It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What it would really take for the US to build the Wall if approved.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I always put the commas in every thousands.

is harder to read than

For me, at least.

But I'm getting old.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Tax all money leaving the USA for Mexico/Latin America at 60-75%.

Wall paid for in no time and Mexico does pay for it. And an added benefit is that once illegals realize that 3/4 of the money they send will be seized they might just stay home.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: FilthyUSMonkey
a reply to: rickymouse

Maybe you should speak to Homeland Security to change the specifications for the wall?

I am sure that Trump has thought of that and his attorneys and people have told him that it has to be done a different way already. They probably told him no just by looking at the smoke coming out of his ears and the sound of gears grinding.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

I think you need to research the DoD's Army Corps of Engineers. They have built some of our country's largest protective barriers & thoroughfares, from levies in New Orleans and the Florida Everglades to most of Mississippi river's protections, they built the Panama canal, they built the Washington Monument, they built the Bonneville dam, they built the Pentagon, they built the Los Angeles River, they built the King Khalid Military City, an $8.5 billion base in Saudi Arabia; they built the library of Congress, they built the modern St. Lawrence Seaway, they built the Intra-Coastal Waterway, they built our ICBM silos, they built the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, they built the Vehicle Assembly Building at Cape Kennedy (space shuttle storage building), they built the Folsom dam, they built the Lincoln Memorial, they built the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway. They also built the original border fence already in existence.

What makes you think that "DOD has no experience in this type of large scale construction."? They're the only ones with this experience in the USA.
edit on 3-1-2019 by JBIZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Interesting idea.

Tax all money leaving the USA for Mexico/Latin America at 60-75%. Wall paid for in no time and Mexico does pay for it. And an added benefit is that once illegals realize that 3/4 of the money they send will be seized they might just stay home.

Any attempt to seize the remittances from such families would be devastating. Fluctuating between $20 billion and $25 billion annually during the past decade, remittances from the United States have amounted to about 3 percent of Mexico’s GDP, representing the third–largest source of foreign revenue after oil and tourism. The remittances enable human and economic development throughout the country, and this in turn reduces the incentives for further migration to the United States—precisely what Trump is aiming to do.

Source

Would reducing remittances (if that's what you are talking about) possibly have the reverse effect of increasing immigration?

Then again you are dragging this tread off topic. If you reread the tread, you will note that the basic assumption is that Congress has already decided to build the wall. Once again, this thread is a technical discussion of what would happen after the wall was authorized and funded.

Please feel free to discuss the OP, and not fight a fight that is not included in the thread.
edit on 3-1-2019 by FilthyUSMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JBIZZ

OK, good point.

Lets image that we change DHS to DOD in my OP.

Anything to add?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   

i am greatly amused :

the turks are in the process of bui;ding a 800 km wall - with minimal problems arising

but certain people think that the USA building a 3000 km wall is " impossible "

PS - the turks wall is working

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Are you referring to me?

I am fully confident we can build the wall per DHS specifications. The Chinese built their wall with mostly human labor.

I am explaining the process that would occur if the Congress decided to build the wall. I think I used fair timelines, based upon what other large Programs have required for the Federal Government to accomplish a set of requirements. I may have been overly optimistic, considering the legal problems with eminent domain to acquire the land and to negotiate compensation and face lawsuits, and EPA environmental concerns.

No, the US could build this wall if Congress had the will. I estimate that it would take at least 4-10 years till completion.

PS - the turks wall is working

PS - Once again this thread is not about if we should build a wall or if it will work. Please reread the OP again. Please quit trying to fight the fights you are used to in other threads that have other agendas.

Anything to add that pertains to the OP?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
What it would really take for the US to build the Wall if approved

Realistically ?

Thousands of people, on a pharaonic scale,
laying muck, placing bricks, hauling timber

Ardent Trump Defense Syndromer's,
could though, set up a crowd funder
"1 brick 1 dollar for Mexico "

Or even better: official brick laying days !!

Friends and familly group together, in all conviviality
all tooled up with trowels, chisels and hammers ..
pledging to complete a portion of "The Wall"...

Would 3m x 2m be too much of an ask for a Sunday afternoon ?
Call it "The People's Wall" !

The spur-bone challenged, are, of course, exempted from participating !

edit on 3-1-2019 by Cassi3l because: Making Mary Poppins Sexy Again

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Cassi3l

I will bring my banjo and some home made pickled herring.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Construction of the wall started in San Diego on June 1st of last year. See the link below regarding DHS's internal report of how long it will take to build it. They say by the end of 2020. The border is being secured regardless of what Trump or leftist politicians say. One can be assured there will not he open borders. This is all political optics nonsense from both sides.

www.dailywire.com...
edit on 3-1-2019 by JBIZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I agree. Lots of bias and partisanship regarding this wall. Seems no side wants a scrutinized plan with long term support and funding.

It just seems like each side wants to win their political debacle.

Another dumbed down partisan political debate where both sides receive an F for failing to display any substantial argument.

edit on 3-1-2019 by SilentSaturn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBIZZ
Construction of the wall started in San Diego on June 1st of last year. See the link below regarding DHS's internal report of how long it will take to build it. They say by the end of 2020. The border is being secured regardless of what Trump or leftist politicians say. One can be assured there will not he open borders. This is all political optics nonsense from both sides.

www.dailywire.com...

