down... why would they get paid? They ought to be thankful they even get back pay considering they weren't working.

In the private sector, companies shut down or layoff all the time. Again, govt employees aren't special.

If anything I think we are seeing that a lot of these employees are "non-essential". The world has not ended. The sun and moon still rose.

It is too early to really say they are non-essential. We'll see if this drags out if that sentiment stays.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

At what point should there be consequences for utter stupidity?

These people know damn well political rifts cause these shutdowns all the time, yet they do nothing to insulate themselves for when it happens.

They've adopted their employer's fiscal mentality: spend, spend, spend, spend, spend, spend, without a thought as to where the resources are coming from.

They're stupid. Learn from the past. Save some money FFS. It's really hard to feel for these morons.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Government is shut down... why would they get paid? They ought to be thankful they even get back pay considering they weren't working.

In the private sector, companies shut down or layoff all the time. Again, govt employees aren't special.

what are you talking about?

people are working and are not getting paid. those are the people i am talking about.
so why did you address something else?

companies do lay off all the time.
i got laid off last 2 weeks of december.
lost a check.
found out the day before it started that i was getting laid off.

it wasnt terrible. if i missed a few it would be bad.

i just chilled at home and relaxed.
i did not get paid. i did not work. it is what it is

if i had worked that would have been a way different story.

as i said the amount of money they have in savings or their money management skills has no bearing on this at all.

if a person works they should get paid.
it is so simple.

not will get paid. not at some point.
now

you work you should get paid

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

cool.
theyre stupid

still should be paid on schedule for work performed.

i didnt realize their were so many pricks on ATS
the list is growing fast

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   

At what point should people take responsibility for their own stupidity?

Never?

No wonder everything is a total s# storm.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
While I do understand that things happen that people do not expect, It sure seems like very FEW learn from the past.
My father worked for GM in the 70's and 80's. They had lay offs. They didn't always know how long they would be. So he always put money aside. Always. Even if he could get unemployment.
He always told us to put money away. You'll never know when you'll need it.

I recent lost a job, that I never saw coming. I was floored! But guess what? I had put money away. I was able to keep my house, eat, and keep the lights on.

I get it, when people are living paycheck to paycheck, it can be very hard to put 5-10 a week away. But it may very well save you someday.
As for the government workers, I get it. But this is not the first time our government has shut down. You really, really only need to look into the recent past, to realize you need to prepare for the future.

Peanut butter and jelly a couple times a week, has not killed me yet.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

So ATS, I ask you, before you belittle anyones finances think about your life, and was there EVER, ever a time in your life when you would have been struggling without a paycheck? Or did you have 6 months saved up at birth? I for the life of me don't understand how people are making fun of people that are actually working!

Well said!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

At what point should there be consequences for utter stupidity?

These people know damn well political rifts cause these shutdowns all the time, yet they do nothing to insulate themselves for when it happens.

They've adopted their employer's fiscal mentality: spend, spend, spend, spend, spend, spend, without a thought as to where the resources are coming from.

They're stupid. Learn from the past. Save some money FFS. It's really hard to feel for these morons.

How do you know what someone else is dealing with in their life?

What working knowledge do you have on any of the people that missed their last paycheck due to the shutdown to call them stupid or morons?

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 04:42 AM
link   
The fast-term savings fund is for future prices like holidays or a down charge. An emergency fund facilitates when things arise like car upkeep or medical doctor bills, to keep away from buying them with high-hobby debt like credit score playing cards or quick-time period loans.

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

I for the life of me don't understand how people are making fun of people that are actually working!

It’s just an easy way for people to not think about it. “Oh, it’s their fault if they can’t live without being paid.” “They should have had more savings!”

It’s easier to blame the people suffering than it is the people who are responsible for the shutdown. Especially when you’re talking about the ultra-right wing extremist view that most people on ATS subscribe to.

“I got mine, so screw you!” —That’s it in a nutshell, and it’s why the country is the way it is right now. Empathy has taken a back seat to money. When that happens, the end isn’t far away.

As always there is no generalisation to be made, however it's undoubtedly true that a large percentage of those people who live pay cheque to pay cheque do so because they spend their money on things they don't need as opposed to saving. New phones, TV's , cars.. all financed and bought when their old stuff was perfectly fine. Saving goes out the window. It absolutely IS their own fault if they suffer because they have not saved any money.

If you don't have the finances to live for at least 2 years with no income, then you are in trouble. Time to stop buying anything but the essentials and to put money aside. The OP is obviously smart and learned well from his parents experience.

edit on 16/1/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: NthOther

cool.
theyre stupid

still should be paid on schedule for work performed.

i didnt realize their were so many pricks on ATS
the list is growing fast

It might be harsh, but do you not think that people are buying all sorts of crap they don't need instead of saving? I'd say there are and I'd say these people are stupid.

That said, the kind of stupidity they exhibit is easy to fall into. The culture of consumerism has a lot to do with it.

edit on 16/1/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2019 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

I already agreed

Does not make it ok to not pay them for their work.

1 dollar in the bank or 10k.
If they are working they should get paid.
On time.
Not at some point in the future.

You are all turning this into a money management issue on their part and laying blame.

None of that changes the fact they should be paid.

posted on Jan, 19 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   
"Not every one is fortunate enough to have thousands in savings."

That is true, but fortune does not apply in the majority of cases where a person does have thousands in savings.

Yes, there are plenty of truly-unfortunate life's realities that occur to prevent people from saving up a rainy day fund or a nest egg.

But there are also a whole lot of people that habitually spend way beyond their means for 'wants', not actual needs.

The catch is this: the desire for instant gratification is currently at epidemic proportions in most developed countries, and it has become an uncontrollable need. It would not surprise me to discover this problem is directly related to addiction to instant media (social media, etc.). People have trained themselves to behave this way.

I read a report a few months back that claimed the average credit card debt among American consumers was more than $12,000. That's the average. And it doesn't include mortgage loans, vehicle loans, etc.

When I was a kid, we had one black and white TV in the house, no air conditioning, and mom made much of our clothing (and a lot of other similar stuff). My parents sacrificed much in the way of comforts and wants, but our needs were met. These needs included having money in savings.

Both my parents are gone, but I still say thanks to them every day for instilling some discipline in a hard-headed little punk kid.

Love you mom and dad

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join