It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who will cave first, The President or Congressional leaders on the Shut Down?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I looked it up, and Congress COULD override his veto. So if they can come up with something that has 60% support from the senate, they can override any veto he could present.

So it depends on how fast the Republicans get fed up with him.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
The only people that ahould care are those on the border and I bet most of them would love a wall.

Not true here in Texas. Certainly not true in California and might not be true in Arizona.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

The only people that ahould care are those on the border and I bet most of them would love a wall.

Not true here in Texas. Certainly not true in California and might not be true in Arizona.

Nah the people who own the land that borders Mexico would want it. They all already have a fence why wouldnt they want the wall?

And I think you are dreaming if you dont think most of Texas supports Trump and his wall

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 01:16 AM
link   
While it may appear good to some, the reality is going to be much different.

Right now departments are shut down, and some will think that it is going to be a good thing, however, what may seem like a good thing, often has real consequences in the long run.

The initial shut down, means that national parks are shut down, that some of the things that are taken care of, is not, like trash and sewage. Those departments that are still working, are operating on a finite funding. A short shut down is costly, but a blip, and a costly restart up will be there. However, a longer shut down will have more of an impact on the country and the people.

So tax refunds will not be sent out, many of the government contractors are going to go without, as they will not get paid and thus many will have to find jobs elsewhere. What departments that are running, are only on a limited time, as the money is finite.

So what happens in say a month, when the money runs out? The federal courts are slowing down, to be at a trickle, so the justice is not going to be there. If this continues on, the food stamps will run out, as the funding is not there, how long till the Vets are affected? Will it be a good thing, when the vets are affected? How about the military? What happens when the very military that are there to protect the country, is not paid? What will the people say when the first military families are homeless, when they are living off base and there is not enough housing on base to house them?

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig

While it may appear good to some, the reality is going to be much different.

Right now departments are shut down, and some will think that it is going to be a good thing, however, what may seem like a good thing, often has real consequences in the long run.

The initial shut down, means that national parks are shut down, that some of the things that are taken care of, is not, like trash and sewage. Those departments that are still working, are operating on a finite funding. A short shut down is costly, but a blip, and a costly restart up will be there. However, a longer shut down will have more of an impact on the country and the people.

So tax refunds will not be sent out, many of the government contractors are going to go without, as they will not get paid and thus many will have to find jobs elsewhere. What departments that are running, are only on a limited time, as the money is finite.

So what happens in say a month, when the money runs out? The federal courts are slowing down, to be at a trickle, so the justice is not going to be there. If this continues on, the food stamps will run out, as the funding is not there, how long till the Vets are affected? Will it be a good thing, when the vets are affected? How about the military? What happens when the very military that are there to protect the country, is not paid? What will the people say when the first military families are homeless, when they are living off base and there is not enough housing on base to house them?

Well, people need to face reality these days. Life is not easy.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   
It seems like a deadlock to me. I don't think either side will back down, maybe Congress will have to get past Trump's veto or Trump will find another way to get his wall? Or Trump could be impeached to end the shutdown, after quite a while?

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Lol
Yes it is wanted in texas
Just not in austin

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Nah the people who own the land that borders Mexico would want it. They all already have a fence why wouldnt they want the wall?

And I think you are dreaming if you dont think most of Texas supports Trump and his wall

I live here and I'm an election judge and heard folks talking about how they were voting, so I'm pretty sure that folks in the larger cities and in the border cities don't want it. If you lived here in Texas you would have been reading about the uproar over things that would be destroyed (the butterfly sanctuary is set to be bulldozed next month.) Some ranchers want it, but some don't. And roughly 1/3 of the state is Hispanic ancestry and they'd like reforms on border access but they're not in favor of a wall.

Nobody minds beefing up border security: patrols, things that are working already. There was a plan to do patrol via drone, which made sense and wasn't horrendously expensive.

But the wall? Nope. Lots of us are against it. And Texas is not "reliably red" these days.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Lol
Just not in austin

Or Dallas. Or Ft. Worth. Or El Paso. Or San Antonio. I'm reasonably sure Del Rio doesn't want it. Dunno about Houston.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Lol
Just not in austin

Or Dallas. Or Ft. Worth. Or El Paso. Or San Antonio. I'm reasonably sure Del Rio doesn't want it. Dunno about Houston.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Lol
Just not in austin

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Yep! I'm on the border in AZ.

A fence is one thing - - a monstrous cement wall is another.

It's becoming like North and South Korea. There are families on both sides of the border. We are so going backwards.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join