Are eminent domain grabs unable to be appealed in court?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBIZZ

www.dailywire.com...

Your article is old (February 10, 2017), and assumes that construct would begin even before it was published. Here is an update:

New

October 15, 2018

ouse Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy introduced legislation on Friday to provide U.S. Customs and Border Protection $23.4 billion to build a border wall with Mexico. The amount, McCarthy says, brings total funds for the project to the $25 billion that President Trump has requested. But Congress would trickle the money to CBP over a period of seven years, and each year’s allocation would be available for five years after the appropriation. The bill’s funds, then, span 12 years, reflecting the uncertainty of how long construction may take.

A report prepared for the Department of Homeland Security last February estimated that the project could be completed by the end of Trump’s presidential term. After negotiations between congressional Republicans and Democrats to satisfy the president’s wall request fell apart earlier this year, however, that time frame is long past irrelevant.

A more realistic assessment is a comment House Speaker Paul Ryan made at the National Press Club last week. “There is wall being built right now. Forty miles are under construction right now, 80 miles are in the queue, so the construction’s ongoing. It’s just in fits and starts in annual appropriations,” the retiring Republican stated. “What the president wants to do is get a bigger down payment so we can get it being built faster. That down payment amounts to $5.51 billion in fiscal year 2019 in the McCarthy legislation, with yearly funds between $1.72 billion and $2.14 billion disbursed thereafter. (The total for the actual wall is $16.6 billion; the remaining $6.78 billion that fills out the bill’s price tag is for infrastructure and technology along the border.) But it’s uncertain how quickly it could be spent: Politics aside, the federal government must deal with securing land from property owners in Texas— an ugly saga previously, when the executive branch began carrying out the Secure Fence Act from a decade ago.

But Congress would trickle the money to CBP over a period of seven years, and each year’s allocation would be available for five years after the appropriation. The bill’s funds, then, span 12 years, reflecting the uncertainty of how long construction may take.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Less than what we spend protecting other countries!

Actually the investment (whatever it is) will pay for itself in a few years time. (Lives saved, Drugs Stopped...less public money spent on Welfare, Police investigations, and Healthcare costs for illegals and drug overdoses.)

It could be made even more profitable. Top it with a four lane Pacific to Rio expressway with rail service. Add solar panels and wind turbines.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Propagandalf
a reply to: amazing

A wall/fence by itself is nothing.

That's not quite true, especially if you look at it from the perspective of someone considering joining a caravan, walking thousands of miles, knowing that at the end lies a 30-50 ft wall. It's massive deterrent.

And there's a point to that. I think most people understand there is a fence and border patrol and it's not easy to cross. But look at places where a wall could be considered to be a success, like Israel. Their border with the Palestinian territories is not just wall. They have towers and listening posts, all kinds of surveillance measures and drones and armed guards and stuff I haven't even mentioned here. A wall by itself would be useless there. Same with our Mexican border.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Point. Or just say 3145 km. Or if you really have to 3.145

Um a point = a decimal or fraction. 3.145 = 3 and 145/1000ths km
Commas are used to separate hundreds, thousands, ten thousands etc.

1,000,000 = 1 million whereas 1.000.000 is not a thing.

3145 can be written 3,145 but it cannot be written 3.145 - I think you have comma and point usage backwards.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 04:31 AM
link   

You do realize that sections of the wall such as in AZ and TX were already started and constructed 18 months ago and that funding was approved by Obama before he left office, right?

And it's not rocket science to build a wall nor is it a 100 story skyscraper. Several contractor firms already proto-typed wall construction demos a long time ago. The Army Corp of engineers are more than capable if needed; afterall they've built reservoirs, dams & bridges all over the country. We don't need a wall like in Game of Thrones but we need a barrier alittle more obvious than a cow fence.

Yes, it will take years to complete given all the red bureaucratic bs that has to be navigated through every contractor, state, county, rancher, and environmentalists, etc.

Also, according to DJT:

Mexico is paying for the Wall through the new USMCA Trade Deal. Much of the Wall has already been fully renovated or built. We have done a lot of work. $5.6 Billion Dollars that House has approved is very little in comparison to the benefits of National Security. Quick payback!

twitter.com...

I hope part of the wall funding includes sensors or UAV/Drones equipped with GPR for tunnel detection.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

In Europe the use of decimals and commas is reversed from what it is in America.

I'm kind of amazed this is the first time I've seen people have an issue with the difference on this site.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: EndtheMadnessNow

And it's not rocket science to build a wall nor is it a 100 story skyscraper. Several contractor firms already proto-typed wall construction demos a long time ago. The Army Corp of engineers are more than capable if needed; afterall they've built reservoirs, dams & bridges all over the country. We don't need a wall like in Game of Thrones but we need a barrier alittle more obvious than a cow fence.

I, personally, would like to see a wall 50' high on the south side and have a four lane interstate highway on its top. All the way from Brownsville, Texas to San Diego, Calif. I think this would serve as both a deterrent to passage northward and a good piece of needed infrastructure.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join